Hardtack

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by SHOOTER Z, Dec 22, 2007.

1. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

Army Hardtack Recipe
    Ingredients:

4 cups flour (perferably whole wheat)
    4 teaspoons salt
    Water (about 2 cups)
    Pre-heat oven to 375° F
    Makes about 10 pieces
    Mix the flour and salt together in a bowl. Add just enough water (less than two cups) so that the mixture will stick together, producing a dough that won’t stick to hands, rolling pin or pan. Mix the dough by hand. Roll the dough out, shaping it roughly into a rectangle. Cut into the dough into squares about 3 x 3 inches and ½ inch thick.

After cutting the squares, press a pattern of four rows of four holes into each square, using a nail or other such object. Do not punch through the dough. The appearance you want is similar to that of a modern saltine cracker. Turn each square over and do the same thing to the other side.

Place the squares on an ungreased cookie sheet in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Turn each piece over and bake for another 30 minutes. The crackers should be slightly brown on both sides.

The fresh crackers are easily broken but as they dry, they harden and assume the consistentency of fired brick.

I've had this. Yes it is hard but if you mix it with bacon grease or use them in soups they taste good and last longer then regular bread or crackers

2. I made some hard tac a few years ago and my youngest daughter loved it. The wife was like "you expect ME to eat this"... LOL

Anyway, it makes a good field ration provided you have access to hot water and bullion cubes to soften it up and provide a bit of taste.

3. Hmm. Thanks. Can I squirt cheez whiz on it? :wink:

4. SHOOTER Z

I suppose youcould but I hope you have very strong jaws and good teeth as they ARE tough to chew

5. I had read somewhere that during the (war of northern aggresion ) the hardtack was soaked in bacon grease or chicory coffee to soften it up because their teeth was so bad that they couldn't chew it normally.
    Spot

6. SHOOTER Z

Nope it was during the war of southern rebellion :wink: They are very very hard hence the name hardtack you can't really sit and eat them like regular saltines

7. one of our teachers in H.S. or maybe middle school made some and brought i one time. I rather liked it!

9. I'll take that dare in the new year Rimfirehunter!

I could probably stand to put some of this up with the other foodstuffs, my wife and I are big cracker fans and our paranoia supplies are pretty soup heavy. Being as we both put a whole stick of crackers in the average bowl of soup, some hard tack would be both practical and palatable!

10. SHOOTER Z

Well, Just made up a batch and had some in tomato soup YUMMMY!! I guess i might make a few more and put it away for "rainy day"

11. neothespian

neothespian Member

12. SHOOTER Z

To be really honest Neo I call it " A Dark Time In America" Every time I see some of the war movies and mini series of the war years I sit there and shake my head and ask myself was it really worth it? Every time I see Gettysburg I am reminded of the time my cousin came home from making that movie "he was one of the reinacters they helped make it he said after they were done filming Picketts Charge they all stood around and some just cried over the loss.
    He also told me some scary ghost stories about that area also!

13. 69burbon

69burbon Well-Known Member

I'll have to make a batch of these. I've been thinking about it for some time, just haven't got to it.

I've always liked the crackers that you get in the MRE's I used to save all the coffee packets (cause I don't drink coffee) and trade for the crackers, cheese, peanut butter or sometimes a corn beef hash meal. Good Eatin!

14. SHOOTER Z

I still have about 5 or 6 packs of crackers from some MREs they are good :wink:

15. gunzenhausen

gunzenhausen Guest

http://www.twingroves.district96.k12.il.us/CivilWarPres/FeedingSoldiers.html

I think you guys will find this article interesting.

I remember first reading about ramrod cakes in Margaret Mitchell's classic "Gone With The Wind". My mother, a southern gal, made wonderful corn bread from scratch and often put chitlins in with it to give it extra flavor.

You could hear your arteries slamming shut with every bite. But boy was it good.

I intend to try the hardtack recipe. Thanks for all the information.