this was posted in the old forum and got lost so here we go again

Army Hardtack Recipe
Ingredients:

4 cups flour (perferably whole wheat)
4 teaspoons salt
Water (about 2 cups)
Pre-heat oven to 375° F
Makes about 10 pieces
Mix the flour and salt together in a bowl. Add just enough water (less than two cups) so that the mixture will stick together, producing a dough that won’t stick to hands, rolling pin or pan. Mix the dough by hand. Roll the dough out, shaping it roughly into a rectangle. Cut into the dough into squares about 3 x 3 inches and ½ inch thick.

After cutting the squares, press a pattern of four rows of four holes into each square, using a nail or other such object. Do not punch through the dough. The appearance you want is similar to that of a modern saltine cracker. Turn each square over and do the same thing to the other side.

Place the squares on an ungreased cookie sheet in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Turn each piece over and bake for another 30 minutes. The crackers should be slightly brown on both sides.

The fresh crackers are easily broken but as they dry, they harden and assume the consistentency of fired brick.

Make some, and save em, fry up some bacon and crumble them up in the grease. Yummy

·
Registered
799 Posts
Awsome staples based recipe tanks Shooter

·
Banned
4,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My mom and older sis used to make Christmas decorations using this recipe and cookie molds then coler them with food dye. This was 30 years ago, these things are still in use today!!

What is good is fry up some bacon crumble them up [may need a hammer] drop them in bacon rease and soften them up and fry em in the grease, Mmm Mmm Good!!

In the old days [civil war and out west] instead of a hammer they used the butt of their revolver to break em up

·
Banned
4,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They have some that were made in the civil war on display. I guess in other then dry conditions they won't last long. They used to get buggy after a while [just extra protein] The old days they used to carry them in tins to keep them dry and eatable

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I like the sounds of this hardtack. You can eat it or put it in a sock and use it as a weapon from the sounds of it. Gotta love a multi tasker.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
I just don't think it would be the same without the mealworms :sick:

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
When I was in high school, as a part of a project, I met with some WWII vets that were on Navy ships in the Pacific. They told me that, after a while at sea, they would joke that they had "raisin bread." There would be maggots or other bugs in the flour and they would end up getting baked into the bread. Extra protein!

·
Banned
4,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WHOOP I made a sticky!!

As for how long they last, You MUST let them cool before you pack them away to keep the moisture level down [this promotes mold]. They will last for years as long they are kept dry and sealed

·
Registered
366 Posts
+ 1 on the sticky,man!
im going to try this this weekend

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
They soaked them in the drippings from meat, soaked them in milk or coffee or whatever they had. When they were isolated and short on supplies they couldn't waste the calories in the grease!! Think, that and jerky. That was the main staples of the day for them. Makes MRS sound better and better, "C" rations were MUCH better!!

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
also, how long does this stuff in reality keep and still be edible?

SW
Will keep for years but wasn't edible in the first place. About like sheetrock :devilsidesmile:

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
Oh it's edible ya just gotta soak it a while or soften it up in bacon grease [it's good that way]
Granted, but plywood is also tasty if you soak it in bacon grease long enough, and has much more fiber :devilsidesmile:

·
Banned
4,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh it's edible ya just gotta soak it a while or soften it up in bacon grease [it's good that way]
Granted, but plywood is also tasty if you soak it in bacon grease long enough, and has much more fiber :devilsidesmile:
Now cmon there ya can't eat wood it's got too many splinters!! At LEAST this is food and a heck of a lot better then wood. I suppose next you'll want to eat cement too huh?

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
Now cmon there ya can't eat wood it's got too many splinters!! At LEAST this is food and a heck of a lot better then wood. I suppose next you'll want to eat cement too huh?
LOL, soak the cement in bacon grease and I'd give it a try :D. I'm a big fan of all things bacon!

"It's a pork fat thing" Emeril Lagassi :D

1 - 20 of 44 Posts