Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My grandpa has been hounding me to go hunting with him he's got a rem. 12 gauge he wants to hunt wild boar deer and other animals located in oklahoma i told him all i have is my carbine and a few pistols he said the carbine would work but i dont want to go hunting with him if i dont have the tools to get the job done. I just dont see such a little bullet bringing down such a big animal with out any problems like chasing the deer for miles after iv shot him

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so what about wild boar or actually what can i legally hunt with this thing I dont really care for hunting but it would mean alot to the old man if we went on a hunting trip i just like to shoot things alot and long distance targets are my thing

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
... but it would mean alot to the old man if we went on a hunting trip i just like to shoot things alot and long distance targets are my thing
I can't address legal issues, but if you want something reasonably cheap, and better suited to the kind of game you're talking about, get a Mosin. Don't get me wrong: I love my 995, but it's just not the right tool for the job.

·
Banned
19,436 Posts
9mm doesnt have the knockdown power to legally hunt deer in many (if any) states. it IS NOT in SD regarless of what it is fired from. i have knocked down coyotes, most small game, and one deer that had been hit by a car that i shot at point blank rnage to put it out of its misery.

SW

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
What can ya hunt w/your 995 you ask???
Have ya thought of COYOTES? Do ya have them in OK?

a 9mm would be a nice round for them, but ya might wanna use a hollow-point jus to make sure ya get em good. (assuming you don't need to keep holes in the pelt to the minimum).

Plus, the carbine is a nice size for hiding in the bushes. might be fun too to see how far out there you can tap them w/such a firearm... nice thing bout not having to manually jack another shell in is that you can fire again real quick if ya miss... :devilsidesmile:

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks coyote thats just my style sounds like fun and yes we are over ran with them that suggestion just filled up my next two weeks of free time I realy like the idea hiding in the bushes too. My favorite tho is how far away i can be to put one down I love a long shot makes ya feel good inside especialy when you got five buddys around you telling you theres no way in hell you can hit it

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
woo hoo! be sure & post pics younggunz!

if ya havn't hunted yotes b4 lemme warn ya... it's nearly as addicting as HP firearms ^-^, but ther ARE wiley, so ya may wanna read-up on it a bit... best starting place i know of for that: http://www.varmintal.com/ahunt.htm

I wanna see detailed reports with all the gritty details :devilsidesmile: maybe HPFF needs to open a hunting category? I know I hope to try my hand at hunting w/my JHP soon.

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
hey younggunz, if ya like Varmint Al then maybe it's time to see a carbine decorated using his techniques?

i love it personally... as you might guess from my hunting rack... :embarrassed2:

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've been wild boar hunting, and would NOT recommend a 995. Those are some tuff things to bring down, andI'd like a little more kick for that target. :angel:

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I live on the outskirts of duncan which is east of lawton out in the sticks. Coyote thats very creative and very nicely done you have a nicely filled gunrack your sparking my interests. thanks for the varmint site as well and you better believe il be posting pics and and all tha little details

·
Registered
70 Posts
for yotes use a +p hollow point and you will be good out to75-100yds if you use a scope and put in a lot of practice so you can judge drop 150yds, or maybe longer if your good, but put in the practice before you do a shot at that range 100rds minimum with the ammo you will be using. yotes are a good hunt so FUN

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well ive been browsing through old varmint als website all i can say is wow so much usefull information theres everything step by step to nab a coyote I didnt know half the things i read like all of the coyote attacks on children thats crazy but realy the thing that caught my attention the most was el cheapo so easy to put together then you have the sound files already there and amazingly enough there are people willing to share the things they have for free that is greatly appriciated

yunggunz

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
but realy the thing that caught my attention the most was el cheapo so easy to put together then you have the sound files already there and amazingly enough there are people willing to share the things they have for free that is greatly appriciated -yunggunz
yeah that's definately cool! Mix & match all those generously FREE sounds & tailor them to your local pups & their seasonal habits...

It's a blast the first time you get a coyote bounding in to sniff out your e-caller! My first time it was a bright-moon night with heavy snow-cover. I was hunkered into a bush along a fence row with my caller about 25 yds ahead of me... a yote JUMPED over the fence not 10 feet from me (I'd expected him to come from upwind, outa the timber, not from downwind, across and open field & highway) and ran to the caller, sniffed once & turned 180 back to where he came from. Happened so fast all i could do was wish... wish i'd shot from the hip (too close & fast to level my scope), wish i'd had a pistol with me... wish, wish, wish... LOL! I was hooked!

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
oh god the dragon is a good spot to have a drunken night nothing like a stripclub to ease tha mind but if you get to drunk tha scandelous ass strippers try and jack you not safe and if you say anything you get thrown out on your ass literaly happened to me twice they just chunkd me out the door and slammed it behind me both times both times

·
Registered
64 Posts
I shot a deer this season with my 4095. Hit it in the lungs at about 35 yards. It went less than 50 yards and dropped. I'd never shoot a boar with it though. They are built a lot differently and tougher than a deer. Use the right tool for the job.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.