Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Turns out I like shooting the thing, but I have a hell of a time aiming with open sights (on anything...not just this gun). I need to find a way to get a reflex sight mounted. The 21mm width is there but 9mm is a LONG way down into the slide to cut a full rail.

Alternatively I can mill the top flat and drill/tap the slide to mount a rail like the guy on youtube, but it's a long way from my preference.

·
Resident PITA
15,961 Posts
If you remove the rear sight you'll be left with a couple screw holes and matching screws. Use your imagination. Others have.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would prefer have a milled mount over using screws. If I use screws then obviously there's already options immediately available. I want the mount cut into the slide. That's why I asked if that had been done before versus "how could I mount an optic".

·
Resident PITA
15,961 Posts
Then "No". I don't believe anyone has attempted it. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Obviously I would share the results...but I'm not really willing to cut blindly into the slilde.

Has anyone cut or broken (and posted about it) a slide in a way that would let me see how much material I'm dealing with?

·
Super Moderator
8,976 Posts
If someone here has, they'll reply. Another option is to invest a few bucks and get another slide on one of the auction sites and just play away with it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm working on that, Adam. I'm actually trying to find a damaged one if at all possible, though...I want to cut it into slices so I can really know the material. They're cheap enough that it's not a big deal to cut a good one up, but with such things my preference is to start with a piece that is already defective.

Looking at some of the other cut jobs some people have made (like this one) makes it look like the back half of the slide is virtually solid material.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
I believe it's mostly solid Zamak.

Another interesting option would be to cut the slide back from the muzzle, and mount a red dot optic directly to the bbl.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
25,873 Posts
I believe it's mostly solid Zamak.

Another interesting option would be to cut the slide back from the muzzle, and mount a red dot optic directly to the bbl.
YOU "ain't skeered" :D

:welcome:makenzie71!!!

Great to have new blood experimenting on these :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So it could be neater, but it's the best a harbor freight drill press, a 1/2" end mill, a v-groove router bit, and a hardbor freight 2-axis vise can really do.

The ends need to be neater but I don't know how to clean them up with what I've got. I'm also trying to keep the screw holes intact for the rear sight (just in case) so I'm not gutting the groove until I have the sight in hand and am ready to mount it.

·
Administrator
24,467 Posts
Not sure I would have gone that route. Full width square cut just shy of bottoming out on the rear sight pocket, cut a length of pic rail to fit, drill the rail and slide, tap the slide, mount the rail, and use a mini rds.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That was an option, and I had nearly 1/2" of material to tap into, but I don't like screws...especially considering how soft this material is.

BUT I'll probably end up doing much the same with the other gun...maybe I'll mount a rail as you describe and see how it holds up. I've just had poor luck with screws in the past.

·
Administrator
24,467 Posts
You could have helicoiled it.

Edit: I have the same drill mill setup.

·
Super Moderator
8,976 Posts
Does the weight of the optic come relatively close to the weight of the material you removed? If it's not, will the gun cycle correctly?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't think so. Holding both guns I think the factory one is noticeably heavier, though not considerably. I ran 80 rounds through it today, and 20 through the unmodified one, and I was quite a bit more accurate with it and had no feed/fire issues. On the contrary, the factory gun had multiple FTF/battery issues. Coincidental I'm certain.

·
Resident PITA
15,961 Posts
I don't think so. Holding both guns I think the factory one is noticeably heavier, though not considerably. I ran 80 rounds through it today, and 20 through the unmodified one, and I was quite a bit more accurate with it and had no feed/fire issues. On the contrary, the factory gun had multiple FTF/battery issues. Coincidental I'm certain.
That test would only have merit if you used the same magazine in both guns. Most C-9 feed issues are mag related.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.