Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I ended up only doing one between the threaded holes...I only wanted to do one and try and spare the factory sight surface and mount, but I'm not going back to that. I'm going to go back and do the rest of the slots soon. The rail is just a hair too wide still so while it works it still needs some cleaning up. Then I need to sandblast it, clean it, and then we're ready to go to town.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
25,872 Posts
Very Nice Work, I hope it holds up. Does not look like you hurt anything, and the slide seems thicker behind the chamber area. :indeed:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I think it's as done as it can get. Finished the slots...though it's not a proper spec pic rail (closer to weaver dimensions). I milled the front sight and top rail off. Sand blasted the whole thing. Left it in the ultrasonic with a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water for 30 minutes (anyone who doesn't have an ultrasonic cleaner should get one). Washed it in soda water. Oiled it. Reassembled and zero'ed the sight.

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
I'm guessing the vinegar is what darkened the slide? In the top pic it looks matte black, but the bottom looks more blue. Whatever - I like the look

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Yeah zinc and aluminum will darken in vinegar. The top pic is mostly poor lighting...it's not much darker than it was to begin with, but it'll oxidize all the fresh cuts and such from the milling so it'll have a uniform surface.

It's a really good solution for general cleaning. 1-part white vinegar, 1 part distilled water, and about a teaspoon per gallon of dish soap...on steels you can leave it run for quite some time, soft stuff like whatever zinc alloy this thing is made out of or aluminum or brass should be less than 30 minutes, and wash everything after in a water and baking soda solution to neutralize the acid.

·
Super Moderator
8,976 Posts
Looks GREAT! :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
It is. It was the most budget friendly one I could grab at my local academy. I've got a couple others on order I'm going to try, but so far I'm pretty happy with this one. It's held zero pretty well after about 150 rounds...more than I expected from it.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
25,872 Posts
It is. It was the most budget friendly one I could grab at my local academy. I've got a couple others on order I'm going to try, but so far I'm pretty happy with this one. It's held zero pretty well after about 150 rounds...more than I expected from it.
150rds on the C9 Slide? Or is that on another setup too?
Good either way, but I suspect the slide mount is a bit tougher
to hold a zero like that.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Lovely work!

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
I don't know if you care or not, but I was able to blacken zamak with cold blue. I used Oxpho Blue. I haven't seen anyone try it on a Hi Point slide.

·
Resident PITA
15,961 Posts
21 - 40 of 64 Posts