Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,669 Posts
Makenzie - I'm curious - did I read the earlier thread correctly? You did this on a drill press, not a milling machine?

·
Administrator
24,467 Posts
He's got the same set up I do. $70 x/y slide vice from hf, and I picked up the 5-speed drill press. There is a video on how to clean up the slop on the slide vice.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Makenzie - I'm curious - did I read the earlier thread correctly? You did this on a drill press, not a milling machine?
Yes. I have a large belt-drive press. It has a lot of angle and speed adjustment and that helps. Also an X/Y vise. Really the hardest thing about it all is that the press does not have a very fine scale to measure the feed...and the vice has no means of measure at all. They put a scale on the side but no reference lol. Makes me have to eyeball it, try to aim for over dimension, measure with a mic, and shave off the excess in small steps.

That's the biggest thing...small steps. This project took me probably four hours all told with milling and drilling. With a proper mill it would have been a 1-hour job.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
He's got the same set up I do. $70 x/y slide vice from hf, and I picked up the 5-speed drill press. There is a video on how to clean up the slop on the slide vice.
I have all the slop out of the vice I can...biggest problem it has now is no reference and a really poor scale. I don't know if I want to go through the effort of milling the parts to correct those issues or just buy a proper vice lol

·
Super Moderator
8,976 Posts
Oooo, nice barrel! How'd you manage that?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·

I welded a bushing on and threaded it. I'm having the bushings made for a .357 air rifle, but they're made of mild steel...I'm going to beat it up on my C9 and make sure it doesn't deform or the threads bugger up easily.

And my can has a built in booster...I'll have to make a spacer to hold it still, or find someone willing to bring me their can, to see how well a blow back 9mm handgun works with a suppressor.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
That slide would look good in nickel. I re-nickeled some old revolvers in my backyard. Had to plate with copper first and then nickel. I used copper tubing and nearly pure nickel Canadian coins as the donor metals. I didn't used a bath, I used a small piece of electrified sponge dipped in liquid solution that did a great job of laying the metal on the surface.

Lots of YouTube videos on DIY electroplating
http://www.instructables.com/id/High-Quality-and-safe-Nickel-Plating/

·
Super Moderator
8,976 Posts
I welded a bushing on and threaded it. I'm having the bushings made for a .357 air rifle, but they're made of mild steel...I'm going to beat it up on my C9 and make sure it doesn't deform or the threads bugger up easily.
I'm intrigued. You're able to get the slide on and off without a problem?

·
Premium Member
5,353 Posts
That is pretty awesome. I recognized your post on reddit a little while ago. Are you going to put up the updates? Anymore you plan on doing to this beast?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I'm intrigued. You're able to get the slide on and off without a problem?
As it is the slide comes off and on without any trouble, but if it were any longer it might be an issue.

That is pretty awesome. I recognized your post on reddit a little while ago. Are you going to put up the updates? Anymore you plan on doing to this beast?
I know I threatened to make a weekly post but...really...what all else can I do? I've got another one in hand, though, and then there's one waiting for me when on my next road trip, and then I hope to pick up a carbine sometime in the near future...but they'd pretty much all be more of the same.

As soon as I get my hands on a can that doesn't have a booster there'll be a suppressor post...I don't know what I might do after that, though.

·
Resident PITA
15,961 Posts
Hey cic how do you shoot that gun? :)
It's been a bit difficult since Mole stole the Joey Keychain. But you gotta love the clear Lucite grips. It's like they're not even there.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
25,873 Posts
It's been a bit difficult since Mole stole the Joey Keychain. But you gotta love the clear Lucite grips. It's like they're not even there.
Actually, I think YOU "stole" the Brass Joey... ;)

41 - 60 of 64 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.