Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
There is a picture on the Hi-Point Firearms website of a young boy who took a whitetail with a carbine... I cannot tell what caliber it is, though.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would think that if you limited your shooting range *Under 50yds* and shot placement to that a Archery hunter and used the right bullets then the 4095 would be able to drop small to mid-sized deer. I would rather buy a used 12ga or a 30-30 in the same price range for better results.

G

·
Yes, I used a 4095 to kill my largest deer ever (10 point, 16" wide & 12" tall, over 200 lbs.), this past December. It is fitted with a Sightmark reflex sight, and using Winchester SXT 180gr. ammo. The deer only ran about 60 yards, I've had them run farther than that after being shot with a 30-30.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
FYI, check state laws. Some have laws saying it's inhumane to kill a ________ with a round of less than ______ or some other such language. Pretty much they point out that if you hit a deer/bear/etc. in a non-vital area with a .22/9mm/whatever all you're doing is causing it to limp/walk/run around wounded and die from blood loss or an infection later long after you've gone home.

Also I was in a state where rifles could have no more than 5 rounds; popular ones had "plugs" available that rendered the mag unable to hold more than that, but as far as I know no such thing exists for the HP series.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yes, I used a 4095 to kill my largest deer ever (10 point, 16" wide & 12" tall, over 200 lbs.), this past December. It is fitted with a Sightmark reflex sight, and using Winchester SXT 180gr. ammo. The deer only ran about 60 yards, I've had them run farther than that after being shot with a 30-30.
:postpics:

·
Registered
9 Posts
i have had my hi point (995) for almost two years now,and my 4095 for about 10 months and out of all my guns , these are the funnest and cheepest to go PLAY!!with.the best game i have found to hunt so far is, pumpkins at 50 yds,and small squash,and for a big treat, i blast a froozen water bottle at 50 yds with a hollow point,kinda puts a new meaning to RUSH!!lets face the facts,the 4095 is basically a 40 c hand gun with a 18 in barrel,and if your any farther away then 50 yds , your punch to knock down med. sized animals is limited, oh ya you'r going to hear some hunting stories ,but look at the stats compared to how many 4095 that are out there.my suggestion is get an old 12 ga shotgun with a 36 in barrel, and if your close enough to shoot with your 4095 just smack em on the head with the shotgun,enough said,rusobr2

·
Registered
15 Posts
At what distance?

G

·
I took a 120 whitetail this year with my S&W M&P40 using 165 grain Hydrashocks, distance was only 15 yards. Bullet passed between two ribs, through the very tip of the heart, and exited the center of another rib. Deer didn't go far, delicious! I also took a rabbit with that pistol a couple weeks ago, also delicious.

If you play around with some ballistic calculators, like this one http://www.handloads.com/calc/ , you'll find that the average 1050 fps I get from that load with that pistol, the carbine, which shoots it a little over 1150, would have the same velocity at about 55 yards. More playing shows 70-80 yards being the maximum distance before the bullet plummets.

Doubletap sells some awesome loads for 40S&W, like the controlled expansion 200 grain at 1050fps from a glock 23. Say that went 1150 out of a 4095, you are looking at the same energy I shot my deer at 15 to be around 150 yards. That distance would be ridiculous to attempt, with the arch.

They also have a 135 grain that goes 1375 from a glock 23, so say 1475 out of the 4095, you're looking at about 1.5" high at 45 yards and about 1.7" low at 95 yards.

Anyhow, I've shot thier 200 grain lead cast bullet out of my 4095 at an average of 1200 fps from my CHRONY chronograph. This load gave me 3, 1.5", 5 shot groups at 50 yards rested on a tree one day.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
It does seem that its more the ballistic (energy) of the round that make it impactical to kill large game with (such as deer) with, rather than the accuracy of the weapon. The 995 a least is accurate at 75 yards, but paper, coke bottle, etc are a lot easier game to shoot than a deer, because the bullet still has enough energy to cause lethal damage when it gets there.

I've heard of people making a 100 yard shot on an animal with a carbine, ut you'd have to be pretty good at shot trajectory. I too would rather use a shotgun or a rifle for large game.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.