Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was shooting my Hi-point .40 SW yesterday and doing very well with the target at 25 feet. After about 100 rounds I switched to my XD .40SW SC carry gun. Man, I could not hit that 4" bullseye for anything. I don't know if it was the weight difference between the weapons or my arms just got tired from the Hi-point.

·
Banned
1,193 Posts
Probably the difference in the actions.....one is a falling link, ala browning, the other is a straight blowback....it does make a difference.

·
Registered
86 Posts
mine is the other way around. i can shoot better with my Taurus than i can with my Hi-point. only reason is i've put more rounds through the Taurus than i have the hi point. so i want to shoot the HP like i do my Taurus and it doesn't pay off.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
I have several different handguns, of different makes, and calibers. None shoot exactly the same.
When switching back and forth, one must adapt to the differences of each weapon.
Concentrate and relax. The difference in the actions, the different trigger pulls, and different weapon weight/recoil, all factor into how they will shoot,
or actually, how you will shoot them.
Try to focus, and be sure you aren't jerking the trigger, flinching, or trying to offset the recoil when you squeeze off a shot.
Take a moment while addressing the target to examine your stance, and grip on the weapon.
Think about your sight picture.
Is it different between the two weapons? Many handguns do not have adjustable sights. If that gun requires a mental adjustment to get it on line on target,
then you have to mentally divorce that adjustment when you pick up and fire a different weapon.
One of the greatest features of the Hi-Point is it's adjustable rear sight. I wish all my handguns had them.
If both your weapons have an adjustable sight, then try to align them, (adjust the sights), so you are using the same sight picture when aiming at the target.

·
Banned
1,193 Posts
^^^ what he said

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I had a response typed out - a good one too! But my computer froze. :cantlook:

So you get the abbreviated version!

What they said. AND I'll go one better. It takes me time to switch between guns at the range for all the reasons stated above. That said - I go to the range and understand my objectives - I have to, cause I'm not that good. So if I'm going to have fun - I take all the girls and we light it up. If I'm going to practice self defense stuff, I take my carry gun ONLY. That seems to work for me.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Thats why I always try to finish up a shoot session with my carry gun. I have had that happen to me a few times when I switched from my 22/45 to something else.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I had a response typed out - a good one too! But my computer froze. :cantlook:

So you get the abbreviated version!

What they said. AND I'll go one better. It takes me time to switch between guns at the range for all the reasons stated above. That said - I go to the range and understand my objectives - I have to, cause I'm not that good. So if I'm going to have fun - I take all the girls and we light it up. If I'm going to practice self defense stuff, I take my carry gun ONLY. That seems to work for me.
This is very important! Even when shooting rifles or other calibers remind yourself that you are not Rambo! And you probably do not have any god given gifts. For killing people with projectile weapons. Quite frankly I went last week and shot a 12g shotgun my Taurus Judge in 410 Shotgun shells (which after shooting the 12g has almost no recoil it feels like) my 92fs, and finally my fathers 22 handgun. By the time I got to my pops handgun my arms were so tired that I dont think I hit the target because my arm was no longer steady.

Fix to my problem...work out more & practice more.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The only handguns my girl has ever really shot are HP's my JHP and .380 comp, she can shoot them both better than I can, I shoot my hi-power and Taurus way better than she can. Personally I think it's all fit , feel and sight picture. Everyone has there own preferences. 99.9% of all factory arms will shoot better than any of us can, in my opinion try as many guns as possible before buying. (She has big long monkey paws, I think that's why the larger hi-point's work for her) SSSSHHH! We'll keep that between us.

Regards,

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I tried to get my wife to shoot my HP .45, but she won't. She said that it was TOO big and heavy. I'll get her to shoot it some day. She did like shooting my HP 380 and Heritage Rough Rider .22 pistol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.