Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a site that actually has some ammo for sale, that is not back ordered. Brand is brown bear 115 FMJ, has anyone ever used this? any issues? at $9.00 a box (20 or more) sounds like a deal to me.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
I found a site that actually has some ammo for sale, that is not back ordered. Brand is brown bear 115 FMJ, has anyone ever used this? any issues? at $9.00 a box (20 or more) sounds like a deal to me.

Thanks in advance.
Brown / Silver / Golden Bear is an importer brand of ammo made by various manufacturers in the former Eastern Block (mainly Russia from my experience). I've used 5.45x39 .223 7.62x39 9x18 9x19 (that's 9mm luger) .308 and maybe another couple...

Brown Bear is lacquered steel cases and is pretty much just like Wolf. Silver Bear is zinc coated steel case and Golden Bear is brass plated steel. I've used Brown and Silver, but never Gold. This is ammo I buy because it's the cheapest and I consider Brown to be equal to Wolf and will take whichever is cheaper. If I can get Silver at the same price or less, I prefer it as I think it's a bit cleaner than Brown (or Wolf). Nine bucks is almost a dollar a box cheaper than the cheapest WallyAmmo where I live--I'd buy the bear.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
I use the 9x18 in my Makarov, in that caliber they have a short, aggressive hollowpoint. I've never had a problem with it. Supposedly it's made primarily at the Barnaul plant in Russia.

It's like we used to like our girlfriends........... Dirty and cheap! LOL

·
Registered
799 Posts
When I got my mosin I bought 5 boxes of Brown Bear to put through it and I was pretty impressed it was really clean for russian stuff its not as cheap as the milsurp stuff but for new production it was resonably priced and functioned well.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts

Thanks in advance.
Give it a day or so and AIM will be out.... ;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
It's steel case ammunition made in Russia. I've always had mixed feelings about it.

Steel case ammunition generates higher chamber pressures than brass ammo. This is because the projectile requires more force to be separated from a steel case than it does from brass. This also causes greater extraction force in semi auots, especially the gas operated variety, and you can prematurely wear out your extractor if it isn't designed for steel ammo. In rifles designed to shoot steel ammo, none of this is a problem. My SKS and any make of AK47 was designed with this stuff in mind. I shoot steel cased milsurp ammo from my SKS with no problems.

However, the tighter tolerances of some US and European built firearms makes this problematic. ARs have been known to break firing pins and extractors with steel case ammo, as will as rip cartridge rims off during extraction due to stronger extraction force. In my Mini-14, Silver Bear ammo routinely ejects cases with ruptured case necks. Also, Silver Bear cases fired in my Mini-14 exhibit signs of impending case head separation. I'm sure this has to do with chamber pressure, extraction force, chamber tolerances, differing expansion of steel case ammo vs brass case ammo, and the generally energetic nature of the Mini-14's gas piston system.

So, steel case isn't necessarily good or bad. It's fine for some firearms and not for others. Ask the manufacturer if steel case ammo is appropriate for your firearm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.