Has anyone put a rail on a Haskell?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by ichthyo, Jan 14, 2016.

1. ichthyo

ichthyo Lifetime Supporter

I searched the threads for ideas on attaching a rail and found some on the C9, but nothing for the older guns. I want it in front of the trigger guard to mount a laser or maybe a light.

The metal is pretty thin on the frame up there so just drilling a hole and cutting threads for bolt through rail likely won't work.

Doesn't look like anything can stick up on top of the frame and still allow the slide to move back and forth. Any suggestions or am I out of luck?

Attached Files:

2. ichthyo

Okay. I figured this out by myself. It appears that some commercial rail attachments use 3M VHB double sided comformable tape. I bought some and attached the rail. Since the Haskell has a taper from trigger gaurd to the end of the frame, I sanded the back of the rail to compensate and keep the rail parallel to the barrell. Slapped on a cheap laser light and lined it up with a laser bore sight and it was perfect. Now we will see how well it stays in place.

Attached Files:

3. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

Hope it works out for you. I know some have tried JB weld also, but it usually doesn't hold up long.

Let us know.

4. I use similar tape to mount servos in my rc aircraft. I think a combination of recoil and chemicals use in maintaining the gun will over time affect the adhesion. I think drilling and counter sinking the rail, and tapping the frame, while more costly would be a more reliable and permanent attachment. Hate to have an aiming device fall off at a critical moment.
    Just my thoughts

5. ichthyo

The frame where the rail attaches is less than 1/8" thick. There is a groove that runs down the center that keeps the slide lined up with the frame. There isn't enough metal to drill and tap or to countersink.

I placed the back of the rail against the trigger gaurd so forces won't be able to move the rail back. It may pull loose on the front though.

I think this most viable option. It may fail.

6. I like the idea, keep us updated!

7. ichthyo

Here is some info from a commercial rail kit that uses VHB tape.

HOW DOES THE RAILTAC PICATINNY RAIL ADAPTER ATTACH TO MY FIREARM?

Included is 3M VHB Adhesive tape for metals. This tape is designed for permanent adhesion to metals and is used in both the aerospace and automotive industry.

To install:

1) Clean the rails mating surface and your pistol using a gun cleaning solvent. 2) Adhere the VHB adhesive tape to the rail's mating surface and remove the red protective liner. 3) Position and press the rail onto your pistols dustcover or barrel. 4) Tightly wrap several rubber bands around your pistol and the installed rail. The pressure should be applied for at least 24 hours until the adhesive tape has fully cured and bonded to your pistol. 5) To remove, you will need to pry off the rail and use acetone to remove any remaining residue.

This method offers a superior alternative to drilling and tapping your pistol, while still providing a permanent solution that is reversible.

HOW SECURE IS THE RAILTAC PICATINNY RAIL ONCE INSTALLED?

3M VHB tape was designed to permanent bond to metals, but still allow easy removal only when desired.

8. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    I'd still keep cleaning solvents and oils away from it.

9. There may be a groove down the center. So you could offset the screws to one or both sides to have more material to bite on.

10. ichthyo

If the tape doesn't hold I may try that. I would need to drill new holes In rail and the frame. Probably would need to be a smaller diameter screw to not weaken the frame too much. The sides of the frame aren't very thick out there either.

Hopefully it won't be necessary. I think I will shoot the Haskell this week and test it out.

11. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

Have you looked at this before?
    There is a rail on the bottom of this.

Attached Files:

12. ichthyo

I left the clamp on the rail for the 24 hours "cure" time. It feels solid. I will shoot it this week with some of my reloads, 230 grain cast bullets over bullseye powder.

I lined the laser up to be nearly parallel with barrel so the dot sits right on top of the front post at 10 yards.

I checked out some youtube videos from Ramlite where they were sticking on rails under pistols and even red dots mounted on slides with VHB tape. They claim it holds even on a slide.

I may shoot a little video of the first shots to share with you.

Attached Files:

13. tomtull

tomtull Member

I just did this on a 12 gauge semi auto,it seems really solid.I'm gonna test it in the next couple of days.[​IMG]

14. ichthyo

Well, I have my answer on VHB tape. It did not hold. Back to drawing board. 45 acp recoil was too much to handle. It came loose on the fourth shot.

15. tomtull

tomtull Member

Which vhb tape did you use?I got mine off Amazon,it came in a 4"x8"sheet with a red back,I went by the instructions and cleaned it warmed it up and clamped it for over 24hours and am surprised how well its on there,but haven't put it to the ultimate test yet.

16. ichthyo

Bought it at auto store in a one inch wide roll.

17. tomtull

tomtull Member

I've got 3m VHB 5952, if it works I'll send you a piece if you want to try it out:)

18. ichthyo

I would like it indeed if you would do that. Let me know.

19. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

Didn't think it would hold, it was a valiant try!!

20. tomtull

tomtull Member

Where are ya located,and give me some measurements and I'll get ya a piece in the mail ;¬)