Has anyone shot a Springfield XD 9mm

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Tchort, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Tchort

Tchort Member

I did a search but nothing came up.

Was thinking of purchasing next a Springfield XD 9mm. I think it comes with double stack 16 rd mag.

Anyone have any hands on experience, good or bad? Local gun shop I think I can rent one to shoot for day.

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Yep, I shot one. I like them, super reliable, accurate, good ergos, good price...better now that everyone wants an XD-M.

On the other hand, I liked my daughter's SR9 better.;)

But I just bought an XD sub-compact in .40, price was right at $379. I really like it so far.:)

3. I had a XDS but traded it. I'm not a Springfield fan, however the guns are good guns. It shot good and was made well. I wasn't a big fan of the grip safety.

4. top of the line plastic fantastic pistola. Buy it with confidence you could not do better!

5. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Yes he can, it is called a Smith and Wesson M&P.:rolleyes:

6. absolutely disagree.

I have handled and shot every style of XD 9mm. Smith and Wesson does not do better.

Don't own either. But a Smith is not better than an XD in spite of what you have

7. dons

dons Member

I own both a shield and an xdm and though they are both great guns the xdm is far superior. I would have to say the dx is also better. Love my shield though.

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Why do you think that?

How is it better? I haven't read up on it yet.

9. bws

bws Member

Yup, I own one. I love it, it's super reliable, it's nicely made and damned accurate. But it's not without it's nuances.

Pros:
    Lots of third party part vendors available
    Very customizable
    Extremely rugged
    Lots of forums and research available
    Double stack magazines
    And depending on your tastes, it's not a glock.

Con's
    Replacement OEM parts can be expensive
    third party parts are obnoxiously expensive
    Changing sights is not something for the light hearted. In fact, there are some gunsmiths that flat out refuse to do them.
    They're such a joy to shoot, you find yourself burning through the ammo faster.

I wouldn't trade mine for the world, but mine is just the plain ol XD-9. I've heard mixed reviews about the XD(M) & XD(S) models, so if you're interests meanders towards either of those two, do your research.

Finally, if you purchase one used (either the M or S) I vaguely recollect a recall involving the fire control group. I read a LOT of complaints when people received their pistols back from Springfield. The generic XD was not included in that recall.

If you want pix, I'd be happy to field strip mine and post them up here and show you the areas that require special tools and what extra spare parts you may want to pick up, should you get one.

Edit: One thing of key importance: With the exception of their 1911 clones and one of the XD model (the specific one escapes me at the moment) they mainly have dual passive safeties. This means you have to have your hand fully around the grip (safety 1) and depress the trigger safety (safety 2) before you can actually shoot the pistol. This doesn't sit well with a lot of people. So, if you like to keep your weapons cocked & locked, use extra care with these. Just an FYI. I've had mine for going on 2 years and I keep a round in the chamber at all times, so as long as you're careful you'll be good to go.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  10. Tchort

Tchort Member

Thanks for all the information every one.

11. Kiln

Kiln Member

The XD service models have proven themselves time and time again to be durable, reliable, and accurate. If there's any doubt then check out the plethora of reviews both online and in gun mags. There's definitely a reason that they're popular firearms.

If you have the money though, you might check into the XDM instead. It is a bit more expensive but comes with a more aggressively textured grip, changeable backstraps, 19 round mags (9 mil capacity), and a much nicer case. The controls have been extended (mag release and slide stop release) and are easier to manipulate than the standard XD. There is also a cocked indicator and the trigger pull is muuuuuch better. A couple pounds lighter with a much shorter reset. You can get great accuracy out of the service model but in my experience the XDM's trigger makes accuracy much easier to achieve and most likely better all around.

As far as polymer pistols with a striker fired setup, the XDM is the way to go IMO and yes I've shot most of the competition's offerings. Springfield makes solid guns with lifetime warranties that you'll probably never even have to use.

12. Does Springfield service them? Or do they ship them to there mother land for that?

13. I agree with you, I competition shot for years and started with Glocks and moved to M&Ps. I can't see myself ever using a Springfield in competition. I do think they are nice guns just not a Smith ;)

14. Kiln

Kiln Member

They get serviced here in the states. No worries there. It really is rare to send one in though in my experience. I literally have 7k rounds through one and at least 2-3k through my other one. Serious shooters have waaaaay more than I can afford to shoot through theirs problem free.

15. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

it's just like my S&W SD9VE !!!:D

16. Kiln

Kiln Member

Except completely different in every single way other than being striker fired. It is even a different mechanism to release the striker. It is more like a Glock, whereas the XD series are "true" single action striker fired handguns.

That said it does sound like the SD9VE is a good gun, just not too similar to the XD.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  17. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    The XD has the indicator too.

About the accuracy, I have searched really hard, and I just cannot find squat on the XD group sizes, nor on the XDm groups. Nearly everything I read says the newer gun should do better because of a better/longer barrel, better trigger, blah blah blah...but I only found one guy that actually gave numbers, he said he had shot under 1.5 inches at 25 yards, with no pics, but nothing on the XD. My subcompact XD40 has a report in the NRA rag at 3+ inches with the 3" barrel.

You'd think someone would actually do an apples to apples shoot out to prove the claim. If anyone knows where one is, I'd love to see it.

18. Kiln

Kiln Member

People compete with them often, they sit beside Glock in terms of accuracy...not sure how many win with an XD service though. The trigger throws off my accuracy but that's probably just me. I've been spoiled by slicked up CZ75B and XDM triggers.

19. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Yeah, but I want some bullseye type info, not how many plates can you double tap in 10 seconds. That's not "accuracy", though it is certainly a useful measurement for a service pistol.:)

20. I don't have experience with any XD gun. My friend has two sons in LE. One in the FBI and another in ATF. Both switched from the issued Glocks and switched to Springfield XD's . One to a .45 the other to a .40. Both have said they just feel better and are easier to shoot.

I have an M&P 45 and M&P 9. Both fine guns IMO. I would like to try them both against the Ruger SR's just for comparison.