Has anyone slugged there JHP barrel ?

Discussion in 'General Hi-Point Discussion' started by Jedman, Apr 30, 2015.

1. I just bought a pair of JHP pistols and so far I am somewhat pleased with the accuracy. Tonite I was just measuring the muzzle end of the barrel with calipers and it appears that the groove diameter is approximately .454.
    I am shooting .451 bullets and it would seem that they would be a loose fit.

I just wondered if anyone has actually slugged there barrel ( 45 cal. ) and what they got as measuring with calipers is not a good measure.

Jedman

2. histed

histed Supporting Member

Hi Jedman - welcome to the forum. I've slugged a lot of barrels, but never a JHP - don't own one yet. In general, however, I find a micrometer much more accurate than calipers. My Hi Point experience is limited to the C9 and mine mics at .3584. I'm sure others will chime in soon, but, as I understand it, Hi Point has a reputation for being somewhat over-bored. I could be wrong - often am :eek:

3. I took a soft lead 50 cal. billet and lathe turned it with a bit of taper and left the big end at .457 disassembled my JHP and dropped the slug into the chamber.

With a wood dowel I pounded it thru the bore and out the muzzle. I then
    measured the slug with a mic and it was right at .453 diameter.

One of the reasons I bought a pair of these pistols was I thought I may play with one of them ( modify ) just to see what can be done with a Hi Point.
    I own nearly 2 dozen handi rifles because they are the perfect platform to modify and not worry about ruining the value much. :rolleyes:

I do have a .451 groove barrel liner that I might install on this pistol and make the barrel length something like 6" and maybe make a homemade compensator that would screw on and mount the front sight on it to give a longer sight radius.

Jedman

4. histed

histed Supporting Member

Too bad you're nearly 2 states away. We could have lots of fun playing together. If you do those mods, PICTURES please!

5. I second that!