Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it looks like S&W hasn't made a PCC since submitting a 9mm carbine to both the U.S. and Britain for consideration in WWII. The U.S. rejected it because it wasn't .45ACP as God intended and the British rejected it because it cost way more than the Sten, which was made from stamped sheet steel and left over tinker toys.

Now almost everyone and their dog is making a PCC. ...except S&W. The market is pretty saturated with PCC's and I kinda think that if they entered the market now they'd be just another "also ran."

OTOH, S&W is an old and respected name in the firearms community. Is there a chance of success if, for whatever reason, some exec decided they needed to roll one out?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: OldOutlaw

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
You mean in addition to the 1000's of 'pistol' manufacturers out there?

·
Super Moderator
28,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You mean in addition to the 1000's of 'pistol' manufacturers out there?
Not necessarily an AR pattern. Hi Point, Kel Tec, Ruger, etc., all make highly successful PCC's which are not AR pattern.

But you didn't answer the question.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts

I didn't mean just AR but now that you've mentioned it.
You have 1000's of "pistols" out there in rifle calibers for the same money or less then some PCC's out there.
So when I see YT vids of some YT gun celebrity touting the tacticoolness of the latest and greatest PCC which costs $800-$1000 I wonder why you don't get it in a real caliber?
The PCC market is a niche and the market in general is overflowing with similar size guns.
S&W PCC? Does it take Glock mags? Does it take AR furniture? :zombie:

·
Super Moderator
28,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I didn't mean just AR but now that you've mentioned it.
You have 1000's of "pistols" out there in rifle calibers for the same money or less then some PCC's out there.
So when I see YT vids of some YT gun celebrity touting the tacticoolness of the latest and greatest PCC which costs $800-$1000 I wonder why you don't get it in a real caliber?
The PCC market is a niche and the market in general is overflowing with similar size guns.
S&W PCC? Does it take Glock mags? Does it take AR furniture? :zombie:
You seem to be missing what draws people to PCC's, regardless of manufacturer. I'm not asking you to argue why "real rifle" cartridges are better.

So, I ask again, did S&W miss the PCC boat or could they roll out one to commercial success?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: CowboyBob

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
could they roll out one to commercial success?
Kirk

You seem to intentionally be ignoring my point.
There's already 1000's out there, carbines, pistols, whatever.
Anything S&W makes would be like $3000 anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
Okay. Lets see.

PCC= Pistol Caliber Carbine;

Not a "pistol firing a carbine/rifle round".

So lets see what's considered a pistol caliber...

.22 Short

.22LR

.25 ACP

7.62x25 Tokarev

7.62 Luger

.32 ACP

.327 Federal

.357 Magnum

.38 Special

9mm parabellum

9mm Largo

.40 SW

10mm

.41 Magnum

.44 Magnum

.45ACP

.45 GAP

.45 Super

.460 Rowland

.454 Casull

.460 SW

.50 AE

.500 SW

Now.. are there AR patterned firearms in these calibers? Some yeah. Not all of them to my knowledge.

Are there "pistols" chambered for cartridges longer and higher pressure than the list? Of course. But thats not what this thread is about.

This thread is about the rifles defined by the ATF as having 16"+ barrels and shoulder stocks, and being chambered in pistol/handgun calibers. Not the group of firearms that has under 16" barrels and chambered for rifle cartridges :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts
I get your point, Swagz. It might be a little out of place in this particular thread, but I get it and fully agree.

With that being said and going back to Kirk's question, S&W has not missed the boat. They could still develop a cost-effective PCC that has something to offer that existing PCCs don't offer. But that's the key. It has to offer something that is truly better than what is out there right now.

S&W has no more missed the boat than any other manufacturer, existing or coming into existence, as long as it offers a cost-effective and innovative design.

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
An affordable, reliable and good looking 16" barreled pump action carbine in the style of the Winchester 62, chambered in either the .460 SW or .500SW would truly be a great product, especially as a companion to their revolvers already chambered for those two cartridges.

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts
An affordable, reliable and good looking 16" barreled pump action carbine in the style of the Winchester 62, chambered in either the .460 SW or .500SW would truly be a great product, especially as a companion to their revolvers already chambered for those two cartridges.
I like where you're going with this, but I'd prefer .44 Magnum or .454 Cassul over those two flash-in-the pan fad cartridges :stir:. Maybe if the .460 and .500 are as popular as the other two in another ten years, I'll bite.

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
I love my M&P pistols. If S&W came out with a PCC that shared mags with the M&P’s, I’d buy a few calibers in a heartbeat.

I don’t like ARs. I know, I must have hit my head ten too many times when I was a kid. Don’t like them, don’t own any, won’t own any. So even the M&P 15-22 is out for me.

Just for S&Gs, I’m seriously considering buying the CAA Micro Conversion Kit. I have something similar for my M&P CO2 BB-gun and it’s pretty fun.

·
Super Moderator
28,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Reactions: Greg B.

·
Super Moderator
28,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Never mind. Not much to look at there.
The 1939 looked better. That magazine "thing" did more than just hold the mag. IMS, it collected or guided spent casings too.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
6,866 Posts
So it looks like S&W hasn't made a PCC since submitting a 9mm carbine to both the U.S. and Britain for consideration in WWII. The U.S. rejected it because it wasn't .45ACP as God intended and the British rejected it because it cost way more than the Sten, which was made from stamped sheet steel and left over tinker toys.

Now almost everyone and their dog is making a PCC. ...except S&W. The market is pretty saturated with PCC's and I kinda think that if they entered the market now they'd be just another "also ran."

OTOH, S&W is an old and respected name in the firearms community. Is there a chance of success if, for whatever reason, some exec decided they needed to roll one out?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
NO. S&W would not even care to compete in this market. Price wise that is.

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
Story time:

The other day I was in the pawnshop and one of the managers says he's got something nice in the back that I surely want to see.
A'right boss bring it out.
So it's a Sig Sauer AR...
Nice furniture, well balanced, blah blah blah. Anti walk pins, Timney trigger:
So I ask how much.
$2100
I can literally have three DPMS .308's at my FFL with shipping and transfer included for that kind of money.
Its stupid money to me as I really cannot see the value in that.

So, back to Kirk's attempt.
S&W and Colt for that matter wouldn't be able to make anything that doesn't cost a brick o' money.
And if they ever do it would have to be AR compatible and take Glock mags to sell in any kind of number to the tacticool crowd.

So...no.

·
Premium Member
6,866 Posts
Story time:

The other day I was in the pawnshop and one of the managers says he's got something nice in the back that I surely want to see.
So I ask how much.
$2100
I can literally have three DPMS .308's at my FFL with shipping and transfer included for that kind of money.

S&W and Colt for that matter wouldn't be able to make anything that doesn't cost a brick o' money.
And if they ever do it would have to be AR compatible and take Glock mags to sell in any kind of number to the tacticool crowd.

So...no.
You feeling well Swags? You have been agreeing with me on a few. :clap:
I'll go hide now! :lurk:

·
Premium Member
21,391 Posts
Story time:

So I ask how much.
$2100

So...no.
DPMS is out of business. That Sig is probably a piston model.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
26,004 Posts
So, I ask again, did S&W miss the PCC boat or could they roll out one to commercial success?
YES, they "could" but the question is, do they want to?
Something like an S&W impregnates a Mech-Tech and has an M&P frame sliding up on
a carbine upper. AR furniture compatibility is a must, Glunk mags would be a plus, but
then you lose the Mech-Tech style. They they could also do the IMI PDW route, but that
is aftermarket and may be already done?

S&W beats the crap outta Glunk in the carry weapons (price, ergos, etc) but is less popular.
I should not talk, I sold my last Smiff and still have 3-4 GLunks :duh:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts