Haskell .45 for Home Defense

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by ichthyo, Dec 23, 2015.

1. ichthyo

ichthyo Lifetime Supporter

Well, I have to say I'm rethinking what pistol to keep by my bedside. I've used a compact 9mm semi auto with a stout double action trigger pull handy at night. However I think my old Haskell .45 may be replacing it. I spent quite a bit of time at the range yesterday shootin' all my pistols including the 9mm semi, a Taurus TCP 380, Smith and Wesson K frame revolver, and the Haskell. All of the guns functioned well, but I shot far better with the Haskell than with the others. The slide is easier for me to rack, it is reliable, and the longer site radius makes me a better shot. Finally the .45 is a big hunk of lead going downrange. I'm not sure why it took me so long to realize this. I just got used to what I've been doing and really hadn't considered the .45 for HD until now.

2. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I don't see why not.
    As far as the sight radius, you may not be able to use that at all when things go bump in the night.
    The revolver will always be the least amount of work. Point and shoot.
    If the slide is the easiest for you to rack, use the Haskell.
    In the end it's what you are comfortable with.

3. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Thumb safeties tend to be a bit iffy on those old girls but otherwise they're just as reliable as the plastic ones.

There's a Stallard JS-9 as part of my HD team.

4. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Sounds good, ichthyosaurus :D

[​IMG]

This was my favorite sea going dinosaur as a child.
    I swam with them, fighting off the mighty MEGALODON on occasion :eek:

[​IMG]

5. ichthyo

ichthyo Lifetime Supporter

Yea the handle I use is strange. I'm a fisheries biologist. I usually use ichthyo pressumus, latin for fish squeezer. Wildlife biologists like to call fisheries folks fish squeezers because we squeeze eggs from female walleye each spring and take to the hatcheries to be hatched.

6. GoesBang

GoesBang Supporting Member

I have a JH 45 in my nightstand.