Have them Professionally refinished or leave them alone

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by OkSlim, Mar 26, 2016.

1. OkSlim

OkSlim Member

The rifle on top is the first gun that was ever given to me I was 6 or 7 and my Dad's best friend gave it to me.
    Shot a million squirrels and rabbits with it. Ithica Single shot 22.
    Me and a buddy tried to reblue it back when I was in HS and it went terribly wrong.

The one on the bottom is the same gun in 22 magnum. Got it in a pawn shop in Idabel Oklahoma 15 years ago.

Don't ever shoot them. They just sit in their spot in the safe room.
    Should I just leave them be or have both of them professionally refinished?

[​IMG]

2. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    This has been discussed here before, and many of the respondents
    have advocated the DIY route. Moonzy has done this several times
    but he has the proper sized tubs to do the bluing. Maybe you could
    ask him about it. I'd think they are worth getting back up to snuff,
    myself.

3. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I don't know much about them, whether they are collectable or not. The 22 LR would have lost value when you tried to re-blue it in high school. I would go ahead and refinish that one. I would wait on the 22 magnum until you determine what it's worth.

4. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

Personally, I would try to refinish them myself. At least the wood. You could have the metal Cerakoted or Duracoated. DuraCoat is a great looking finish on an old .22 like those. I had a Stevens Gillie that looked brand new.

Attached Files:

5. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Redue them yourself if you have any skill. Reblue is easy if you follow the steps. Prep is everything. Same with wood working. Take your time. PM me or Kirk if ya need to. Watch a ton of YouTube videos.

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I'm with Moonz here. If you can break it down to component parts, then you have sufficient skill to rust blue.

Attention to detail for prep is key.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

7. OkSlim

OkSlim Member

I doubt very seriously if either of the guns have much monetary value.

They will always be in my safe as long as I am alive.
    My Will clearly states who gets what and then the rest of my guns, pocket watches, pocket knives and other collectibles will go to auction.

I really don't want to do the work myself. I know a guy that will do a great job of reconditioning them. He will have them a year but when I get them back, I know I will be happy.

I may do that and then put them in a display case.

I have so many fond memories of that little .22 that before they send me off to the home or a jealous husband puts a round in my ear, I want to sit in my recliner with oatmeal dribbling down my chin, look up at them and remember being a 7 year old out on a 100,000 acres, just exploring and bringing home a rabbit or squirrel for every round I shot.

My Dad was big on not wasting ammo.