Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm writing what they call a narrative thesis for my English comp class. And the topic is "Incivilities" and the little sample essay they gave us was about some stupid bitch who was whining about how Starbucks don't greet her when she walks in the door, and they never tell her thank you, or smile at her, and they never apologize for wasting her time when it takes longer than 20 seconds to make her drink.

So I've decided to write about how poorly gun stores treat us. I get ignored, and over looked at the time when I go into gunstores...even the ones that I used to drop big money in and always bought something when I went in. They would get mad when I asked to see a gun, just got it out on the counter, and stared at me, they wouldn't tell me about the gun, nothing.

I've had a lot of bad experiences at them, I was just wondering what kind of problems you guys have had, because I need I can't just use personal examples.

·
Premium Member
10,385 Posts
I'm like you, I always try to buy something from my most frequented gunshop. The one I frequent the most is always good to me, they know me by name so I can't complain about them. There is this one that I went to about 3 times, and each time I tried to look at a gun, they were like, "are you going to buy it?". I of course said, I'm not sure, I would just like to see it. To which they replied, "well if you're not gonna buy it I'm not gonna waste my time showing it to you. Just look at it through the glass."
Took 3 times of that to happen before I stopped going there.
I will say they guys at my favorite GS are like WTF do you want a HP for, they're pieces of shat, blah blah blah. Then they started stocking them more a few months later.

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
They either ignore me or just act like an a hole until I whip out cash. It's like they see college student and think I just want to hold a gun to feel like a man or something.

Recently I went into a gunstore when I was looking to trade my PA-63 in. I had been getting offers in the $120 range, with the max being $140 for the pistol and one mag. $140 is what I paid for it, so I was planning to take that one, but I figured I'd check around to all the LGS in the area. I went to one that I bought my 995 and Glock 17 from because I liked dealing with them before. I showed them the pistol and they started talking about it loudly in front of the other 7 or 8 people in the store saying how it looked like a piece of shxt, the recoil spring was too stiff, and the mags didn't drop free. I explained that it was a military pistol, and they just didn't care and wouldn't listen. They sell lots of crap guns in there (Jennings, Jeminez, etc) so they have no right to be picky about a PA-63. They offered me $75 for it, with all 3 mags. I could see the book they were using, they were giving me the value of one in 60% condition. I told her that this pistol was more along the lines of 90% and she said, well it doesn't look that way to me, and then told me that they'd give me 60% value and resell it at 95-100%. All this happened loudly and in front of other customers. Making me look like I'm some kind of douche trying to rape them with a crappy pistol. I told them that I'd spent about $650 in this store, and will never spend another penny there. I took it to the place that offered me $140 for it, told them about the other place and we all had a good lol, then I put the money towards a 10/22 for my fiance.

I could go on and on about other incidents...but that's the one that stands out the most. Huge amounts of douchebaggery.

BTW it was Alabama Super Pawn in Muscle Shoals, AL. Don't ever shop there.

EDIT: Spelling and a grammar error.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
The owner of a shop I will no longer do business with loves the phrase " NO ONE shoots that crappy round any more". I detest some one who knocks what you want because he's to lazy or stupid to stock the ammo you want. I asked for 17HMR and 250 Savage and got his usual answer. The final time I went into his store I asked about 6.8SPC and again got the stock answer. He also won't sell or order what he considers junk guns. This includes such "junk" as CZ and Anschutz. I wanted to buy a CZ 542 American in 22WMR and was told CZ is complete junk and no one in their right mind would want one. He tried to sell me a Marlin and claimed it was superior. I ordered my CZ from another shop (Spectre) and it's the finest rimfire rifle I have ever owned.

The name of the place is "A Gun Shop".

Ron M.

·
Registered
799 Posts
wow thats really cruel of these guys.some of you should call the better bussniss bureu.most everyone here seems really friendly.wait i did have someone the other day ignore me.i was standing for about 10 mins waiting on them and they just went to the next person nistead.i dont know,like godless said might have been how i was dressed that day.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I've had a sporting goods store owner snarl at me that they don't carry military rounds when I asked if they stocked 7.62x39. I was "asked" to leave when I asked him why he had .30-06, .308, .45-70, 9mm, .45 ACP, and 12 gauge on the shelves if they don't carry military rounds...

I've also had the classic "Only if your gonna buy it." when I've asked to have a weapon taken off the wall for a closer look.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I went into a LGS that was close to work to see what they had. its 1 building but they guy runs a GS on one half and a bait and tackle store on the other half. well the owner was in the bait n taclke half so i asked if i could browse around in the gun store. he got an attitude and asked what i was looking for. i simple said ive never been to your store and wanted to see what he had. he had the nerve to tell me if i didnt know what i was looking for then i didnt need to browse what he had. i then asked if he any 9mm ammo, he said yep, i asked how much and again he said if your worried about price you dont need to be shoping here. then he said ive got blazer brass for 19.95 a box. he said if you dont like the price you can try walmart its just down the road. i simpley said ok i will never be back and ill be sure to tell everyone i know to not shop here either. what an ass

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I really, and i mean it, don't mean to sound sexist, but as soon as "she" came to help me i would have waited for someone else. sorry, just me. my LGS loves me, i bought 4 guns there in a week, 2 weeks ago, all of my cans, and i have a SBS on layaway. i really have nothing to complain about since it is the only LGS in 30 miles, the other being out in the foothills and he will rip off his grandma if he sees her coming. if i find it online, i buy it and my FFL only charges $15 if he charges me at all.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Never had a bad experience at my local gun shop..heck, if he's busy and you wanna see something behind the counter..and you ask..he'll say go ahead. You can walk behind the counter and check it out taking all the time ya need. If you want to see a pistol in the case..he'll get it out and hand it to ya..or if he's busy he'll tell you to go ahead a get it out. I gotta add he packs a pistol on his hip and knows how to use it. The best place I've ever dealt with. (Baker Brothers Bucyrus,Ohio)
As far as a "Big Business" place..I dealt with Buckeye Outdoors (Hebron, Ohio) and the guy that helped me was awesome..I wanted to buy a gunsafe..He's like let me know when you decide, which I did, and he was back in 2 minutes with the safe on a dolley..and put it in the truck for me. (I have long hair and I wear a work uniform if that helps)

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
Here's basically a breakdown of the LGS in our area.

Larry's Jewelry and Pawn - there's one nice guy in there, but Larry and his wife act like they are extremely offended if you offer a lower price than their high prices
Gun Runner - the woman that works there is pretty nice, the guy is a huge douchebag, their prices are generally high to insane
Guns n' Such - this guy is basically just a huge a hole unless you have a pretty girl with you, prices are decent to moderately high in general
Alabama Super Pawn - huge douches, rapefest prices
Pawn Max - nice people, generally their prices are right on target except some ammo
B&B pawn - no bargaining with this guy and limited selection, but he's nice enough
A Plus pawn - douche that sold me the broke mauser, high prices
Action Gun and Pawn - decent to moderately high prices, friendly store owner
Shoals Outdoor Sports - moderately high to high prices, workers are generally nice enough, but some of them will ignore you because they are lazy bums

So generally, if you shop at a gun store you can expect to get shafted pretty hard around here, except for the occasional good deal on used guns. I buy most of mine FTF or at gun shows because of this.

I've also had the classic "Only if your gonna buy it." when I've asked to have a weapon taken off the wall for a closer look.
I've never understood that line. In order to buy the gun, one would logically like to see it first. You can test drive a car...you should be able to look at a gun. It's like the gun store owners don't want to sell anything.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
one of my problems with my LGS is that i hang out at the gun cabinet, generally i'm looking for something, i'll have to take pics, the glass cabs are in front and all the expensive guns line the walls. about 5 foot back from the cabs are the used guns and the C&R's, they are in open racks and anyone can handle, dry fire, etc. that makes me think bad all the time cause there are a couple of really nice K98's there but who knows how many times they have been dry fired, and i know it does not matter, but it's the point. i'm not being racist here, but a white guy owns the store and he is great, inherited it from his dad who was a fantastic guy. there are 4 other white guys who will cater to your every whim, and 3 mexicans, one who likes me, but the others will only go to the "vato brothers" pisses me off every time. i know they make money off the hispanics (man i am really curbing my tongue here and it is hard). there are only 2 that know modern guns, meaning AR's and AK's if you talk to a couple about them it's like a mexican brick wall...!Que? Anyway, my point was when i'm checking crap out, i overhear several, and this has happened many times, whatever the customer at the counter asks for, then that is the cat's crack and if he asks about something more inexpensive it's a POS. 2 guys last week were checking out the 995's in the open area and asked the clerk about them and he actually said he would not buy!! i turned around and told them all about them, warranty, this forum etc. it is really funny though every time i convert a 995 and take it in to show them, they take it up to the owner and he comes down and congratulates me on another great conversion????? i don't get it...basically, i would just rather deal off the net cause i am hating people more and more everyday... (gotta remember to rotate the claymores at the garage)

·
Registered
855 Posts
Well I can safely say I have never had quite the negative experiences that you all have. I would say the worst I have had would be a comment like "You break it you bought it". From Virginia Beach in my military days to Kentucky, and Ohio after the military I have generally had good experiences. The best I would have to say would be Ohio Valley Outdoors in Lancaster Oh. They stay really busy and I really dont spend a lot of money there but they are always eager to help, and depending on the sales man very knowlagable. Prices are a little high but all in all reasonable. One of the older guys gives me hell every time I walk in about being a University on Kentucky in Buckeye country. Other than that it is always an enjjoyable experience.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Here's basically a breakdown of the LGS in our area.

Larry's Jewelry and Pawn - there's one nice guy in there, but Larry and his wife act like they are extremely offended if you offer a lower price than their high prices
Gun Runner - the woman that works there is pretty nice, the guy is a huge douchebag, their prices are generally high to insane
Guns n' Such - this guy is basically just a huge a hole unless you have a pretty girl with you, prices are decent to moderately high in general
Alabama Super Pawn - huge douches, rapefest prices
Pawn Max - nice people, generally their prices are right on target except some ammo
B&B pawn - no bargaining with this guy and limited selection, but he's nice enough
A Plus pawn - douche that sold me the broke mauser, high prices
Action Gun and Pawn - decent to moderately high prices, friendly store owner
Shoals Outdoor Sports - moderately high to high prices, workers are generally nice enough, but some of them will ignore you because they are lazy bums

So generally, if you shop at a gun store you can expect to get shafted pretty hard around here, except for the occasional good deal on used guns. I buy most of mine FTF or at gun shows because of this.

I've never understood that line. In order to buy the gun, one would logically like to see it first. You can test drive a car...you should be able to look at a gun. It's like the gun store owners don't want to sell anything.
hey i have a pawnmax here to.thats where i usually by my hp handguns for a great price.thery all know me there because i do alot of bussniss,really good people at this one.

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
I have had two experiences that really stick out in the last year.

First the bad one. Specialty Sports in Colorado Springs. I had been in there a couple of times just to look. I think I bought some gun scrubber once. Anyway, its a huge store. I mean huge. I think it used to be a wal-greens and they converted it. I spent about 45 minutes one day cruising the pistols looking for a hi-point c9. after not being able to find one, I asked the guy behind the counter (when he wasn't with a paying customer) if they ever stocked hi-points. He transformed into an a-hole right before my eyes, it really was quite a sight. He ceased looking at me, instead finding plenty of other distractions behind me to look at while he began bashing hi-point. "We don't have anything to do with hi-point". I asked why and he said because they were junk and wouldn't sell them. I wasn't surprised at his opinion of hi-point, but i was surprised that he would talk so rudely to a customer. He made it clear that because I wanted a hi-point, I was not worth talking to. So I left and I haven't been back since.

The second happened at the Firing Line, in Aurora CO. I had bought ammo there a few times recently. Its more expensive there, but they always have it and they have been pretty courteous, even when busy. I strolled in one day with nothing in particular in mind, just browsing. I browsed for about a half an hour and then saw it. The thing of beauty that I have been lusting after. A GSG-5 was sitting on the rack behind the counter. Oh I wanted to hold it, touch it, make it my own. I strolled up to the counter and asked if I could check it out. I told the guy up front that I wasn't looking to buy. He was super cool. Answered all my questions and BS'ed with me about a couple of other guns. I went back to looking at consignment rifles and found one that I also own. I asked another employee about ammo for that particular rifle (its no longer in production) and he was very courteous. I don't think he knew exactly what he was talking about with that particular rifle, but he was eager to help. I haven't tried bringing up hi-point with them yet, and maybe I won't. But the biggest thing was that they were helpful and even when the guy knew i wasn't gonna buy, he treated me like I was. +1 for the firing line.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I've really never had a BAD experience at any of our LGS. I would say Impact Guns is where I had my best experience. Guy there was very patient and helpful. We have quite a few gun shops around and for the most part they are nice and prices are reasonable. I have had the usual gun snobs but I've grown to ignore them. I can always find another shop to sell me the firearm I'm seeking.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Never but then Im the worlds easiest customer, I already know what I want and how much it should cost and they know if they ever want to see me again not to be rude. Besides I am as scary looking fooker with a 45 in his pants. :angel:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.