have you ever? A rookie casting question.

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Super_Virgil, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Have you ever ran your lee mold for too long and couldnt ge the handles to close or is it just me???

2. That will happen molding fishing sinkers.Bullets are no different.BTW how many did it take to get it that hot?

3. Yeah man, I wouldn't suggest you do more than 10 in a row before you let it cool off some.

4. I was geting good bullets finally so i kept going until the mold wouldnt close, about 75 pours. i let it cool and went back at it. Casted 300 some bullets last night though. The Super Virgil Bullet factory is up and running

5. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

yeah i have. the six cavity commercial molds are even worse.

SW

6. What you need is 2 molds one to use and one to be cooling off.

7. That's why I bought 2 of each mold that I wanted. I have 2 cavity molds in .45ACP and 9mm.

8. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

you rookies and your two cavity molds. Manly up and cast six at a time! he he he j/k

SW

9. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

I'll be going with 6 cavity molds. I'm paying off my motorcycle this week, so I'm going to start investing that extra cash in some casting equipment. To start, I'll probably just get 1 9mm, and 1 .40 S&W in the 6 cavity molds. I can just alternate between the two, and make two different sizes at the same time for a while...

10. I do my bullet molds like Lee suggested in his manual. You need to run the mold and alloy hot to get the proper fill-out, especially when casting with wheelweights. But there seems to be a certain temp that the mold likes best, and it will overheat quickly. Keep a small pan on the side with a little water in it, with a small folded towel inside the pan. Keep the towel saturated with the water in the pan. Whenever the mold starts getting too sticky or it's taking too long for the sprues to solidify, then after dropping the bullets, close the mold and rest the bottom of it on the damp folded towel in the pan for a few seconds. Sometimes I have to leave the mold on the pad for up to ten seconds to get it back to operating temperature.

That's the nice thing about aluminum molds that you wouldn't dare do with the steel or iron molds. I've never warped a mold using this method.

wizard93

11. Uraijit, I deleted a double post buddy.