Having some problems with my Taurus 24/7

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Glennfrank, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    So, as I indicated in a couple other posts, I went to the range today. The saiga was great, my Ruger P345 I love more every time I shoot and the 995 is still a blast to shoot (even more so now with the ATI stock and laser & bushman's operating handle).
    But then my problems started. The Taurus had previously been a dream to shoot but after a couple mags today I was stovepiping & misfeeding like crazy. :x
    Manually ejecting didn't help much either since the tips of the unfired rounds seemed to get tipped the breech to early & end up hitting the slide & the next round from the mag slammed into it.
    The only way to clear it was dropping out the mag & letting the jammed round fall out the grip.
    Gonna strip it down tomorrow and see if there is something glaringly obvious - but I am no gunsmith & it'll REALLY have to be obvious for me to see it :)

Anyone have any suggestions? I know Taurus has the same warranty as highpoint, but I really would prefer not to have to send it in.

2. Troller98

Troller98 Member

Sorry I have no insights to help, but please keep us posted. I am planning on getting a 24/7 OSS or the new 809b in the near future.

3. elguapo

elguapo Guest

What brand of ammo? Was it different than what you previously used?
    How were the magazines loaded? Were all teh rounds seated towards the back of the magazine?
    When was the last time it was cleaned?
    How many magazines? It happen to them all?

4. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    What brand of ammo? Was it different than what you previously used?

Winchester White Box - same I always use at the range. Even tried some of my bro's federal & reloads after it started.

How were the magazines loaded? Were all teh rounds seated towards the back of the magazine?

Hand loaded, all rounds seated at the back.

When was the last time it was cleaned?
    Do basic cleaning on it every time I shoot it (boresnake & wipedown). Tear it down & give it a good cleaning if I put more than 5 mags through it.

How many magazines? It happen to them all?

3 different mags, every one the same result. :(

I broke it down & gave it a good cleaning (wasn't dirty but I did it anyway) & light oil. Inspected it and can't find anything (not that I thought I would). Tried to hand cycle a mag and it happend again right away. 17 rounds, each one gets stuck on ejection - I really think the rounds are being pushed right early, but don't know what to do about it.

5. elguapo

elguapo Guest

How many rounds total through it?
    Hows the feed ramp?

6. Clean that feed ramp up, see if that helps. Odd for the pistol to act that way. If it was just one mag i'd say that was the problem, but doubt it with multiple mags w/ same problem. You didn't take the mags apart and oil them did you? Or spray anything into them? How about the pistol, take it apart recently and perhaps didn't get everything back together correctly? Sounds dumb, but have heard of this happening if the main spring is placed incorrectly, hard to explain, never seen it myself, just heard. The last time you tore down the pistol, did you lightly oil all the main contact points (slide rails)? If all else fails, call up Taurus, they have a darn good warrenty, life time, no matter how many owners, only things not covered are grips and sites.

7. Taurus357 has a point and line of questioning - something happened for this change to be this dramatic (I suspect) - like a spring in wrong - like a spring missing (I do not know Taurus guns - but some come with two guide springs - lose one, you many not notice when putting back together), like mis-assembly and the mag isn't seating the whole way, messing up the alignment.

Before sending it back - were it me, I'd take it to local shop and grab a new one and the gun smith, and to a compare / tear down to see if something's up. If this were happening slow, then more frequent I could see fluff / buff / clean helping - but this sounds like something is "wrong" - ie. not the way it should be.

8. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    Elguapo: How many rounds total through it?
    I've put maybe 500 through it, but did buy it used. Seemed barely used when I got it - no visible wear or blemishes & completely clean.

Elguapo: Hows the feed ramp?
    Looks pretty decent - I will polish it up to eliminate that as a possibility but I don't think that's it - seems more like an extractor issue.

Taurus357: I didn't do anything to the mags at all - 2 of them came with the pistol & have been fine - bought the third from cheaper than dirt 2 weeks ago & let it sit fully loaded since. This is the first time I even used that mag at a range. So I tend to agree that it really can't be a mag issue.
    I do clean and lightly oil all rails every time I tear it down. It's pretty easy to tear down - not really much room to mess it up putting it back together, but I tore it down last night to make sure & had the same problem.

Newskate9: I agree & will take it in this week, was hoping to figure it out on my own (with you guys & the internet's help). Did a google search on "taurus 24/7 stovepipe" & it seems this isn't entirely uncommon. By & large it seems that most people are fine, but for a few, things just start going wrong. Like I said, I will bring it in to my gunsmith & if he can't find anything I guess I will have to send it off to Taurus :(

I understand what you guys are saying, user error is usually the cause of my problems and I agree with you - but I am sure everything I have done is correct & I didn't do anything different - that is why this is so frustrating for me.

9. Hey there, without reading again every post - none of said "user error". We're just brainstorming things to check and all that. And you're doing a great job asking questions, looking for input, responding and all that. SO, well done!

Now, get it solved, let us know what it was so we can all learn, and get some shooting in there!

10. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    newskate9: I said that wrong I know nobody was coming out & blaming me me :)
    The ''"user error" line comes from my work with computers & their users - nothing anyone here said. Any time something goes wrong - the first thing I do is check and make sure I'm not the reason. I didn't mean to imply anything or offend anyone. and I really do appreciate all the brainstorming & suggestions!

Edit: Thinking about it, I realized that the last time I shot, I didn't even break it down, just ran a boresnake through it, so its even less likely it's something I did... which makes me feel better.. I think.

11. I would ask here---

www.taurusarmed.net

anything and everything Taurus related-- and like here, a pretty good group of gys (and gals!!)

:D

12. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    Thanks for the link.. now I am just waiting for my activation email :)