Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed today while finishing the install of my ATI stock and bi-pod on my new 995 that the screw that retains the receiver clip on the bottom of the receiver around the serial number was too long.

The end of the screw was lifting up on the receiver or the barrel instigating the alignment issues that caused me to have to drill out the front cross bolt holes in the stock in order to get the bolts through the receiver.

Has anyone else run into this problem? Or is this a widely known about subject?

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Seen it, has to be tightened just to the point of putting some pressure without lifting the receiver. One of the things about ATI stocks that cause problems.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
are you sure it was the correct screw? there are several and maybe you confused it with the shorter one that you should use. if it's too long just get a shorter one out of the nuts and bolts coffee can. i had the correct one but i went with a bigger headed one so that the clip locked in really well. my .02

·
U.S.S.
2,267 Posts
Known problem. That is why that is specifically mentioned in the install instructions that come with the ATI stock. Although, I don't believe that it is a hole alignment problem as much as it is receiver cutout problem. When placing the receiver on the stock it will rock forward and back because the cutout along the bottom of the receiver isn't flat. It has a hump in the middle of it. I just filed mine so it was flat across the bottom and the holes lined up perfectly. Takes a little more tome, but I'm happier with the fit.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Known problem. That is why that is specifically mentioned in the install instructions that come with the ATI stock.
C'Mon man... like I read the instructions lol!!!

You're forcing me to get them out and look at them. lol!!

CRAP!! I forgot to add the rubber buffer!

I just read them and my set of destructions don't mention this, in fact they say to use a #6X1/2 pan head screw and in bold letters to "tighten all screws". I just backed it out a little and left it at that.

I did indeed use the 1/2 inch #6.

I totally agree with the receiver cut-out issue.

The only part of the install that I didn't do as directed the the rear receiver cover. I tried to file it but it was taking too long.

·
U.S.S.
2,267 Posts
I just read them and my set of destructions don't mention this, in fact they say to use a #6X1/2 pan head screw and in bold letters to "tighten all screws". I just backed it out a little and left it at that.
Look at the "note" after step #14

Note: Due to stamping
tolerances and
metal forming
operations, the
holes in the
Hi-Point metal
receiver cover
may not align
with the holes
in the stock. If
the holes in the stock cause assembly problems, use a small round file
to remove stock material in area as shown in white on the picture. File
hex cap side only, right hand side.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right. But that is for the receiver cover.

I am talking about the receiver clip on the bottom of the stock. The retainer screw is too long and will project up thought the bottom of the stock and push up on the barrel causing a misalignment of the action and the stock.

Either don't screw it in all the way or use a shorter screw.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
You have to use a shorter screw. Got mine at the local hardware store and painted them black.

Also, on both of my 995's. The front holes for the receiver covers were off about 1/8" from side to side. You could see it was crooked when the bolts were put through just the receiver cover. The ATI stock was perfectly straight.

Walt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts