Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Administrator
29,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been extra distracted lately, and likely will for a while yet.

Background: I've been having some occasional instances of what feels like racing pulse and some frustrating trouble maintaining my cardio. At odd times, usually at night, while I'm thinking (paying attention/not distracted by life), it feels like my pulse just spikes; usually up into the 90s or so. And then my cardio; I just can't seem to "keep up" with the uchikomis (repetitive entries), warmups, etc. when I do judo. It's like I'm the fat kid couch potato who has to fall out of the exercise about half way through and I feel like I'm not making gains. Besides the martial arts, I generally do daily walks of a little less than 1.5 miles about 3-5 days a week at a more-or-less brisk pace (pulse goes to high 90s to 115 or so).

Now there's a history of heard disease in my family but I've been fairly healthy my entire life. I'm 54 and haven't needed meds for anything outside of an occasional ear/sinus infection. I know I let myself get lazy over COVID and I'm definitely down from what I was doing 15 years ago when I was hitting heavy cardio and body-weight exercises daily. So I didn't know if I'm just being a panty-waist little sissy and need to stop complaining like a girl, suck it up, and just get my cardio going, or.... if there's some sort of cardio involvement that I need to get taken care of before I keel over "unexpectedly."

Cue the tests.

Blood work shows that I'm "serious anemic." Normal range for Hemoglobin is 13.0 to 17.7 G/DL13.0. I test out at 8.3 G/DL. All of my "iron" count tests showed seriously low. But my Cholesterol Panel showed good.

Then there was the treadmill "Stress Test." The good news there was the report that "Patient has good exercise tolerance." The bad news is it also reports "test is positive for
anterolateral and inferior ischemia." Now, the caveat is that I haven't met with a Cardiologist yet to officially interpret and/or recommend treatment but the all knowing internet tells me that I have some arteries that are restricted, probably from plaque buildup (genetically predisposed because my Cholesterol Panel was good). The Stress Test also told me that I have a 90% chance of not dying from a heart attack in the next year. :p That actually kinda pisses me off. I could have gotten a better score had I stayed on the treadmill longer but I didn't know and the nurse said I could stop after I hit my target pulse rate and I felt tired. So I did.

So between the anemia and the ischemia, that explains why I get winded easier than I think I should and why it seems that I seem to be having such difficulty improving my cardio. The random "racing pulse" is currently being attributed to stress, of which I have aplenty.

Again, I haven't had the consult with a cardiologist yet so I don't know what, if any treatments may or may not be in the offing. But I'm sure I have more tests and appointments in my future which will serve to distract me. At least I'm not Rach; he's had like 12 heart attacks already or something. ;)

I'm actually feeling pretty confident that I'm getting into this early enough to make a difference. But it's still stressful and distracting. :(

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Super Moderator
10,145 Posts
Sounds a lot like Super Ventricle Tachycardia or SVT. I have had it about all my life. When I was young, I would have a twinge and it would immediately go away. As I aged it would last longer. I was mid-diagnosed with panic attacks. They soon enough got the right diagnosis. My heart would speed up, sometimes to more than 250 beats per minute. No lasting problems but it left me feeling like I had just run a marathon. I would sleep the rest of the day.

When I was a few years younger than you they did an ablation. 13 burns. Afterwards I felt better. Can only remember a few times I thought it would start up, but it stopped as soon as it started.

A few years ago it came back. Same 250 bpm heart rate, but this time the beat was not regular. AFib. I had a second attack this year. I will be on meds now the rest of my life.

It can cause a stroke, but I manage it. Doesn’t really affect me at all. I still do what I want to do. And a person can live with it indefinitely.

stay strong and I hope they get you diagnosed soon. Hope this lifted your spirits some.

• Sad
  • Helpful
Reactions: Rerun and lklawson

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,402 Posts
Did you have covid? Lots of weird stuff happening with those that did. Heart issues seem to be on the increase here from it. According to my sisters heart doc. She had 2 heart attacks from it According to him.

·
Premium Member
26,438 Posts
Meh, you'll be aight. Them give you something like Plavix and/or metoprolol and tell you to kick rocks until it hurts. Unless you have good insurance. Then they'll run a bunch of tests first and do the same thing with meds.

·
Premium Member
9,709 Posts
I've got Tachycardia. My bloodwork is normal except my good cholesterol is low and my bad cholesterol is high. This is how it's been for like 20 years. Now they say my platelet count is low. My tests are negative for ugly illnesses. Meh, we're all gonna go at some point so whatever.

Kirk, I hope they find a fix for you, sounds like you're doing all the stuff. Like Rach says, they'll give you an Rx for some meds and you'll be back to normal for another forty years.

Reactions: lklawson

·
Administrator
29,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you have covid? Lots of weird stuff happening with those that did. Heart issues seem to be on the increase here from it. According to my sisters heart doc. She had 2 heart attacks from it According to him.
Beats me. The only time I was ever tested for it was when I got tested for the antibodies in my blood. Turned out I just had a really bad flu. This was right before covid really took over. If I've had it since then, I don't know. Maybe I did. Maybe I didn't. I've had the cold once or twice so maybe that was covid. Never bothered with one of the tests. I did have the vaccination. So maybe that's it.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

Reactions: moona11

·
Administrator
29,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Meh, you'll be aight. Them give you something like Plavix and/or metoprolol and tell you to kick rocks until it hurts. Unless you have good insurance. Then they'll run a bunch of tests first and do the same thing with meds.
I've got okay insurance so I'll probably get more tests. I really want to try to avoid long-term meds. On the other hand, I'm planning on doing lots of long-term herbs and the like. Odor free garlic pills are in my future now. :p

·
Premium Member
22,318 Posts
Beats me. The only time I was ever tested for it was when I got tested for the antibodies in my blood. Turned out I just had a really bad flu. This was right before covid really took over. If I've had it since then, I don't know. Maybe I did. Maybe I didn't. I've had the cold once or twice so maybe that was covid. Never bothered with one of the tests. I did have the vaccination. So maybe that's it.

What's your blood type? Mine is A-, the worst for people that get covid. Type O seem to be less of a problem, less severe.

Reactions: Rerun

·
Administrator
29,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been extra distracted lately, and likely will for a while yet.

Background: I've been having some occasional instances of what feels like racing pulse and some frustrating trouble maintaining my cardio. At odd times, usually at night, while I'm thinking (paying attention/not distracted by life), it feels like my pulse just spikes; usually up into the 90s or so. And then my cardio; I just can't seem to "keep up" with the uchikomis (repetitive entries), warmups, etc. when I do judo. It's like I'm the fat kid couch potato who has to fall out of the exercise about half way through and I feel like I'm not making gains. Besides the martial arts, I generally do daily walks of a little less than 1.5 miles about 3-5 days a week at a more-or-less brisk pace (pulse goes to high 90s to 115 or so).

Now there's a history of heard disease in my family but I've been fairly healthy my entire life. I'm 54 and haven't needed meds for anything outside of an occasional ear/sinus infection. I know I let myself get lazy over COVID and I'm definitely down from what I was doing 15 years ago when I was hitting heavy cardio and body-weight exercises daily. So I didn't know if I'm just being a panty-waist little sissy and need to stop complaining like a girl, suck it up, and just get my cardio going, or.... if there's some sort of cardio involvement that I need to get taken care of before I keel over "unexpectedly."

Cue the tests.

Blood work shows that I'm "serious anemic." Normal range for Hemoglobin is 13.0 to 17.7 G/DL13.0. I test out at 8.3 G/DL. All of my "iron" count tests showed seriously low. But my Cholesterol Panel showed good.

Then there was the treadmill "Stress Test." The good news there was the report that "Patient has good exercise tolerance." The bad news is it also reports "test is positive for
anterolateral and inferior ischemia." Now, the caveat is that I haven't met with a Cardiologist yet to officially interpret and/or recommend treatment but the all knowing internet tells me that I have some arteries that are restricted, probably from plaque buildup (genetically predisposed because my Cholesterol Panel was good). The Stress Test also told me that I have a 90% chance of not dying from a heart attack in the next year. :p That actually kinda pisses me off. I could have gotten a better score had I stayed on the treadmill longer but I didn't know and the nurse said I could stop after I hit my target pulse rate and I felt tired. So I did.

So between the anemia and the ischemia, that explains why I get winded easier than I think I should and why it seems that I seem to be having such difficulty improving my cardio. The random "racing pulse" is currently being attributed to stress, of which I have aplenty.

Again, I haven't had the consult with a cardiologist yet so I don't know what, if any treatments may or may not be in the offing. But I'm sure I have more tests and appointments in my future which will serve to distract me. At least I'm not Rach; he's had like 12 heart attacks already or something. ;)

I'm actually feeling pretty confident that I'm getting into this early enough to make a difference. But it's still stressful and distracting. :(

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Dude,you are plugging up one or more of the arteries feeding the heart. You are not getting enough oxygen and the heart is speeding up to compensate for that. When you do the stress test you are forcing the heart to work hard ,thus oxygen levels increase and everything "looks" ok. Get to a cardio guy ASAP! You probably need "stints" to open up clogged arteries. Get this done before you have a heart attack because should you survive the heart attack ,part of your heart muscle dies and your heart is forever weakened.It's really amazing how far they have come with these heart procedures.I went through this 19 years ago and I'm still above ground.Good Luck.

·
Administrator
29,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Super Moderator
10,145 Posts
Reactions: lklawson

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
3,263 Posts
I have an appointment with a Cardiologist next Friday.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Just got done reading, Good Luck Kirk!!!

Heart is nothing to mess around with, trust me... bonus is I learned to take care of myself better, so knowing you just from on this forum, you will do the same!!

Reactions: Nickn10

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,402 Posts
Best thing you can do is stop listening to these guys. Go bang the ever living crap out of the old lady. If that doesn't kill you your fine. Take an aspirin and drive on.

·
Resident PITA
16,314 Posts
Go bang the ever living crap out of the old lady. If that doesn't kill you your fine.
Ahhhhh, the real mans stress test.

Reactions: moona11

·
Premium Member
26,438 Posts
Best thing you can do is stop listening to these guys. Go bang the ever living crap out of the old lady. If that doesn't kill you your fine. Take an aspirin and drive on.
That would be what I was doing when my last heart attack happened. The one that almost ended up being converted to an open chest quadruple bypass...

Edit: I was also drinking, high on edibles, and drove myself to the hospital while I was going in and out of v-fib with very long pauses with no pulse between them.

• Wow
Reactions: Rerun and moona11

·
Resident PITA
16,314 Posts
That would be what I was doing when my last heart attack happened.
Isn't this where the obligatory "Cumming & Going" punchline belongs?

Edit: I was also drinking, high on edibles, and drove myself to the hospital while I was going in and out of v-fib with very long pauses with no pulse between them.
See? Always gotta be the tough guy.

·
Premium Member
26,438 Posts
Isn't this where the obligatory "Cumming & Going" punchline belongs?

See? Always gotta be the tough guy.
Not entirely. There was also the fact that she was too messed up to drive and it would have taken the ambulance 20-30 minutes just to get to my house. I knew I was basically screwed if I waited for help.

• Sad
1 - 20 of 41 Posts