Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Administrator
29,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So I went to the Cardiologist on Friday. He has scheduled me for a CT Coronary Angiogram early next Friday morning, apparently one of two tests he's interested in. This one is supposed to be non-invasive, though he did say they'd use contrast. Depending on the results of this test, he may schedule the more invasive test and run a camera into my veins.

Until they get the results, he wants to prescribe meds as if the results are bad anyway, at least until he knows if it's not; in which case he'll take me off the meds. Coreg (which is a beta blocker) and, of course, baby aspirin. I pick up the Coreg today. Strangely the list of potential side effects include "chest pain." Sooo.... Let's give a heart patient some meds which might cause chest pain. What could go wrong? 🤣

Again, I'm pretty confident that I've jumped on this issue early enough to prevent serious problems. The only real symptom I've had is losing my wind far earlier than I should when I exercise and then apparently not being able build it back up.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
Godspeed

Reactions: lklawson

·
Administrator
29,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The CT scan showed good on everything from valves to AFib, except for the left lower descending aorta. Which apparently has two blockages, one mild and one moderate.

Cardiologist decided he wanted to get another test. This time he's ordered a heart cath. I strongly suspect that he's going to take a look at the moderate blockage and there's a good chance that he'll just stick in a stint since he's "in there already." Not sure I need one but not sure I don't either. It shocked me how winded I got climbing a moderate hill this morning at the range.

And I hate the coreg he has me on. Sometimes after doing exercise, which lowers my blood pressure, or coreg lowers my blood pressure again and I get light-headed and have to sit down or risk falling down. Not happy about that at all!

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

• Wow
Reactions: Rerun

·
Premium Member
22,271 Posts
Drink sugary soft drinks?

• Sad

·
Administrator
29,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

·
Premium Member
22,271 Posts
I had been drinking about one of them a day. Two of them on special occasions. But I've cut them all out.

(mobile)
I think they clog arteries. Heard that by a guy who sells supplements who used to be on Coast to Coast a bunch. He eats eggs and steak every day.

Dad drank lots of Coke, and Dr.Peppers. Several stints.

• Sad

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,346 Posts
Hope you get a nice shiny stint and free better.

PS
Don't take medical advice from a guy on a gun forum that has tin foil poisoning who gets advice from a guy that frequently does spots on Coast to Coast. He might be really from Uranus and used a secure secret dark tunnel to get here.

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts

·
Administrator
29,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Feel better soon, Kirk!
Thanks. I don't feel bad, per se, right now. The only time I "feel" like I shouldn't is when I try to exercise at anything more strenuous than a brisk walk. So anything over "power walking," say "a light jog" or "going up a steep hill a couple of times," or "standard warmup in Judo" just leaves me winded, can't keep up, fall out to catch my breath and not be light headed. I spend about a hour and half mowing the lawn last Friday because for the last half I had to pause for 30 seconds or so with every pass. :p

But just sitting around or doing light-to-moderate exercise, I'm just fine. But that's just not right.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
I had sudden right side chest pain back April 8. Total surprise, none of the typical heart attack symptoms.

Four hours later, three big stints. Two in the left artery 90% blocked, one in the middle 80%.

Immediate relief of pain I had had for DECADES. Literally, as the first stint was placed, most of my decades old back pain disappeared.

The ER cardiologist was amazing. She wanted to do a heart cath right then instead of waiting. Saved my life considering my blood work was normal.

I was never aware that most of my “getting older” issues were heart problems decades old. All reported to my primary care doc who was never concerned. I have a new one now.

I feel so much better. I only sleep for about five hours and wake refreshed… and bored. It takes 30 minutes of high cardio for me to start sweating instead of 10 seconds breaking out in a hard sweat just going up stairs. I’ve lost 20 lbs.

Sucks taking eight meds three times a day for at least a year, but gotta do it.

Only diet change requirement is to cut saturated fat down to 1/4 recommended amount.

I now get 30-60 minutes of cardio 110-150 heart rate at least every other day. Feels good instead of wiping me for a week.

Hang in there Kirk. The cath is a great idea because only it can confirm for sure how much blockage you have.

·
Premium Member
5,964 Posts
Thanks. I don't feel bad, per se, right now. The only time I "feel" like I shouldn't is when I try to exercise at anything more strenuous than a brisk walk. So anything over "power walking," say "a light jog" or "going up a steep hill a couple of times," or "standard warmup in Judo" just leaves me winded, can't keep up, fall out to catch my breath and not be light headed. I spend about a hour and half mowing the lawn last Friday because for the last half I had to pause for 30 seconds or so with every pass. :p

But just sitting around or doing light-to-moderate exercise, I'm just fine. But that's just not right.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Been dealing with the exact same thing since about 2010. Triple bypass in '14, did the rehab, blah, blah, blah. Still have teh exact same symptoms you describe. Current cardio doc says I always will - small arteries in my heart are blocked, nothing they can do. I taked about taking Draino - doc said I'd definitely have no more heart problems.😁;) Not recomended for judo masters, Sensi.

• Haha
Reactions: lklawson and ajole

·
Premium Member
JHP
9,224 Posts

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Just don't do what Jim Fixx did, okay?

Rerun

·
Administrator
29,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Just got back from the Cardiologist. Spoke with the Nurse Prac. Exactly what I thought.

Cardiologist is scheduling a heart cath to get a better look at the "moderate" blockage. Apparently a statistically significant number of blockages which show "moderate" on the CT are a tad more than moderate. Confirmed there's a good chance he'll stint. May go through the wrist or through the radial artery in the wrist or through the femoral artery. If they go through the femoral it has a longer recovery period of at least a week and a 10 lb. lift restriction. The radial artery has a shorter recovery.

If the stint goes in (I'm hoping it does at this point) then that should "fix" my issues of losing my "wind" with exercise more strenuous than a brisk walk.

I've been getting lightheaded occasionally with strenuous exercise as a result of the Coreg beta-blocker. Apparently I need to be more patient. It can take up to 6 weeks, so I am informed, for my body to acclimate to the Coreg after which I shouldn't be getting lightheaded from lowering blood pressure due to exercise.

As measured at the Dr.'s Office:
BP of 122/70
Pulse of 61

That's an improvement. I don't know how much of that is the Coreg and how much is a different exercise and diet routine.

I'm expecting to set up the heart cat some time in early-to-mid October.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: moona11

·
Administrator
29,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
Smoke and prayers Kirk.

Reactions: lklawson

·
Premium Member
26,360 Posts
@lklawson

Stent....say it with me one time. They're stents, not stints... Unless you're heading to the DOC to do a nickel for some evil ninja shit, it's a stent. And as a gift, my favorite jokes after having my stents placed. "Well at least now I have some value on this planet" and "I'm worth more dead, if you recycle me instead of chucking me in the bin."

I have platinum stents. The placement card is in my wallet if I ever drop dead. That way you can recover them for the cash...

21 - 40 of 40 Posts