Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
First time poster and HP owner here, i recently purchased a 4595 and so far i am very happy. I am also a long time reloader and am wondering if anyone has tried heavy for caliber bullets in their 4595? such as the Hornady xtp 250 grain. I have tried heavier than 230 grain in the 1911 just for kicks. I am thinking the longer barrel would make this a worth while adventure. Any thoughts ?

·
Premium Member
6,867 Posts
Welcome aboard. Some of the pistol caliber reloaders will come by eventually to help.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Welcome shortround ! ! !

Loved you in the second Indiana Jones movie.:D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks i am waiting patiently.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He no nuts, he's crazy! :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hear are my thoughts, "Don't do it.
1. Your carbine will work just fine with the standard bullets it was designed for. If its not broke don't fix it.
2. It's a blow back so different bullet weights could affect reliability as well as performance.
3. It is a good idea before using heavy for caliber bullets to use something like Millers twist formula to make sure the bullet will stabalize what you intend to shoot.
C. welcome.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1. Your carbine will work just fine with the standard bullets it was designed for. If its not broke don't fix it.
2. It's a blow back so different bullet weights could affect reliability as well as performance.
3. It is a good idea before using heavy for caliber bullets to use something like Millers twist formula to make sure the bullet will stabalize what you intend to shoot.
C. welcome.
Thanks for your input Connor you make valid points, but i'm not really trying to "fix" anything. I just like to experiment with different loading's, just the reloader in me i guess. It shoots great with standard loads but just have to wonder what if. So thought i would see if others have tried and what there results where.
Thanks for the welcome..:)

·
Premium Member
3,699 Posts
I don't see why that wouldn't work..especially if you use the .45 Super case to start with...... having a relatively low powered Super load behind a much heavier than normal .45 bullet should be able to get you similar Muzzle velocity as 230gr .45 ACP out of the 17.5" barrel; but with a lot more force...... in theory. I know someone on here did some load work with .460 Rowland cases out of the 4595TS....
http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/forum/f274/carbine-new-comp-converted-460-a-320885/
His loads were basically low .45 Super loads, or .45ACP +P loads but with rowland cases

·
Premium Member
36,038 Posts
When you get to the 45-70 power levels, let us know!:D

I'd load up a few slow powder low level charges and start working up...sounds interesting.

·
Premium Member
9,431 Posts
Never tried anything in the 4595, I don't have one. :eek:

But I have loaded up 250 - 260 grain bullets in the 45 Auto rim case for use in my 1917. Marked improvement over the 185 to 230 grain bullets, expecially the 250 grain hard cast semi wadcutter.

If you can get them to work in the 4595, you would have a thumper for sure.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't see why that wouldn't work..especially if you use the .45 Super case to start with...... having a relatively low powered Super load behind a much heavier than normal .45 bullet should be able to get you similar Muzzle velocity as 230gr .45 ACP out of the 17.5" barrel; but with a lot more force...... in theory. I know someone on here did some load work with .460 Rowland cases out of the 4595TS....
http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/forum/f274/carbine-new-comp-converted-460-a-320885/
His loads were basically low .45 Super loads, or .45ACP +P loads but with rowland cases
Thanks for the link it is a good read and informative.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,899 Posts
C. welcome.
Stick around Connor we will teach you something yet. You need to come visit and shoot some reading about it is different from doing it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
To moona11
You can't beat hands on experience, I'm planing a short holliday in England at a hotel which has shooting facilities for guests. It is probably 22LR.
C

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
C. welcome.
Wait, you reload?!

I thought you weren't allowed to have any guns?

·
Registered
43 Posts
We were asked for our thoughts on heavy for caliber bullets not if we were reloaders or gun owners:foilhat: I don't think what I posted was wrong or bad advice but I will say this. According to Miller a bullet with a stabalisation factor of 2 is comfortably stable. I did the maths for a 230gr standard bullet got a Twist of 1 in 34 and stability factor of 4.1. I found the barrel twist listed as 1 in 12 for SF =32.8 So according to my maths you won't find a bullet too heavy to shoot from a stability standpoint. I FEEL WHAT I SAID ABOUT TWIST WAS CORRECT however I also feel my maths must be wrong but I can't find my mistake. I don't think we need discuss twist any further as I don't want to hijack this thread.
I bow to your superior hands on experience.:blush:
C

·
Premium Member
3,699 Posts
1:12 twist rate, 17.5" (inch) barrel, with bullet weights on average 230 grains, thats pretty standard .45ACP load..heavier bullets may require slight upping of powder charge but not too much due to pressures.. +P .45 Super cases will be able to handle the 250 gr bullets easily.. just got to watch your powder charge weights especially with the possibility of blowing primers out and maybe cracking the chamber or bolt depending on where the pressures goes.
Thread linked for the .460 Rowland loads indicate a sweet spot of pressures and velocity as well as expansion without fragmentation... but the Rowland case is little longer and bullets are seated deeper so effective case capacity is very similar. Using .45 Super cases one might be able to get the +P level without overpressure.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks to all for your input everyone has good points of view. I had a moment to stop by the house today and took a quick look at one of my manuals. it listed up to 260 grain bullets in ACP brass. In the 250 grain listing AA#7 showed the highest pressure at 20,900 @ 10.5 grains with a col of 1.230. Seeing that this is below max pressure for the .45 ACP i would think that i would be good with out using a super or Rowland case. Also i would be starting far below max loading. Something i am not sure of would be the bolt speed on recoil. Would the 250 increase it beyond what a 230 +p would? (with pressure being somewhat equal)Being the carbine is just straight blow back with nothing more than the recoil springs to overcome.(as far as i know) it may not be able to handle much of an increase. In my mind as long as pressure is with in spec. all should be good. but it wouldn't be the first time i overlooked something.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts