Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where it's so damn humid..... after you take your first breath, you feel as if you just came down with congestive heart failure and need to be put on diuretics. Hot really isn't the word..... It's more like hell just turned into a ****ing sauna.

Anywho, I am here, and have a few hours before I have to go to work to get oriented to my new digs for a few hours and then I have the rest of the night off. I am working day shift, which translates to night shift Stateside. I will be working 6, 12 hour shifts with 1 day off a week, so when I get on the internet at 1900 here, it'll be early morning back home.

There are plus sides to this particular base. It has 2 swimming pools, a brand new BX, a brand spanking new DFAC, and the POL compound where I work is also brand new. Alot of the facilities that were rudimentary at best when my wife was here last year have been replaced with permanent structures as the building of the base itself continues. My living quarters are cramped to say the least. I think it's a 8'x8' room with 2 wall lockers, 2 bunk beds, a mini fridge with the TV thrown on top. The only reason this is not a downside is because it has it's very own wall AC unit. I have it set at about 50 degrees right now. I can't wait to go to bed, that's gonna rock!

The downsides to the base is of course the location and the weather. Right on the edge of the Indian Ocean/Mediterranean Sea or wherever, humidity here is something that even the deepest of the Old South can't compete with. The heat really isn't that bad..... yet. Give it about 30 days and I am sure that will change. Another thing is everywhere you go, you have to walk. In this heat, with the heavy as hell new ABU uniform the USAF just adopted, SUCKS. Just walking to the BX to get some essentials this morning at 0700 I soaked through my t-shirt, ABU top, hat and pants. Drinking water is not an option. If you are seen without a camelback or a bottle of water in your hand, someone will hand you one and instruct you to drink it on the spot. Compliance is mandatory, even if that person is lower ranking than you. Kinda sucks, but I'd rather not die of heat exhaustion. So, that's something I can deal with, even if it chaps my arse. Another thing is that it's so bright here I can't hardly see my computer screen to type this post, and my face is less than 2 feet from it. Sunglasses are a MUST.

Anyway, I am outside in the common area right now, and I am about to pack up and go back to the room and HUG my AC unit. Tonight, when it's cooler, I'll post more once I'm off work. Hopefully soon I'll have some pics to share with you guys. I'll also post my mailing address as soon as I get it.

If this post made any sense, I'll be surprised. I haven't had any sleep in the last 48 hours and I am about to fall the hell out. I have to stay awake until I get off work though, that way I'll be acclimated to the time change. Keep me in your prayers, and also pray for my wife while I am gone.

I appreciate you guys and I'll be back on later.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Re: Hello and welcome Al Udied Air Base, Quatar.

You know what you need?

Otter Pops. (or other such freezer pop). Trust me... insane heat? That's just the thing :p

Other than that, keep up the good work man! We're all pulling for ya.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts

Glad you made it okay. take care over there man.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts

Thanks for checking in with the update, it does not sound fun but hopefully you will assimilate to the heat in a couple of weeks, good luck.

·
Registered
833 Posts

Keep drinking that water or else we will have Primal jerky.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts

Sounds like your settling in man. Keep up the good spirits and when you get that mailing address please let me know as well as what type of things you can't get out there that I can help out with.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts

You know what you need?

Otter Pops. (or other such freezer pop). Trust me... insane heat? That's just the thing :p

Other than that, keep up the good work man! We're all pulling for ya.
Otter Pops yes yes yes Otter Pops is what you need, Is that something we can send ya? I can see it now, everyone hanging out at Primals place enjoing the A/C and suck'n on Otter Pops.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts

LOL... otter pops. Haven't thought of those in years. They are probably banned in Musilm countries along with alcohol, playboys, and everything else worthwhile. ::)

·
Premium Member
367 Posts

Stay cool and stay safe over there.

Thanks for serving your country!

·
Registered
284 Posts

With all that water you're drinking, just think of how lovely your skin is going to be in a few weeks!

... :angel:

a brand new BX, a brand spanking new DFAC, and the POL compound where I work is also brand new.
a what, what and a what? It's too bad we can't send refrigerated care packages. We could pool together money from all the HP forum members and send you a few months' worth of otter pops! :D hang in there!

·
Premium Member
367 Posts

With all that water you're drinking, just think of how lovely your skin is going to be in a few weeks!

... :angel:

a brand new BX, a brand spanking new DFAC, and the POL compound where I work is also brand new.
a what, what and a what? It's too bad we can't send refrigerated care packages. We could pool together money from all the HP forum members and send you a few months' worth of otter pops! :D hang in there!
BX is the Base eXchange. Think of it as a general store.

DFAC is the Dining FACility (mess hall).

No ideal on POL. In my world (purchasing), it's Point of Loading. Could be Petroleum, Oils and Lubricants according to Google.

·
514 Posts

Since we can't really send ya otter pops, and plain watter gets boring, do you have access to a freezer so we can send ya powdered drink mix and a popsicle maker? :idea:

Like everyone else has said, let us know what you need/want and can't get over there. We got ya covered man.

Cheers,
Kyu

·
Registered
833 Posts

What about the freeze ice's that they sell there in liquid form in lil plastic sleeves that you put in the freezer. If so let me know I buy them in bulk.

·
Banned
4,095 Posts

No ideal on POL. In my world (purchasing), it's Point of Loading. Could be Petroleum, Oils and Lubricants according to Google.

POL is Petroleum,Oils and Lubricants That is PS's specialty [A gas pump jockey for aircraft :grinwink:]

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Ya know, I don't know why I didn't add the explination for the acronyms, I usually do that. I'm sorry.

Yes, BX is Base Exchange. The new one here is almost the size of a regular Wal-Mart, before they went Super Sized.

DFAC is Dining Facilty, and here in a few minutes they'll have pancakes on the line. I'm gonna get me some of that for sure.

POL, as explained above is Petroleum, Oils and Lubricants, and yes that is my specialty in the USAF. However, I am getting a reprieve from working the flightline on this deployment. They have me working Day Shift Maintainence, which is what I was doing at home, working on fuel trucks when they break down. If we have to go out on the flightline, we all go together, cuz if it breaks, it breaks on the line.

Anyway, pancakes are calling me, so I am gonna bail. I have some briefings that I have to attend later today, and I am starving.

Hold it down guys, I got this under control. I'll see you guys later once I get off work.

·
Registered
503 Posts

Primal,
I appreciate you writing and sharing your adventures. I unfortunately don't know anyone in todays military. I think if you could and would keep a journal here on the forum, that would be awesome! Be safe!

·
Registered
1,875 Posts

I'm glad to hear that you went where you went, considering every other place they could have sent you. Keep hydrated!

·
Registered
927 Posts

drop that address as soon as you get it primal so we can get a few things out to you, and thanks for defending our country.

·
Premium Member
10,385 Posts

Thanks for what you are doing. Prayers be with you.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts