Hello from behind the lines in Illinois

Discussion in 'Welcome Aboard' started by jumperj, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Been wanting a pistol caliber rifle to keep my 1911 9mm company. Hi-point seems to fit the bill. The purchase is in the works, so thought I would join and get as much info as I can before the new baby arrives. Anything I should be made aware of would be greatly appreciated.

2. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum! Bout the only issue with the 9mm mags is for the pistol..... Not sure if the carbines have the same troubles. Load your mags and let em sit til you shoot it. And sometimes the mag lips need a little adjustment, but not always, as mine have been great!

3. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

You're gonna love it! I have had absolutely no issues with mine. The mags have all been fine, and she devours any ammo I feed her. Haven't tried jhp's though. Some people have said to stick with round nose. Other than that, the carbines are awesome!!!

4. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    I have the older model 995, it's got a few years on it and a lot of rounds through it. No problems or complaints here other than it eats a lot of $$$$ in just one trip to the range.

5. Grant

Grant Member

Welcome from another relative newcomer and 995 owner. Great choice.

6. bigfrank330

bigfrank330 Member

welcome
    several thousands of rounds through mine
    LOVE IT

7. Moestooge

Moestooge Member

Welcome from someone who gladly escaped the hyper-corrupt People's Republic of Ill-annoy years ago.

8. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

WELCOME from the home state of Hi Point!

Let your ADDICTION begin?

My 1st HP was a 995TS, No problems at all!

Attached Files:

9. That's quite an arsenal you've got there Macho. I wish I could afford the ammo for all those.

10. MachoMelvin

Remember, when the ZOMBIES come, you will need 1000 rds per gun!!!

11. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

I have figured on 2000 per gun and 4000 22 lr per gun.

12. MachoMelvin

Yea, but I'm on a lower budget than you!!!

13. planosteve

Probably not, I am just persistent. Most of my ammo is purchased 1 or 2 boxes at a time. I set aside 40 dollars a week for ammo. After awhile it adds up even with my inability to shoot my 4595 slowly. If I want to shoot slow I take out the bolt guns. A box of 22 lr, 22 mag, and 30-06 will last me a few hours. I only take out the 4595 about every other month as I will go through 200 to 300 rds in no time. It takes a couple months to recover from that.

I also have the advantage of inheriting 10k rounds of 22 and over 1k rounds of 45 when my father passed 3 years ago. It was a good start on a stockpile.

14. MachoMelvin

My Dad is 80 this year, he has a stock pile of alot of things. Not just guns & ammo!

15. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    I try to maintain 1000 rds per shooter. That can be a whole lot of ammo if you have a lot of different guns. At present I have principle shooters, 22mag, 9mm, and 7.62x39. The latter is not so costly to accumulate but the other two are. I am also starting to stock commercial .30 cal for my M1 Carbine.

16. planosteve

I can get good 06 ammo for what they want for 30 carbine now a days. It is downright ridiculous. I have been finding 22 mag every now and then for around $11 to $12 a box. I did manage to get some 22 mag Win 40 gr HP at wally world for $8 dollars a box a few weeks ago then it dried up.