Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say hello. I am not new to firearms but, am a new Hi Point owner. I've been a gun owner since I was in my teens (60 years old now).
I've read some good things about Hi Point and know a couple of folks that own Hi Points and they really like them. So, when I saw the Hi Point .45 ACP in a local gun store for $99, I couldn't resist. They even threw in a free box of Blazer 230 Grain FMJ on the deal 馃檪
I brought the gun home and ran about 40 rounds through it without a hitch. Mild recoil for a 45 and shoots to the point of aim. I like it!
I am curious though, the pistol is obviously used but, it came with all the factory documentation and accessories in a box with the serial number on it. I've read about Hi Points great factory service so, is the pistol some sort of factory reconditioned item?

Attachments

Resident PITA
so, is the pistol some sort of factory reconditioned item?
No. You got lucky and scored a nice JH with an original box. The accessories might be replacements but it would have just taken a phone call to acquire them.

Reactions: undeRGRound

Premium Member
Nope. You've got yourself what looks like an old heel release JH45. It's worth about what you paid for it, and getting warranty work is hit or miss on the older models. Parts availability and such. I'm more of a carbine guy so the handgun guys can give you the full details.

Resident PITA
No. You got lucky and scored a nice JH with an original box. The accessories might be replacements but it would have just taken a phone call to acquire them.
Looking closer. Box isn't original. Has new logo. So might have been sent in which is odd since they say alloy framed handguns are no longer warrantied.

• Wow

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I thought it was odd that the pistol had the box and accessories that you would normally expect to receive with a new firearm when, it is obviously used. It has scuffs and dings and other signs of use. Whatever the case I like it, seems like it is going to be a good shooter.
Looking forward to talking with everyone on the forum.

Rex

Premium Member
I have the newer model - JHP - and you're correct. Very mild recoil for a .45, very accurate, and heavy enough to be a great club if you run out of ammo. Welcome to the zoo.

• Haha

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome to the forum!

I had a few minutes to spare today so, I thought I would see if one of the mags from my Colt 1911 would work in my Hi Point since they look very similar. The mag fit sort of loose but, to my surprise it cycled the first round without any problem. If I get time tomorrow I am going to see if it feeds ok while firing.

Rex

Premium Member
Thanks for the warm welcome to the forum!

I had a few minutes to spare today so, I thought I would see if one of the mags from my Colt 1911 would work in my Hi Point since they look very similar. The mag fit sort of loose but, to my surprise it cycled the first round without any problem. If I get time tomorrow I am going to see if it feeds ok while firing.

Rex
You can buy a thingmeister mag catch to install in the newer JHP's...I THINK it might also work in the JH for you to reliably convert it to 1911 mags? Can't remember. @cicpup might know.

Reactions: moona11

Resident PITA
You can buy a thingmeister mag catch to install in the newer JHP's...I THINK it might also work in the JH for you to reliably convert it to 1911 mags? Can't remember. @cicpup might know.
JH is a heal catch.

Premium Member
JH is a heal catch.
I know, but didn't thing make a heel catch for the JH?

Edit: I just went and looked. Maybe I was thinking about a one off or failed project of his. I see he's teamed up with a certain knucklehead and JSArmsco to perpetuate a whole lot of shitty myths and bad advice.

Premium Member
Red Bay? Haleyville?

Premium Member

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I drive thru Madison on my way to work at at Redstone Arsenal. Madison and Huntsville are growing insanely fast, the work traffic can be really bad at times.
I just put up with the long drive to work so I can enjoy the peace and quiet out here in the country. I have some acreage here where I live so, it gives me a place shoot when I want and occasionally put some venison in the freezer.

Premium Member
Buddy has a son in Ardmore TN . He works at Redstone. Huntsville is near about #1 for moving to. Sweeties kids work at Polaris.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I tried a Colt 1911 magazine in my JH and it worked fine with 230 grain FMJ. Did not work at all with the Speer 230 grain JHP.
This is a pleasant surprise since, I have several extra mags for my 1911 and only the single JH mag that came with my pistol. I definitely did not run a "reliability test" but it worked fine for the one mag I ran through it with the FMJ.

Premium Member
The 14rd ProMags work good in my 4595 and JHP love them. There is the Redball 20's. I haven't shot with them yet. Bought dome used from another member.
The Thingmeister conversion allows the use of 1911 mags. That would include the 1911 drums.

Reactions: Rerun
1 - 20 of 38 Posts