Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

Just got my first hi point rifle a few days ago. I'm super interested in modifying firearms as my career is as a mechanical design engineer I work with small intricate components daily and have so many ideas for this thing.

My 995ts started life new and stock, ended up getting those butt ugly stock sights off and adding a barrel sleeve and charging handle from long range, a MCARBO sear spring kit (which I plan on throwing away after some users have told me it is dangerous), a red dot holographic sight. I also got two of the 15 round Pro-mag extended magazines.

I just ordered another stock stock to cut it and add on the JSARMSCO mil-spec adapter to get another style of stock on there as well as to reduce the weight.

Next up is to get some metal picatinny rails and angled iron sights, waiting on this for when uncle Sam decides to give me some of my IRS lottery money. 馃槀

Machine gun Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Military camouflage

Glad to be here, also if you're interested in rockets specifically Linear Aerospikes then I could go on for hours.

Premium Member
Welcome to the zoo. I'll say this before moonz, Rach and 1/2 a dozen more tell you the same thing - that Mcarbo spring set is proven to be defective. It CAN and HAS created a situation where the weapon went full auto. The other stuff - good choice, but, if that were mine, I'd put the stock springs back in - Pronto!

• Haha
Reactions: Rerun and RACHGIER

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the zoo. I'll say this before moonz, Rach and 1/2 a dozen more tell you the same thing - that Mcarbo spring set is proven to be defective. It CAN and HAS created a situation where the weapon went full auto. The other stuff - good choice, but, if that were mine, I'd put the stock springs back in - Pronto!
That is good to know! Havnt sent anything down range on it yet so I'll load two rounds, send em and see if I see anything happens. But with that knowledge and me not wanting to enter Darwin's club I'm gonna probably end up throwing the stock ones back in.

King of you Monkeys
Up down
I started to post but it got bitchy real quick. So I deleted it.

But oP beingin the career you are in you should know the dangers that kit puts you and other in. Toss it

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I started to post but it got bitchy real quick. So I deleted it.

But oP beingin the career you are in you should know the dangers that kit puts you and other in. Toss it
Sounds like that's going to be what I do. Probably gonna go ahead and take it off before even trying it then if I've got two of y'all saying the same thing. The stock trigger pull weight is pretty ass though but better safe than sorry. 馃槄

Super Moderator
Sounds like that's going to be what I do. Probably gonna go ahead and take it off before even trying it then if I've got two of y'all saying the same thing. The stock trigger pull weight is pretty ass though but better safe than sorry. 馃槄
You can clean up the pull and gritty feel through use over time, or some fine sandpaper....

Resident PITA
I'm super interested in modifying firearms as my career is as a mechanical design engineer I work with small intricate components daily and have so many ideas for this thing.
One would think you would know the difference between a trigger spring and a sear spring.

Administrator

Resident PITA
Just a little verbage breakdown. All is fair when it's just a simple post I can edit. Thanks for letting me know.
It's not verbage. They sell a reduced strength sear spring (which is dangerous) and promote it as an improved trigger spring.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's not verbage. They sell a reduced strength sear spring (which is dangerous) and promote it as an improved trigger spring.
As per my previous response, I was saying the verbage on my end was incorrect in my OP. I know that they market it as a "trigger spring kit" but it is just a sear spring replacement.

Super Moderator
I figured as much my guy. I was saying that more to the effect of I wish that there was something that made a considerable difference without sacrificing safety like the Mcarbo apparently does.
Cleaning up the fit and finish does a considerable difference make, my guy...

Reactions: Rerun

Super Moderator
That's what I did tonight. Also this thing came with fuck all for lube from the factory basically bone dry. Putting some in the places it needed to be helped significantly. Got that mcarbo sear spring out tonight as well.
Oh god no. These things show up dryer than a popcorn fart in the middle of the Sahara. Fitting, since the internals look like they were finished with a sand blaster.

Reactions: moona11

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh god no. These things show up dryer than a popcorn fart in the middle of the Sahara. Fitting, since the internals look like they were finished with a sand blaster.
There was zero lube on the firing pin assembly I took it out and was like damn what the fuck. Would also like to say I am 100% sure this thing would have gone full auto on me. The safety wouldn't engage after I checked it was cleared (hadn't fired any rounds with it) opened it up and it was because the catch mechanism hasn't returned fully up. 馃憖馃憖 Wack they can even sell this product.

Super Moderator
There was zero lube on the firing pin assembly I took it out and was like damn what the fuck. Would also like to say I am 100% sure this thing would have gone full auto on me. The safety wouldn't engage after I checked it was cleared (hadn't fired any rounds with it) opened it up and it was because the catch mechanism hasn't returned fully up. 馃憖馃憖 Wack they can even sell this product.
We actually ran him off the forum here because he refused to stop selling them and said "shit happens, not my problem" even though he was well aware of documented incidents of runaway firearms. We do everything we can to warn people away from his products.

I know it says I've only been here 8 days, but I'm having a sloght issue with my real account being frozen. I've been around since 2012...

Reactions: Rerun

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We actually ran him off the forum here because he refused to stop selling them and said "shit happens, not my problem" even though he was well aware of documented incidents of runaway firearms. We do everything we can to warn people away from his products.

I know it says I've only been here 8 days, but I'm having a sloght issue with my real account being frozen. I've been around since 2012...
I'm really glad you guys did seriously, this is the reason I join forums. 馃檹

Super Moderator
I'm really glad you guys did seriously, this is the reason I join forums. 馃檹
We appreciate you not losing your shit when it was brought up. Some folks seem to think that nobody would ever sell a proven potentially defective product on purpose.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts