HELP! .380 pistol problems

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by goodfeste, Jun 3, 2014.

1. goodfeste

goodfeste Member

Hi, Hi-point enthusiasts. I just signed on for a year membership because I now own my first Hi-point, a brand new .380. I figure I'll need a year's worth of member suggestions because I'm experiencing a constant problem in the form of FAILURE TO EJECT. There's also occasional failure to feed but I can live with that for now.

For years I've owned and shot handguns and revolvers in many different calibers. But none has given me so much grief as this .380. On the other hand, I've gotten pretty darn proficient at shaking out the spent shell and the next round that's tryin' to get into place.

I've put Blazer 95 grain, Armscor 95 grain and Prograde 100 grain through it. Constant FTE. The feed ramp is polished and I've straightened out the magazine feed ears. After loading the mag I rap it a few times before inserting in the gun.

Any ideas as to how to cure this FTE? Or should I just take the gun out to the garden and see if it'll grow a lemon tree?

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions.

2. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

First off welcome!!!! .... I don't know, but someone here will have some suggestions on the FTEs

3. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Try holding it nice and firm & don't let the recoil take control. No muzzle flipping. If that don't work let us know.

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    My first guess is limp wristing. Due to the blowback action, you need to be firm with the HPs. If you relax too much, some of the energy needed to cycle right is lost.

Second guess is bent firing pin, since that is the ejector. If bent, it can still shoot, but not eject.

And lastly, possible issues with the ejector. If the first two things aren't it, it may be worth replacing that.

Is the gun actually new? Or just new to you?

5. goodfeste

goodfeste Member

Hi, again. Thanks for the welcome. My .Hi-point 380 is brand new. I get what you mean about blowback operation but I'm sure I don't limp wrist. I got cured of that with my .40 Smith & Wesson.

After the first time shooting and the cleaning, the gun's trigger stopped functioning (no click when squeezing). So I sent it back to Hi-point. They did the following: reamed the chamber and buffed the slide. And they replaced the ejector key, sear, safety, stainless pin, firing pin and springs.

So, this FTE issue is where I am now. Its a shame because when its running OK, the gun is a pleasure to shoot. Another member suggested, on a thread about FTE on the 9mm pistol, that they lock the slide back for several days. I might try that. Thanks again.

6. talon

talon the banned wagon

Every person ever told they were limp wristing, swore they weren't. Guess what? Most all of them, were. Also, try some higher grade ammo, some HP's are very picky about what brands they like.

7. goodfeste

goodfeste Member

Hi, Talon -- thanks for the reply. Yeah, I heard that too about higher grade / hotter loads. I expect time will tell with my new ol' .380 ...:(

8. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    If I had a nickle...

9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    No you didn't. S&W aren't blowback operated. All you got was used to a tiny bit more recoil.

Grip the gun tight, try to keep it from recoiling at all. See if that fixes it.;)

10. goodfeste

goodfeste Member

OK thanks everybody for the input. But really, this .380 is no cannon. Not hard at all to control. In fact its pretty accurate, which I like a lot. The glories of a fixed barrel? And the heavy slide.

I've heard that some Hi-point guns like break-in time. I'll continue to work with it and see how things go.

11. You mentioned cleaning, are you also oiling and lubricating it well? Otherwise, I guess send it back to Hi-Point. :)

12. talon

talon the banned wagon

just a suggestion, if you dont want suggestions, dont ask questions. you seem to be blowing off the simplest, and again, usually the right suggestion. but, .......we dont know our HiPoints around here, so we are probably wrong.

13. Giving him the benefit of the doubt that he does know how to properly hold a gun, he clearly stated he has the experience, my guess would then be that it's an extractor/ejector issue, the ammo he's using should be fine.

Does it fully extract but not eject? Or is it leaving the case completely or partially in the chamber? If it's not extracting then the extractor is likely jumping the rim, replace extractor claw and spring, if it's not ejecting then it could be any number of things including the firing pin, spring, hell the frame could be out of spec allowing the mag to sit too high in the gun... Troubleshooting is indeed trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

14. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I'm betting a dollar on the firing pin being slightly bent.
    Either that or the extractor doesn't 'grab' the shell good enough and as soon as it starts coking out of the chamber it slips off.

15. MistrBackgammon

MistrBackgammon Member

Agree with leaving slide back for a week or so. Keep magazine full of ammo. Try a few more brands of ammo but a little more break in may be your best friend. I love my 380 and it has been perfect since MOM refurbished it. And I don't think you're a limp wrister I think you are a tough guy but watch that anyway and take a good look at the firing pin. Everybody above has good ideas.

16. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Why? That does absolutely nothing. Good springs must be worked to break in, sitting in a constant state doesn't do that.
    Not that HP is using the best in the business, but still.:p

Exactly. Almost every kid on the football team swears he does X right. Until you show him on film that he didn't. So concentrate on that one thing, then if nothing changes, go to idea number 2.

No judging, no name calling.:cool:

17. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

Question? How many rounds thru you .380 (approx) so far? My $$ is on bent fireing pin also. But hp is kinda pick bout what ya feed it when new. I'm at 500 rnds thru my 40 and still kinda tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum