help, AR

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by duster066, Jan 5, 2016.

1. duster066

duster066 Supporting Member

Looks like a home built.

FBomb 300AAC upper, Palmetto multi Cal lower, Magpol furniture. 700 obo. I have no other details except it's a flat top carbine. I don't know anything about these damn things. Is it possible this is a good deal?

2. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

F-Bomb uppers run anywhere from $500 - $800+ with a BCG and charging handle included buying it from them.

PSA Complete lower with magpul furniture, you're looking at $250+ buying it from them.

Pieced and parted from various sources for lowest price, I would say $700 is in the range of a decent deal. Maybe on the higher end of a decent deal. I would hit the seller at $600 - $650 and see what happens.

3. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I'll bet you can get a nice AK for $700 ;)

4. duster066

Next question would be is the 300 blk going anywhere? Although it looks like a barrel would convert this to a 556.

5. duster066

I'm not a commie!:rolleyes:

6. Rachgier

Yeah, I guess you could say it's catching on a bit more. It's not really diminishing. And yes, you SHOULD be able to go 5.56 with a new barrel, and possibly a gas system if you don't buy a barrel set up with the same length as the other barrel. I've never done the conversion, but Flash or Moonz can correct me on that.

EDIT: The BCG's are the same. You could also consider buying a second upper in 5.56 if you don't feel like swapping them out all the time, or converting it to 5.56 and selling the barrel to recoup some costs.

7. Branth

Branth Member

For a reloader, it doesn't matter if .300BLK is going anywhere. All that matters is if you like it. Until 5.56 brass and .308 bullets dry up in a few centuries, you'll be able to make your own .300BLK if you want.

That's one of the things I like about the cartridge, and why my next AR will probably be a .300 - You're not dependent on industry support for your ammo.

8. Branth

Branth Member

If you ditch the .300 barrel, gimme a call. I'm in the market for one.

9. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

You can change the barrel out and or gas system. But I would keep it and get another upper in 5.56.

10. moona11

Or give it to Branth;-)

11. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

Seconded!! Yeah, you can get a decent 556 upper for $300~ (PSA)

That way you have two rifles basically.

Or if your looking into just 556, sell the 300 to Branth! You'll be missing out though I love my 300.

Even though you don't really need it get a go/no go gauge set when putting the new barrel in (if you do). On an AR, headspacing is set by the barrel extension and the bolt dimensions so 99.99% of the time checking your headspace is not required, as long as everything is within spec. There is always that .01% chance...

Moonz, you ever run into problems with that? I know you have built a gazillion more than me.

Price wise I think its a decent deal, but like Rach said, offer $650. What the worst that could happen, he says no.

12. duster066

Well the only thing that causes interests is the caliber and price. But I know so little about these parts built guns I can't tell the good from the bad. $700 seems decent for a good gun, but high for one built on the cheap. If it's not a killer deal I won't buy it.

13. Rachgier

$700 is a good deal for a build using the manufacturers you mentioned. $600 is the "shut up and take my money" price. $650 would be my offer, but I would be comfortable with the $700.

IF you want to 'build' your own AR .300 AAC for less, you can. Check out Radical Firearms out of Texas. I picked up a complete upper in 5.56 with BCG for cheap. They run sales all the time and even give away randomly selected orders for free. You can get a complete upper from them for around $350 and a complete lower from Palmetto State Armory (PSA) for $270. You can get even lower by shopping part by part looking for deals. I was lazy, I went with complete receivers. Next build is piece by piece.

14. moona11

I got the gauges and use them annually on our M16's that are from the nam area. But have yet to see a bad one yet other than in training.

15. duster066

I'm not gonna do it although I would love to. It's not a deal I can't refuse and that is my current rule for a gun I don't need. I've only just started tooling up to load 7mm Mauser, and have spent over 2 grand on guns last year. I really want a nam era stock gun anyway.

But this is the same guy I bought my FN from, active duty Army at Ft. Lewis. So if anyone wants it you can buy with confidence, and I'll act as a go between.

16. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    +1 Branth :D

:rofl: ...are you BRAGGIN' or Complainin'??? :rofl:
    ;)

17. Rachgier

Hell, I did that last month...slacker...:D

18. GLUGLUG

GLUGLUG Supporting Member

NC
    Yeah the .300 BLK will be around a while. It just has so much going for it in the way of tailoring the loads to what you want. And that's just the round itself, couple that with the AR platform which can be configured 1000s of ways and you really have and enormous opportunity for customization. Mine took 3 deer this year. All bucks. Closest was probably 50 yards, furthest was 190 as told by my range finder.

I have about $350 in my BLK upper. I share a lower and the BCG with my 5.56 upper. The complete lower was $180 and the BCG was $180.
    So yeah I got about $700 in mine not counting optics.

I wouldn't buy it for 7 used though....maybe 5

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  19. duster066

Ha ha now you put down the challenge. So riddle me this.

Found another one I'd like help with. This one is as close to the real deal I've wanted for 35 years I'm likely to ever get.

It's a Colt target (stamped .223) with a CMP or OMP 20" Match HBAR 1 in 7 .556 barrel. It's in the correct A2 configuration I used in the AF. Frank broke it down showing the Colt specific Web in the lower and the cut away bolt. Wear on the hammer and bolt says to him, and I agree, it's seen little use. The innards are clean, but the exterior is crusty. Looks like it was gooped up with oil, dust accumulated, then the sludge dried into crust in the nooks and crannies. Otherwise it's pretty much ding and scratch free, normal handling, but not abused. It comes with a single 30 Rd mag. Oh and it's post ban I believe he said, no bayenet lug. 799 plus 9% tax.

It's a Colt it's an A2 it's in good shape low round count and I have the money. What you say ol AR guru?

20. Rachgier

Colt MT6601 or MT6601C if it has a factory installed comp. And it should be a CMP HBR in 5.56.

Discontinued around 2009 - 2011-ish and NIB went for around $1,500-ish on the high end?

They aren't rare or highly collectible and $800 might be a bit high for a used one in the condition you described. Not sure what your local pricing looks like. On the other hand, it's like you said. You want it, it's built the way you like, and it will be a solid shooter. As long as function isn't impeded by the condition, and the condition is something you can shine up like new again, go for it.