Help design my Remington 700 Police

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by MTguy, Feb 27, 2008.

1. MTguy

MTguy Member

I recently got a steal on a Remington 700 Police with a 26" bull barrel. I am debating between a few options and thought that the friendly folks here could help me out. Here it is for now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MTguy

MTguy Member

3. How's the accuracy? If it's a sweet shooter, as it should be, then order the "if it aint broke, don't fix it" kit. ;-) I'd paint the stock maybe, but other then that, I'd save the money and invest in the best optics you can afford.

4. MTguy

MTguy Member

5. MTguy

MTguy Member

Here is a real simple question. Should I get the bipod painted to match the stock? It has a brand new Harris bipod. The gentleman who did the paint job on the stock offered to match my bipod for free.

6. Why so many posts, just put all your thoughts and questions into one post my man.

7. MTguy

MTguy Member

8. MTguy

MTguy Member

I just wanted to break it up for my own sanity. It does look a little less than organized when I review it though. Haven't had it out yet, but as I understand it is an excellent shooter. I think I might be the king of aftermarket products! I want to get it done ASAP so I can post a "family picture." I just started collecting, but don't want to post any unfinished products.

MORE QUESTIONS:
    I was thinking of having the barrel fluted and coloring the inside of the flutes tan to match. Dumb idea? Will it affect my accuracy?

I also was considering getting the barrel threaded for a can or muzzle brake as well, but wasn't sure if either was worth the $$ or effort.

9. HPHooked

HPHooked Member

As to the sling question, so many people try to make the sling into a hands off carry strap in case they have to use their pistols. Keep it simple. Look around some craft stores or places that sell cloth by the yard. Get you about 5 feet of 1.25 in. wide canvas / nylon / web type belt material and a couple of nylon slide buckles and make your own sling for about $4.00 bucks (prices may vary). Then pick up a set of quick detachable sling swivels. Cheap, quick, and a lot easier to replace if needed. Also, you get to choose the color of the sling. It simply a strap to carry the rifle, not keep it on your body if you need to use you sidearm. Also use it to steady the rifle for all free hand shots. Use the money you save to invest in some top quality optics like a 3-9X variable scope.

JMHO

10. for a rifle like that I would lean towards the first sling. I have one on my 700 SPS tactical(has the same stock as you, got an upgrade). It can be a bit combersome at times with the bipod attached but its not a problem. I don't see much point in the other for this rifle.

Scope: heh don't ask me. lol

paint: hell might as well!

I think I would go for extended magwell, simple, cheap, and useful. The detachable mag setup is so damn overpriced(thought about that one too)

I'm not totally digging your ring and base setup, I think I would lean towards a one piece picitanny(sp) and get a nice set of rings.

11. MTguy

MTguy Member

Excellent advice. I am leaning in all the same directions as you have recommended. The ring and base setup is solid, but I definitely can see the benefit of the 1 piece base. I have the funds to purchase just about any scope I want, I don't think that the amount of use it will get justifies the $$. The alternative is to buy an AK, C9, Walther P22 w/ can and a Taurus PT911. Thanks so much.

12. I'm not sure if the 700P has the old or new style trigger(3 screw old style, X-mark style is new). The X-mark just plain blows. I replaced mine with a properly tweaked and polished old style and will never ever look back. Its something to check into if you have not already.

13. So many people go cheap on a scope and you almost always pay for it later(yes that's from experience, not ashamed to admit). A quality scope really should be the first thing you look at when upgrading an already percision rifle. Fluting the barrel is done to lower the weight of the rifle, shouldn't really effect your rifle accuracy once you re-scope it in as it changes the harmonics. Painting the flutes won't effect it either, and I think it would look good. Just remember, unless it's a safe queen that will never be fired , you should think which is more important a good looking rifle that you can't hit crap with at long ranges, or a rifle that may not be "tacti-cool", but will produce tight groups at 600 meters.

14. THe thing I didn't touch on earlier is scope choice, simply because it can be pretty complicated. I recommend you check out the reviews over at sniper central. THey've got the handle on scopes for this sort of application. I didn't wan to, but I had to go the "cheap, but decent quality" route when I built my rifle. I got a Mueller Optics 4-16x50 Which has a mil dot style illuminated rectical and is said to be only just a little bit lower on the optics quality than the run of the mill leoupold. Things that I have found I dislike about this scope: it is 1/8 MOA clicks, so thats a lot of turning. Also theres a quirk in the mechanism(theres a reason, go read the review) where that after the first round of adjustments the next full turn will only be HALF value. So on my 20" .308 its somewhere in the neighborhood of 50-55 clicks to get on the bullseye at 300 yards.

15. If money is not a option I would go with the Leapould Mark IV.

If you got a deal on that rifle it wil more than likely cost twice as much but it will be money well spent!!!!!!!! You might be able to find a good used one????

Here is a forum I am on that should answer some of your questions!
    http://www.snipershide.com/index.php

16. MTguy

MTguy Member

My trigger is the old style and it has been tweaked to 2 1/2 lbs. As always it seems the optics are the tricky part. I've been looking at upgraded optics (Leupold mostly). I think this is gonna get spendy. I will probably end up with the first sling and the extended mag well. I have spent so much time on the snipershide forum that I may just go buy an expensive scope just so that I don't have to do anymore research. Sniper's Hide is where I discovered the Falcon Menace originally and it had good reviews so far.