Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a new carry gun and am currently looking at a kel tec p11, since I could share ammo with it and my HP's or a 3AT, anyone have any experience with these firearms, input on how they are to carry etc, or any other suggestions for a small carry gun, any advice would be great, I love the size of my Jennings .22 but would like something with a little more bite,
Thanks,

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: a new ccw

I really would prefer a 9mm that is the only reason I am leaning away from the 3AT, since I already have 2 9mm's, and the price of .380 is a bit high, but I have not ruled the .380 out yet just leaning the other way, i really dont know of any other small 9's that are in the same price range myself though.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Re: a new ccw

How much are you willing to spend? If you got the Green Backs I say get a Glock 26 or a XD9mm Sub-Compact. A Taurus or Ruger Stub Nose .38spl would feel the bill too.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Get a P11 or P9(?)-- .380 is too high and hard to find these days compared to 9mm. Traded my Bersa t380 for a Remi 870 then bought a PT111..

I did find a P11 for $220 is Sherman TExas (GM on consignment)...looks like an ok weapon....

Due what feels best for ya, but I would steer towards a 9mm...

·
Registered
592 Posts
+1 for the Taurus PT111 Mil Pro. Good gun at a graet price.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you were to purchase a Kel-tec, I would strongly recommend against the PF9, and recommend the P11. I have both. Both are for sale. The P11 is the same size except it is about 1/8" wider, but is twice the gun as the PF9, in my opinion. Mainly from a reliability viewpoint. I don't trust my PF9 to carry. I would carry the P11, but prefer to carry my Taurus .38.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I have a PF9, love it, never have had any problems. Just make sure if you are buying used, that you get one of the newer models, as the early production runs had some issues....if you do end up with one of those with problems, send it in to get it fixed like new. They are like Hi Point with a lifetime warranty on their guns. I don't think you can find a less expensive CCW gun that is as small as the PF-9.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a PF9, love it, never have had any problems. Just make sure if you are buying used, that you get one of the newer models, as the early production runs had some issues....if you do end up with one of those with problems, send it in to get it fixed like new. They are like Hi Point with a lifetime warranty on their guns. I don't think you can find a less expensive CCW gun that is as small as the PF-9.
There are a lot of you fortunate ones that have had good luck with your PF9's then there is a lesser number of us that have not had good performance or luck. I am one of them. My opinion is just that the P11 is a better firearm than the PF9. And, you are absolutely right about the price and size. And, I must say that Kel-Tecs service is pretty damned good, just wish their products, or at least the one I purchased, came from the factory in better condition.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Kahr has a nice small and slim 9mm that isn't priced too bad.

For a .380 I got my wife a Ruger LCP and it has been 100% with everything I've fed through it.

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the only local gun shop I can find tyhat has a kel tec, has teh p11 P3AT and P32 no Pf9 and teh price on the p11 is $305, does that seem reasonable? anthought there is one more small shop that is only open 2 hours a day, if I get off work early enough tomorrow I might check there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If I had a passion or desire a PF9 or a P11, I would check on GunBroker to determine the availability and probable selling price. I don't think you will find any PF9's on Gunbroker and just a few P11's. I would check the price and add probably at least another $50, probably low, to have it shipped and the FFL transfer fee. Based on what I know, I would think that price is not too bad. I bought my P11 about 45 days ago, and think I paid $269 or $259 locally, plus sales tax of about 8%.

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
the only local gun shop I can find tyhat has a kel tec, has teh p11 P3AT and P32 no Pf9 and teh price on the p11 is $305, does that seem reasonable? anthought there is one more small shop that is only open 2 hours a day, if I get off work early enough tomorrow I might check there.
pretty average on that price (esp here lately). pf9 is highly concealable and reliable. if you get one, don't fool with the pocket clip, get Uncle Mike's no 14.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
P-11 for me - good to go. Check buds gun shop online prices too for comparison.

·
Registered
17 Posts
pretty average on that price (esp here lately). pf9 is highly concealable and reliable. if you get one, don't fool with the pocket clip, get Uncle Mike's no 14.
The reliable part is questionable. Mine wasn't as far as I was concerned. You might check the KTOG forum for additional opinions.

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
went back to two shops today and neither had the kel tec left, there was one at each shop on Saturday, and they sold there last 2 HP's, I can't believe how fast things are flying off the shelves, it's crazy.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Agree - the shelves were so bare at Gander last time there, I asked if they were going out of business. :blink:

·
Premium Member
10,372 Posts
I carry a pt 140 millenium pro and I LOVE it. They have a 9mm companion for it and it should be less than 400 or so. Not too sure if they have a 38 to go with it or not.

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I saw a taurus millineum the other day it looked pretty nice and it was around $360 I think, I might have to go give it another look, it was pretty nice. that is if it has not disapeared yet like everything else,

1 - 20 of 45 Posts