Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

HELP!! - Firing Pin Assembly

10K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  jimC2 
#1 ·
Hello,
I was having feed problems on my 45 JHP, so I took it apart to polish the feed ramp. Unfortunately, while taking it apart, the firing pin, two springs and retainer came out of the slide. So, here's the problem:
On the 45, is the entire assembly composed of only the firing pin, a short spring, a long spring, and the slide retainer? Or, did I loose somthing?

Also, how do these reassemble? I looked at the take down guide stickey but since it is for the C9, it was almost no help.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance,
Jim

#4 ·
I tried it and the coils of the two springs do indeed seem to bind on one-another. I could hear it when I tried to move the slide back, so I took it apart again, and the short spring had slid way up on the small spring. Are you sure that this is the way to assemble it?

#5 ·
Um, Big spring/small spring associated with the firing pin?

My JHP only has two "spring" shaped springs that I can think of that would be removed during basic take down. The slide spring and the firing pin spring.

Check the pictures here http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/index.php/topic,555.0.html

and see if it gets you anywhere.

#6 ·
Thanks, but I have already looked at that thread, and I doesn't show the detail I need inside the slide of the 45. I am NOT talking abbout the large front slide spring that is in fron of the trigger guard.

When I took the slide off, the slide retainer and two springs came flying out.
One spring is a longer but smaller in diameter. It measures about 2" long, and about 3/16" in diameter.
The other spring is shorter but larger in diameter. It measures about 9/16" long, and about 1/4" in diameter.

The longer pin seems to fit into the cup/cylinder in the back of the firing pin.
However, I am not sure where either spring really goes.

#7 ·
Did the sear (little metal deally that holds the firing pin back) come out? If so it might be either the sear spring, or the drop safety spring. If the sear came out, check the bottom of that. There should be a spring in the hole in it. If there is, check the right side of the frame (holding it as if aiming) and see if there is a little spring on the end of the black painted metal piece in the right most grove.

Those springs, aside from the slide spring and the trigger spring are the only ones I can think of. If it's not one of those, I'd say you have an extra spring.

#8 ·
Ok, there is one more, but that one goes between the mag release button and the mag lockout(?) and is a bi*ch to get off. I would think you would remember.

If all else fails, call mother.

all

#9 ·
There may have been a rubber seperator that came out that you did not notice that went between the two springs that would keep them from binding together. My JHP and C-9 only have one firing pin spring and a rubber ring that goes around it.

Also make sure the sear is facing the right direction. I made that mistake once and when I would pull the slide back I would get that grinding sound.

#10 ·
Thanks for the responses.
Here's a picture of the parts I have:

allthegoodnamesweretaken:
1. The short one is not the sear spring. It is too big. Besides, I checked it.
2. I'm not sure where the spring on the right side of the frame is. I don't see it?! ...tell me more.
3. Is there a way to tell if it is the mag release? The release seems to have that "springy" feeling.
4. I tried to call Hi Point, but they were closed early and will not reopen until the 14th of July (too long for me).

SCshooter:
I definitely looked hard, but I can't rule out a missing part. The firing pin looks different than the C9 though, so I don't know if the rest of the assembly would be similar or not. I got the sear facing the right direction by looking at the "take down guide" post.

Please look at the picture an hit me with any more ideas.
Thanks again...
-Jim

#11 ·

2. I'm not sure where the spring on the right side of the frame is. I don't see it?! ...tell me more.
3. Is there a way to tell if it is the mag release? The release seems to have that "springy" feeling.
4. I tried to call Hi Point, but they were closed early and will not reopen until the 14th of July (too long for me).

SCshooter:
I definitely looked hard, but I can't rule out a missing part. The firing pin looks different than the C9 though, so I don't know if the rest of the assembly would be similar or not. I got the sear facing the right direction by looking at the "take down guide" post.

Thanks again...
-Jim
Yeah, that's definitely too big for the sear spring. It's also to big for the little spring on the right side (which I have now found out is called the sear block spring. #26 here. http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/manuals/45acp.pdf on page 2 and blown up a little and labeled the sear block spring on page three.

From the look of your firing pin, you are running a newer version than I am. I heard that they updated, but since mine is still working, I couldn't get them to give me a new version. My firing pin runs over the end of the body of the pin in a machined grove on the outside. Correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like your spring actually fits on the inside of the firing pin?

If so, the large, shorter spring might fit around the actual firing pin spring? It could be something that keeps the firing pin from bumping on the slide retainer?

I'm gonna go home and take my JHP apart to see if I've got a similar set up. I use my C-9 much more, and as a result, have had it apart more. I don't have internet access at home though, so I won't get back to ya on that until tomorrow.

all

#13 ·
Crazy idea.

Try it without the fat spring.

Get an empty mag and test the magazine safety, the regular safety, and then see if it will dry fire. If it doesn't work right, we know it did something important. The thing I really love about hi points is if something is missing, they don't work wrong, they just don't work.

You may have just found an extra spring from something else.

#14 ·
I put is back together without the short fat spring. It seems to work perfectly. The mag safety works, the trigger safety works, and it dry fires fine too.

This is going to drive me completely nuts though if I can't find out what the spring was for and where it goes!!!!

I you (or anybody) has any other ideas, PLEASE let me know.

Thanks.

#15 ·
Call Hi Point and talk with a tech!

#17 ·
Hmmm I will do some more research and post back!

#18 ·
OK from my research here is what you need to do. Install the firing pin then install the long spring, then the short spring and keep it near the rear of the gun back by the slide retainer. lube the springs with a dab of gun or axle grease and finish assembling and try racking the slide to see how the springs feel.

#19 ·
This looks exactly like the NEW configuration for a C9.

Put the long soring into the firing pin, the short spring goes around the long spring. The short spring should rest against the firing pin.

They did away with the metal sleave, now they use the short, fat spring in its' place.

Yes, it "crunches" when you work the slide BUT that crunch goes away after the springs find their happy place. You can still hear it, but it's not as bad.

You have everything you need. USE the short spring, don't leave it out. Happy shooting!

Splitter

#20 ·
This looks exactly like the NEW configuration for a C9.

Put the long soring into the firing pin, the short spring goes around the long spring. The short spring should rest against the firing pin.

They did away with the metal sleave, now they use the short, fat spring in its' place.

Yes, it "crunches" when you work the slide BUT that crunch goes away after the springs find their happy place. You can still hear it, but it's not as bad.

You have everything you need. USE the short spring, don't leave it out. Happy shooting!

Splitter
This is exactly correct.

#21 ·
That looks exactly like the new ones HP sent me for my C-9 ejection problem, the long thinner spring goes in the back of the firing pin and the short spring goes around the long thinner spring.... I have fired mine since putting in the new spring assembly, works great....

#22 ·
My .45 doesn't have 2 springs, its one spring and then a retainer sleeve that fits over that. I believe the new design is the 2 springs, I think my firing pin may be slightly different, but its not due for a breakdown for a little while so I can't tell you for sure.

#23 ·
I really appreciate all the responses. When I install the short spring over the long spring, it seems to make a lot of crunching noises when I work the slide. This is why I thought this seemed wrong. Before I took it apart I never heard any of these noises. However, I wasn't purposely listening for them either.

#24 ·
I have the old model with the retainer sleeve like the others.

What I did notice is that the retainer sleeve makes a funny noise the first time the slide is racked, but not after. I think it is the sound of the spring and the retainer sleeve rubbing together as it finds a spot that the spring can compact and the sleeve won't be pushing against anything.

Perhaps yours is doing something similar? Maybe the noise you hear when you rack the slide the first time is the sound of the two springs running over each other as they are finding a "sweet" spot? Does the noise happen if you dry fire, and then rack the slide again?

all

#25 ·
Your picture shows what I found when I took a new 995 apart for cleaning. Both springs were in in between the firing pin and the retainer pin. Mine don't seem to bind even when it looks like they should.

SCshooter:

Thanks again...
-Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.