Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These instructions have me thoroughly confused, I don't know why Lee use CC's as apposed to grains. I don't even know where to start with this thing, the instructions aren't very helpful neither is my bad math. Can anyone help me out? I'm looking to set a consistent throw of x.x grains for my 9mm using IMR SR4756 powder with a VMD of xxxx can anyone of the experts here give me a hand?

load data removed - SW

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
remember, don't post numbers in load data, don't want anyone blowing themselves up by reading wrong or typing too fast.

do you have a grain scale? If so, then forget about CCs, just drop a measure & weigh it. Then adjust the measure until u get the weight u want.

After u have a satisfying weight you can make note of the numbers on the measure, but I don't bother personally. After a bit of practice it's easier to just re-weigh till u r where you want to be.

If you don't have a scale then either buy one (worth the $$) or do the math. It may not make sense, but numbers are numbers. Keep your decimals where they belong & u r good. But I feel far more comfy knowong I weighed it.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
I have to agree with SW and CU on this one. If you don't have at least a cheap beam scale, don't start loading anything until you do. Depending on what powder you're using, you may run into case capacity issues, you may also be loading a case with twice the amount of powder for the caliber you're loading etc. All of this = bad day.

Get a scale and adjust it according to the total weight of the charge. Once you get it right, throw 10 charges and weigh it together to get an idea of how much variance you get when you throw large or multiple charges. As an example of the math, you're throwing 10 grains. So, you throw 10 charges at 10 grains, you should get 100 grains when you're done. Sometimes you might get 99 grains or less, sometimes you might get 105 grains etc. Always be sure that your charge is EXACT!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a beam scale I just wanted to see if I could get the powder measure right on the first shot so I don't have to keep weighing loads and making adjustments. I just wanted to be able to throw the right charge with the powder measure so I don't have to keep adding or taking Away powder off my beam scale. Thanks for the help fellas :nerdystraight:

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Once you get that powder measure set, you usually only have to check the charge every 10 rounds or so to make sure it's consistent. I do that on mine all the time and I'm usually never off by more than 0.01 grains.

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
I have a beam scale I just wanted to see if I could get the powder measure right on the first shot so I don't have to keep weighing loads and making adjustments. I just wanted to be able to throw the right charge with the powder measure so I don't have to keep adding or taking Away powder off my beam scale. Thanks for the help fellas :nerdystraight:
ditto Primal's thots.

No need to + or - any powder from the scale. If the charge you dump on the scale isn't right then throw the whole charge back in the powder barrel, re-set the measure & drop another charge, weigh that one. If still wrong then repeat till it's right.

I'm NOT looking for tiny groups when I shoot, so when I set a charge & it's weighing right I re-check the weight only about every 50rds or so. But I am running my avg laod way under the max, so a little variance is still fine for what I'm doing. BUT... be sure to VISUALLY inspect EACH case before you press a bullet into it... after a while you can see if you accidentally charged it twice (especially w/9mm) and ya may catch that crazy round where you got distracted & forgot to load any powder at all (very embarrassing, frustrating, potentially dangerous, and especially LIFE-THREATENING if it's a round u load for self-defense!)

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
That would really suck to have a squib load when your life depends on it....

The loads that I use my Lee powder measure the most for are my .50 AE loads. Usually on those I check the weight of the charge every load. I even load on the lower side of the data and the recoil can be.... aggressive. :yes: Just ask Stryker1 if you don't believe me, or check the videos I have up on photobucket, as I was shooting my own reloads on those videos.

However, I sometimes do some .45 with that powder measure and once I have it set I only check the charge every 10 to 15 loads. 0.01 grain isn't going to affect a .45 load that much, as I load those towards the low end of the data to save powder. All I make is plinking ammo, so it doesn't really have to break the wrist. As long as I can train and stay accurate with the 1911 I am satisfied.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Anything we can do to help man. Load clean, shoot straight and don't miss. :D

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
That would really suck to have a squib load when your life depends on it....indeed!

The loads that I use my Lee powder measure the most for are my .50 AE loads. Usually on those I check the weight of the charge every load. I even load on the lower side of the data and the recoil can be.... aggressive. :yes: Just ask Stryker1 if you don't believe me, or check the videos I have up on photobucket, as I was shooting my own reloads on those videos.
where's your photobucket dude, i wanna see that!

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Go to Photobucket and do a search for carpetcop24. I am the only one on there with that username so it'll pop up right away. It'll say, no documents match your search, click here to view this members profile or some such as that.

On a couple of the shots that we filmed when I was in Vegas last year I have about a 3 foot muzzleflash. It's pretty intense.

When I get home in a few minutes, I'll post up some links. Until then, happy searching. LOL!

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Well here's an easy explaination I found that should help with the cc thing:

"VMD explanation:

The Volume Measured Density (VMD) of a powder is the volume in cc's (cubic centimeter) that one grain of powder occupies. This can be used to calculate the dipper, disk cavity or powder measure setting required to obtain a desired weight of powder.

Example:

If a powder has a VMD of .1064 , and the desired charge weight is 4 grains,

4 x .1064 = .4256, or .43 cc's

This would translate to the .3cc dipper, (because the next larger one is beyond.43 ccs) the .43cc disk cavity, and a .43cc setting on the Perfect powder measure.

We attempt to keep a current list of newer powders and their VMDs (click here)

------------------------------------------------------------ ------

Determine a VMD on your own:

Using any setting on your powder measure (preferably a whole number), drop a charge of the powder you wish to determine the VMD for. Weigh the charge. Divide the measure setting you used to drop the charge by the weight of the charge. The result is the volume (cc) of a single grain of powder (VMD)

CC setting (powder measure setting)
--------------------(divided by)-------------------- = VMD (volume in cc's for 1 grain of powder)
Weight of the sample

It is very important that you repeat this process with any new container of the same powder because the powder companies allow themselves a 16% tolerance between batches. This can result in over charging if you work from the same setting and the next container of powder you get is more dense."

Hope that helps.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
the problem with "doing it by the numbers" is bulk of powder will vary slightly from lot to lot. its normal for that to happen. you need to set it up by weighing the charge to eliminate any possibility of error. even if you do the numbers, still weigh the charges. ive never had one gone by the numbers come out exact, ive always had to tweak it. after doing it enough you can guess pretty close where the spindle on the measure needs to be to get you close to your charge weight and then tweak it little by little from there.

SW

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
I don't know which one that is, as I can't access the images from work, but everyone was wearing foam ear plugs. I won't let anyone touch my guns without all the appropriate PPE.

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
I don't know which one that is, as I can't access the images from work, but everyone was wearing foam ear plugs. I won't let anyone touch my guns without all the appropriate PPE.
Whew, good for you! I think otherwise he'd have been saying, "Eh?" a lot from then on!

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Yeah, that's a no go situation, especially with the Desert Eagle. That joker doesn't play around with the recoil, muzzle flash or noise. Once you shoot that thing, you pretty much know it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.