Help me decide!! AK 47 or 74

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Visper, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

As some of you may know, I have started the hunt for my next AK variant.

I have an AMD 65 that I have been eyeing on Classic for $499.00. Its a side folder with (1) 30 round mag.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/amd...h-side-fold-stock-and-black-poly-pistol-grips

Now as always I have done my reading up and one thing I have seen the most is getting the mag into the well can be challenging with the foregrip, at least till you get use to it. No biggie. I like the look and its another variant checked off my AK list.

Now the dilemma... My LGS just got in a consignment Polish Tantal side folder, saw it my last stop in a few days ago. Comes with (4) mil surp 30 round mags and (1) Bakelite 30 rounder. Looks like its been barely shot. Absolutely beautiful. They are asking $475.00.

I know him pretty well and he knows me... told me "I can tell by the look in your eye you want it, I'll hold onto it for a week for you."

It would be a new caliber for me, so there goes some additional cost in "stocking up".

So I ask all of you, which would you lean towards?

2. FirearmFanatic

FirearmFanatic "The Enabler!"

Me personally I would lean towards 7.62x39 because it is what I have and the ammo in my opinion is more readily available and easier to find.

3. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

7.62X39, easier to get the ammo

Real question is: 7.62X39 or the Romak .223/5.56mm version?

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    If you are collecting "AK's", then you need a 74.

If you are collecting "AK47's", then you don't.

I know a guy with a Tantal, he loves it a lot. His comment, it's as accurate as an AR, without the piston AR cost. It's iron open sights, so it's hard to compare, but it does shoot what you point it at.:p

5. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

What ajole said^^^^^. I would lean to the 5.45x39 though since you already have the 7.62x39. Flatter trajectory and more accurate. Plus a reputation for better performance in soft targets. I don't understand the harder to find though. All the LGS around here have lots of it.

6. Visper

Yes, collecting AK's in general or variants. Kinda like my VZ2008. Looks like an AK but the internals are a bit different.

I always liked the look of the Tantal for some reason. I do want both but for that price I don't think I'll find a 5.45x39 at a better price.

I really like the accuracy part with the dependability of a standard AK.

Now this is what I kinda meant, I have a crap load of 7.62x39, so the AMD65 would make sense... Not sure about the easier to find statement. 5.45x39 is everywhere, at least around here, at comparable prices to the 7.62x39.

So I guess to me, Tantal means I get to stockpile ammo that I don't have yet or the AMD and I'm good to go.

7. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Well, Like I always counsel people looking at a new caliber, I'd roll in the
    cost of 1,000 rounds of ammo, or more, as I believe any battle rifle should
    have at least 10k available and plenty of mags. You already Reload, so that
    is covered! If the Tantal in 5.45 is just going to be a secondary, I'd settle
    for 5k in ammo, possibly. Get 1,000 ASAP! (Mole Logic ;))

8. Visper

That's the only thing that makes me think, get a AK47 variant, get a little more ammo or get a new caliber and have to stock up again.

I go with 2.5k per rifle, so I have (4) 7.62x39 rifles at the moment. That's 10k, but I'm sure you mean per rifle :rolleyes:

My wife only gave me so much room in our old house for "storage" but I have my own ROOM at the new place!!

I only have 500 rounds of re-loadable brass for the 7.62x39. Its a good start, plus I get to fire em first!!

Yeah, I would get 1k rounds at least if I pick it up. He's got spam cans there 1080 rounds a case for $239.00, mil surp - 53gr corrosive, but hey its cheap!!

9. Visper

Also I think I read on here that Moonz reloads steel, is that really possible? Remember I'm new at this... I still don't have all my dies or powder yet... I just picked up some CCI 400 and 200 primers for my 300aac and 308 win. Those are the ones I plan on starting with.

Eventually I want the "capabilities" to reload every caliber I have, but I have to start somewhere.

If you can, damn it, I've thrown away a crap ton of steel cases...

10. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

Since the Russian Military surplus of 5.45X39 with the steel core (7n6) is banned from import, not so much in this caliber available. Even at the online ammo houses, the selection is low.

Best check the big online guys and see just what is available. There are a lot of AK74 guys on other boards having some problem getting a case when they want it.
    Wolf, Tula, Bears is about all there is now. And, it isn't always in stock.

Just consider ammo availability nationwide.

11. Visper

True I do have to take that into account, but Russians aren't the only ones sending us (past tense) surplus. I believe the bunch my LGS has is Ukrainian if I'm not mistaken.

You guys think that ban will ever get lifted? Or will this go the way of China - were we'll never see a new SKS ever again!!

12. undeRGRound

INDY
    I kinda try to get at least 10k per caliber, and the plan is plenty
    of reloading supplies ;) 10k per rifle is sweet, but still a "goal"

I have some AK 47 Brass, also. The hard find is the .311 boolitz :D

13. OldOutlaw

No, it will not be lifted. Steel core ammo is not made in the US even. I'd be wary of any caliber not being produced by a major manufacturer in the US right now.
    If Russia makes one more advance in the Ukraine, I bet you all Russian ammo could go away.

If your LGS has any Ukrainian ammo, must be old stock. All the 7.62x39 disappeared from shelves when Luhansk fell to the Russians just over a year ago. Ammo plant was disassembled and moved into Russia.

In fact, Ukraine is having to buy a lot of ammo as they sold off most of their surplus over the years.

14. Visper

I thought you could use 308 boolitz in a 7.62x39?

http://www.gunsandammo.com/reloading/reloading-the-7-62x39/

15. Visper

It's 5.45x39, but either way thank you for the info.

I really can't see those calibers going away regardless if we get it from Russia, another country will just pick up the slack and reap the rewards.

16. MXGreg

MXGreg Supporting Member

Check gunbot.net and wikiarms.com for 5.45x39 availability. There are considerably fewer listings than there is for 7.62x39. The 1080 round spam cans of the Russian steel core stuff is still out there and runs $260 - $280 each.

17. OldOutlaw

If you read closer, he says it bore diameters runs .308 on the small size to well over..312.
    US barreled are usually .308 he states. SKS and Com Bloc AK were all over the place. His tests were done with a .308 -groove-diameter Pressure barrel.

The .308 bullets will work in the new type rifles with barrels made in US. His article really does not pertain to every day life on old military combloc weapons.

18. undeRGRound

INDY
    The "problem" with some steel case is the de-capping, the flash holes are
    not centered, they have like 2 or 4 around the perimeter, so the de-cap
    rod will not work. The process calls for filling the case with water, and
    holding it in a fixture while driving in a properly sized pin to force the
    water to pop the primer. The fixture is usually a wood block with a drilled
    hole just larger than the size of the case, part way through, and a hole all
    the way through big enough for the primer. They call the process
    "Hydraulic De-capping"

Reloading is pretty much the same as with brass, pay attention to your
    lube and find carbide rifle dies if possible.

19. Visper

OK gotcha!! The only ones I think I would have to worry about are my old SKS's. All the AK types I have were parts kits, all of them have US made barrels.

So how would I go about checking to see what they all are, remember still learning here!!

Thanks again for you help!

20. Visper

Yeah I started watching some youtube vids on it, seems like a lot of work, but simple enough.

I even saw how to convert from berdan to boxer primed using simple copper tube. Moonz explained it to me but the videos kinda brought it all together in my mind.

Guess I'll start saving all my casings now.