Help me find a nice scope for my new one!

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by AndrewST, Feb 5, 2008.

1. AndrewST

AndrewST Guest

Ok, so I should be picking up my new Savage 111 in 30-06 in a few days and I am wanting to get a nice scope for it. Going with the standard 3-9x40 but not sure of brand and what not, tried researching it on the net and didn't really find a whole lot of information. This rifle is going to be my all around hunting setup.

Now I am not going to go cheap on the scope, a crap scope makes the rifle worthless, at the same time I am not willing to give my right testicle up for a scope.

I have a few generic ideas on what I would buy, but some advise from those of you with more knowledge than I would be great right now!

So if you had a little money to spend on a pretty decent scope setup, what would you buy?

2. I have a Savage 30-06 which came with a Simmons 3-9x scope on it. It didn't last two months before the crosshairs went diagonal inside the scope. I have a cheap Simmons Blazer 3-9x 50 scope on it now, but I'm looking at one of these for it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=554641&t=11082005

I really like the optical quality of Bushnell scopes. For the price, you can't beat it. There's hardly any difference in quality between them and the Leupold scopes.

wizard93

3. AndrewST

AndrewST Guest

I did a bit more research last night and found this scope, but was able to find it a little cheaper than midway is selling it for.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=868254&t=11082005

I read a lot of fantastic reviews on it and people seem to be talking about how great it performs, keeping up with a lot more expensive scopes, and even beating some of them.

I think I will be giving it a shot. Plus it comes with one hell of a warranty.

4. Man, some of the scopes at the Shot Show were so expensive, holy crap!!! Personally, I like Bushnell as well, but I would really like something with an objective lens larger than 40mm. I like 3x9x40's for just about everything, but sometimes you need a better view, especially for long range shooting. I was thinking about putting a 6x12x60 on my 7mm Rem Mag for long range Elk and Antelope hunting....

5. Jag

Jag Member

Here's my addition:

On my Remington ADL 700 .30-06, I have a Sightron 3X9 X 40 scope. Sightron is an up and coming optics company. I bought this rifle/scope combo back in 2004 from Sportsman's Warehouse in Anchorage. Here's some 'net links about Sightron:

http://www.sightron.com

I've shot this rifle several times now at the range and it works great! Also, Sightron has a life-time warranty on their optics--if anything should ever go wrong, just send it back to the factory and they'll replace/repair it for free!

I'll see if I can find some more info on it...

Later!

Sincerely,

Jag 8)