Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family reunion is happening at the end of September.

I know when I get there my Aunt and my Brother want to present me with 2 guns the belonged to my father. They were left to his brother when he died, and now that my uncle has passed, I'm the only family member who is interested enough in guns to keep them and take care of them and my aunt is getting on in years.

They can't tell me anything other than the fact that the pistol is a .22 magnum revolver my dad bought in 1960'somethin. And the .22 magnum rifle is a short carbine, and he got it in the 60's as well. My brother "thinks" it is a Lever Action carbine.

Anybody got any guesses. I'm thinkin Marlin, or Henry, or Winchester. But I don't know enough about manufacturers and what trends happened when to make any guesses.

I may get to pick one from my uncles collection as well. All hillbilly guns mind you. Nobody was a collector, these were all functional used weapons for food and fun.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
22 magnum revolver is probably a Ruger Blackhawk. The 22 magnum lever might be a Marlin which would be quite nice.

If the revolver is a Blackhawk, I wonder if it has the box and both cylinders and is unconverted.

I'm anxious to see.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
.22 magnum is probably from the ruger family. the .22 magnum lever probably a marlin or could be a henry. sounds like some nice gifts. 8)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm anxious to see.
LOL yeah so am I.

My buddy just brought over a gun his dad gave to him. It's a Revelation 350 .410. 1960's single shot, thumb paddle break and wood furniture.

His dad gave it to him last year, when he moved out of state, and he set it in his garage in october. No case. No wrapping. Nothing. Just stuck it in the corner of garage next to the Near Gross of #4 shot shells he gave him to go with it.
I was there when his dad gave it to him. I was helping load the truck. It was handsome. Simple, and nearly perfect.

Right now. It looks like garbage. One winter in a regular garage. Rusted, molded, no pitting, but darn close. He asked me if I could fix it back up cause he doesn't want his dad to be offended if he see's it all crapped out.

I told him I surely could fix it up and make it nearly good as new. And that he and his dad can come to my house to visit it anytime they like after that! LOL
Cause it's not leavin my house in HIS hands again. I'll give it back to his dad. But not him!!! LOL

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well.

The pistol never appeared. No one knows what happened to it. The lever action rifle it turned out, didn't exist. What was waiting was a .22 mfr Armscor 1500 bolt action imported by Ruko in the early 90's.

Turns out this is the gun my great uncle Sunny had taken with him on his "last great adventure". 2 years before he died he packed up some stuff, bought a years worth of supplies and bought a bulldog, and went up the side of a mountain in Washington state to live there a year in the woods.

He wanted to prove to himself he could live off the land.
A year later he came down the mountain. He had his gun and some other things, but he was 40 #'s lighter, and he said he didn't want to talk about the dog.

So I still have an interesting story to go along with a nice inherited gun.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
My Indian heritage tells me that the boiled dog was good that day.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's pretty much accepted that he ate that dog.

Go up the mountain with a dog. Come back down the mounting half starved with no dog.

Don't ask about the dog. LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.