Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I took the sight rail off my 995 1st Gen, and had no idea there was a part inside receiver that it threads into. I've not took the receiver apart yet. Maybe Tomorrow I'll get to it. Is it a simple fix by just taking receiver apart and threading back together the sight rail? I couldn't believe it was put together like that. Thanks

·
Premium Member
36,165 Posts
Yeah, there are two little plates with threaded holes in them. They act like super large washers to spread any strain across lots of the action cover, so they do serve a purpose. If it’s a real bother for you because you plan on swapping rail and sights a bunch, you could JB weld it to the cover, but really, it’s not an issue, as long as you loctite the mounting screws you should never need to worry about them again.

Reactions: adam01364

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, there are two little plates with threaded holes in them. They act like super large washers to spread any strain across lots of the action cover, so they do serve a purpose. If it’s a real bother for you because you plan on swapping rail and sights a bunch, you could JB weld it to the cover, but really, it’s not an issue, as long as you loctite the mounting screws you should never need to worry about them again.
Don't get me wrong, I like Hi-Point products. But, that design of the sight rail is weird as hell. usually a receiver will be drilled and tapped 6-48 or sometimes 8-40. I may just tap it 8-40 later on, because the through holes are to big for 6-48. I did get it fixed. Anyway thanks everybody for the help.

Reactions: ajole

·
Premium Member
36,165 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I like Hi-Point products. But, that design of the sight rail is weird as hell. usually a receiver will be drilled and tapped 6-48 or sometimes 8-40. I may just tap it 8-40 later on, because the through holes are to big for 6-48. I did get it fixed. Anyway thanks everybody for the help.
I hear you. I was stumped the first time I took the sights off the old monkey gun. Screws wouldn't thread into anything, and something was suddenly rattling around inside the gun!o_O

It's a 1990's non-gun engineer way of getting it right. If they had threaded the cover and someone stripped the holes out, they'd be screwed....pardon the pun. By using the plate, it's easy to replace them rather than go oversize holes and re-thread the cover, or just replace the whole thing. Obviously, you have the skill to make it the way you want....which is another cool thing about HP; you can do that without worrying about screwing anything up.(y)

It makes sense, in a cheap materials sort of way.;)

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does Hi Point have a scope base for the 995?

·
Premium Member
36,165 Posts
Does Hi Point have a scope base for the 995?
They did, it was supposed to come with the gun when new, but most were lost, because they were crap.
It's like NO other rail on earth. I can't find one online, I'll have to take a picture and post it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought mine used and may just call them and see if I can get one. Hopefully it won't be crap.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I been wanting to put a 4X scope on it. I got a good scope and rings already. Just wondered what kind of accuracy I could get.

·
Super Moderator
5,072 Posts
I been wanting to put a 4X scope on it. I got a good scope and rings already. Just wondered what kind of accuracy I could get.
Accuracy based on
1. Quality of the firearm
2. Quality and compatibility of the ammunition
3. Skill of the operator
4. Quality of the optics
5. Quality and stability of the mounts
And that's just the beginning of the variables that can effect accuracy at any given time.

·
Premium Member
36,165 Posts
I forgot to take a picture.
What it is, is sheet metal bent into a rail shape, with slots cut across it.
There is a three sided squared metal "tube" that fits into the gap in the center, to provide some stability and resistance to the squeeze of the rings.
About 4 inches long, so many scopes won't fit.

Reactions: adam01364

·
Super Moderator
9,094 Posts
What Ajole said. And here's some pics because... I couldn't find any on the web.
Rail components:
Wood Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

Rail assembled
Door Wood Fixture Door handle Rectangle

Reactions: ajole
1 - 14 of 14 Posts