Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. I am 35 years old, ex-Army infantry, and recently started getting into guns. I had five of them, and then started to go to gun shows. I got a .45 cal handgun from Hi-Point a few months ago. I had never heard of them before gun shows. When I saw the very good price-point I researched them on the internet. I was thinking, "Really? This price is just too good to be true". I am a fairly deliberative person and took my time. I then went and got one. FYI, my impression is that all of the haters on the internet of the product are due to them not owning one and price-snobbery. I am a big fan at the low-cost and the good time I had with it after I put some good ammo in. First I put in Wolf ammunition - only because that was all I could find. Later I got better ammo and the gun worked like a song.

I think I might be a Hi-Point convert because of both the value-ratio of their product and all of the good customer service testimonials I have read.

Here is where I need help and advice. I purchased a 9mm carbine from Hi Point at a gun show this weekend.

1. I can't figure out how to put the sling on. Do I have to remove some of the bolts from the gun to do it? If so, which ones? It is not in their instruction manual, which is not the best.

2. I have a scope that came with it. However, the front-sight post and the screw do not appear to fit when I was playing with it.. I assume the screw goes from the front of the gun toward the back of the gun, and the post is flush. The screw barely slips by and does not catch. I thought about contacting them for a replacement. I am sure it is the right screw, just that it does not catch.

3. I have not put on the rear peep sights yet, but there is a lot of spring in it. If I were to install it, would it be flush?

Thanks a lot for any comments you may have.

T

·
Registered
4 Posts
With the barrel pointing to your left, one sling swivel stud replaces the bolt in the foregrip right behind the front sight. The other swivel stud replaces the upper bolt at the butt of the stock. Use a 1/8" allen wrench to remove the factory installed bolts and screw the swivel studs in by hand. Do not overtighen, snug is sufficient. Now slide the buckles onto the strap about 12" and thread the end of the strap through the swivel. Then slip the end through the inside of the buckle. Do this for both ends of the strap.

These instructions were included in the box with my 995B. They are printed on a yellow piece of paper with pictures of all Hi-Point Firearms on one side and Sling Installation and Scope Mount Installation on the reverse side.

Also, there is a PDF manual available for download at the hi-point site ( http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/manuals/carbine.pdf ).

Hope this help...

Thanks for your service to our country.

2up

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
To put on the sling you need to replace 2 of the bolts with the sling swivel bolts provided. It's up to you which bolts to replace depending on how you want to mount the sling. Snug the bolts but do not over tighten them.
Here's a pic of my 995 & you can sort of see how I did it.

The scope mounts in the normal place. You should have gotten a little instruction page with it. To change the rear sight to mount the scope you need to take off the receiver cover. There should be 2 screws holding the sight on & there should be a rail & small metal bar for mounting. Set the rail on top & the bar under the cover & install the screws.
Here's the Hi-Point PDF of their carbine manual. Page 3 shows the scope mount & scope base near bottom of the page.
http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/manuals/carbine.pdf

The rear sight mounts flush without any other part on top of the cover.

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Just something to add. If you want to move the sling swivels to the opposite side of the gun (they just don't work well for alot of people on the right) then you can just find the holes you want to use and take a flat head screw driver to the pressed in nuts. Turn them a few times then you can pop them out from the other side and move them to the opposite side to thread the swivel in on the left.

Here's a picture just to prove it can be done.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanx for the post on putting the sling on the left side. I was just going to ask how to do just that. Stupendus site. I also put the Hogue grip on mine. Took it off my Glock 22 and ordered a new one for the Glock. Made a huge difference in control... Thanx again my friend.. Stash

·
Premium Member
36,066 Posts
About that spring loaded rear sight...it is designed to be pushed up by the spring against that adjuster screw, and held down by the adjuster screw only to the level you need in order to hit the point of aim. So DON'T tighten it all the way down! The four other allen bolts are what actually hold the assembly on the cover. And take it easy on them too, they break...I know... :-[

Also, the front sight is not needed if you use a scope or red dot, except the base holds the shroud on, so you may not want to take that off. When using the iron sights, you can do large vertical adjustments using that screw on the front, and then fine adjustments at the rear sight.

Have fun!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help, folks. I got the sling on. Also, Hi-Point sent me a new front-sight post. Their customer service is great. I am going to go shoot it this weekend. I will let you know how it goes.
Rakkasans!

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Don't forget to give us some pics of your gun & the targets you shoot.
Let us know what your shooting too, it's nice to know which ammo works best.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Great forum you guys have. This was my first question. I just got mine and i wasnt sure but it appeared i would need to replace 2 of them for the swivels.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi. I went shooting last week and it was a lot of fun. I had the scope mounted on it and I could not seem to get it to adjust to a good zero. Turns out I did not have the screws tight enough. I guess I was afraid to break it (from a previous comment). I tightened it, but then I felt like I was hogging the range (well, just a place to shoot) so I put it away. I put 50 rounds through - no problems. I used "9mm Luger Lellier & Bellot - FMJ 7,5g 115 grs". I am typing this right off the package. I got these at Cabela's as it was the only 9mm they had. I will use these in the future. I also fired my .45 Hi-Point and it also worked great. I need to clean them really, really well, but am currently not ready to take it apart. I will in the future and will let you know. I did clean them, but not to disassembly. I spent 4 years in the infantry, but was a suburban boy before that. If it is not standard issue Army, I get a bit nervous.

I did not take pictures, either. The thought never came to me. Will write more later. Rakkasans!

·
Registered
799 Posts
im suprised with all the help you guys give about people about hp arms and acesseres on this forum that you guys dont get a complamentery discount or something.i mean this is no difference than a sponser.maybe you should tell them about this forum and see if a deal could be worked out with them.

·
Premium Member
36,066 Posts
rakkasan, the HP factory says you don't need to disassemble the gun. Just brush and swab the bore, light oiling, blow or brush out the mag well and ejection area. After a few thousand rounds, send it to the factory, they will disassemble and clean, then return it to you!
You CAN take it apart, just read a "how to" on the forum first!

Bet that "don't overtighten" was my warning...sorry about that. :-[
Sellier and Belliot is good ammo, in my experience, and was cheap for a while!
Glad you had fun!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Also check youtube.com on disassembling videos. I converted my old 4095 carbine stock to the new 4095ts stock and found some really good and detailed videos on youtube on how to do this. I also had an issue with the trigger and found a video on how to polish the trigger to make it smoother and how to disassemble and reassemble it.

·
Premium Member
36,066 Posts
Wow...only 4 years dead, and here it is, back again!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts