Help! Replacement Car Wireless Key Costs More Than $300

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by 1024Megabytes, Mar 28, 2020.

1. We are down to our last wireless key for our 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage. I think the dealer wants $300 to $400 to replace something that likely costs $30 or less with labor included. Is there a way to get a replacement wireless key for a care that is third party? The dealerships are a complete rip off with these replacement wireless keys.

2. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Depends. Sometimes it's dealer/manufacturer specific. Check out some of the used car dealers in the area. They'll know because they don't want to eat that excessive charge either.

Edit: And locksmiths. Sometimes they have the ability to program them.

Shopfox, SDProf, Merle and 1 other person like this.

3. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

4. Rachgier

5. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I needed one for my KIA last year. Had a locksmith fix me up for around $130 IIRC

Shopfox, Rerun and 1024Megabytes like this.
  6. papadan

papadan Can't fix stupid! Supporting Member

Search Fleabay, I found one on there a couple years ago and it included the programming information.

7. Public_Domain

Public_Domain Member

Depending on where you live, check with the local used auto dealers. There will be someone that can "clone" a key, about $100. Without cloning, two working keys are required to add another key. If you have two working keys and can get someone to cut the blank you can add another key by following instructions in the auto manual. A blank is usually available on line, about $30.

Twisty likes this.
  8. LunaticFringeInc

LunaticFringeInc Member

Not to make light of your misfortune as I feel you on the flustration level...but, Thanks for reminding me why I am still driving and maintaining a 28 and 31 year old vehicles! BTW...Good luck and may the force be with you !

9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    So, you’re saying wireless...but you mean the sort of key that has a transponder, right? Not the key that stays in your pocket and you push a button?

They are hosing you. We got a key at the local dealer for my Chevy after the wife lost hers, it cost nothing to get it programmed by the dealer, and he wasn’t the dealer we had bought anything from. About $50 all in.

SWAGA likes this.
  10. Rachgier

The backstory:

Friend bought a Volvo. Previous owner had the ignition replaced by a Volvo dealer after recovering it from the police impound where they managed to lose the keys. How did the thief have the keys? Previous owner left it running in the driveway to warm up and got ripped.

The Setup:

Friend's son flushed her keys down the toilet.

The WTF:

The same Volvo dealer that replaced the factory ignition with a new, VIN coded ignition said they couldn't cut new keys for the ignition because it didn't match the factory cut, VIN coded key.

$375 for ANOTHER VIN coded ignition that needed 10 days to be shipped from Europe, PLUS $150 each for the two transponder keys....that for some unknown reason didn't come with the damn ignition.

The Aftermath:

I don't think they were prepared for my response. It was slightly NSFW, but she ended up with two shiny new transponder keys that somehow fit her ignition with the VIN-coded cut and an apology from the manager that the tech must have mistakenly keyed in the VIN wrong when he was looking it up. Free of charge.

histed, Rerun and ajole like this.
  11. I contacted a locksmith and agreed on a price. It is going to be $205. That is expensive but not as high as the dealerships.

Shopfox likes this.
  12. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

That’s still highway robbery.
    Never asked for it, never wanted it, perfectly fucking happy with a key you need to turn.

[​IMG]

Twisty likes this.
  13. Dragonbreath

Dragonbreath Member

Alabama
    A lady that I work with bought a 2018 Subaru from the used car side of the local Honda dealer. It only came with one key. Less than a month later her purse got stolen. The Subaru dealer said that since she didn’t have a key to copy, that they would have to replace both the ignition switch and the drivers side door key lock. Then reprogram the ecm to accept the new switch. Total cost including the tow bill to get the car to the dealer was quoted at $1100.
    Luckily her son had the presence of mind to try calling another Subaru dealer in the next town. They made a new key from the vin number, $285.

1024Megabytes, Shopfox, Rerun and 2 others like this.
  14. shepherd321

shepherd321 Supporting Member

last one i got at walmart 30.00

15. That was a wireless key? There is no physical key ignition on my car. It is all done wireless.

I have a Mazda 2009 and that has a physical computer chip key but also the regular traditional ignition. Replacement keys for that only cost about $70 after they are cut and programmed.

16. Chef Duane

Chef Duane Member

I had to replace the fob on my '11 Ford Edge. Its the Limited model with all the bells and whistles, auto opening rear hatch, etc. $190 smackers from the dealer. Can only be replaced and programmed at the dealership.

17. Here is an update. I went to a Locksmith who tried to duplicate the wireless key for $205. He could not do it and charged me nothing. I called another Locksmith who said he could do it. He quoted me $590. He said Mitsubishi would charge me over $600 for an extra key. I told him I was not interested.

I guess I will chance it and just go with only one key and accept the risk if I cannot get a decent price on a second key. Mitsubishi is insane if they think people will pay $600 for extra keys on their cars. They are not BMW or Mercedes Benz. I never want a car that has another wireless key again but it appears this is the way the car technology is going. Dealerships want to stuff your head into a barrel of oil getting replacement wireless key that likely costs them $25 plus labor costs to make.