Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally made this post as a reply in a different thread. But, the thread was slowly dying and not getting much response anymore. So, I decided to start my own thread with my questions.

I am a fairly new Hi-Point 995 owner. I want to acquire a few extra magazines. I found the Promag 15-round magazines. I did a little research on them before I made the purchase. Naturally, I found out that they were supposedly unreliable and not worth the effort. Everyone suggested sticking with the factory 10-round magazines. Then I found this thread: http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=c6c20dcada1a9ec76801c88255014bac&topic=18467.0 . I don't understand. So, basically, the factory magazines need as much work done to them as the Promag magazines in order to function correctly. I don't think it is very cool that original factory magazines don't work reliably 100% of the time right out of the box.

To further the confusion, the original thread that I linked to above, seems to indicate two opposite actions to remedy the problem. If you look at the 2nd post, the pictures seem to indicate that you need to widen the "primer" side of the mag lips slightly. Then, later in this thread, a couple of posts indicate that they bent the lips closer together.

I am thoroughly confused and slightly aggravated ... and I haven't even made a magazine purchase yet.

Will someone please help me clear this up?

Thank you!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had to bend open the lips my 2 brand new factory mags just a tiny bit to get them from working ok to great. Maybe break in would have done this eventually but sadly I don't have anywhere to shoot very much.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had to bend open the lips my 2 brand new factory mags just a tiny bit to get them from working ok to great. Maybe break in would have done this eventually but sadly I don't have anywhere to shoot very much.
What kind of malfunctions were you seeing?

I thought the stock photo around here about how to alter the feed lips showed the lips bent _inward_?

·
Registered
63 Posts
What kind of malfunctions were you seeing?

I thought the stock photo around here about how to alter the feed lips showed the lips bent _inward_?
I don't know the proper terms. Also I hadn't even actually fired it yet. Basically it was incredibly difficult to push out shells once loaded. Most of the time pulling the bolt back and letting it fly would only partially get a shell out, jamming everything up. Hard to get them out even by hand. They would flip upwards if they made it most of the way out but not all. Tried the "load them and let them sit" advice some people give, even though I don't think that would really do much. No change after several weeks. I noticed one worked a little better then the other, and that one seemed to be spread just a bit wider. I spread the lips just a tiny bit on both and the problems disappeared. I've since fired 100 rounds through with pretty much zero issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have 3 of the factory mags for my 995 and all work fine. I have other semi-auto rifles(10/22,mini-14,AK-47) and the factory mags work fine on those rifles as well. I seem to have the most feed problems with the aftermarket mags which frequently require a bit of tweaking to function properly. The problems I've had have not stopped me from buying them, I just plan on having to modify them. Like anything else that is mass produced, be it seatcovers, an entertainment center, or cowboy boots, a certian amount of hand fitting is often required. Jams, misfires and stovepipes go hand in hand with semi-auto shooting. A bum mag can turn a pleasant day of shooting into packing up early and storming off the range. You have never experienced true frustration untill you have tried shooting a cheap flintlock with old powder on a humid day. It would take away all the "fun" of Blackpowder shooting if it actually fired 10 rounds in a row! Good luck and keep on shooting!

·
Premium Supporter
954 Posts
All this talk about mags that need a little bending has me wondering, Have any of those "defective" mags ben dropped? It would not take much of a drop to bend the feed lips.
I have several mags , I have never dropped them, and they all work great. For ammo I use WWB fmj's .

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
fadetoblack73 gently open the primer end first try it that way if it doesn't work open the front end just a tad. You gotta play with it a little. They may have gotten pushedi n too much during shipping

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Navarre1095 The ones I got from Hi-point on Wednesday still looked the same. The feed lips were perfect and the springs seemed preconditioned. Haven't gotten my TS yet. But worked great on my remaining 995 with ATI stock.

Wish I could say the same about the mags I got in February from Hi-Point. They all required the mods shooterz and others have mentioned. Plus lots of spring conditioning. But work flawless now thanks to their advice.

Greetings from Ohio.

Walt

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.