Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Long Arm of the Law
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have it broken down but the stock will not seperate from the barrel. Any miraclle spray or lube that might help? It had been clenaed at but as I tore it down I found cosmoline caked under every part I removed. I think it is just stuck with gunk that was never removed. Evidently the rifle was cleaned on the surface only. I wouild just cut it off but it has all matching numbers. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Did you remove the pin that hold the barrel to the metal farel at the front of the stock, I had to remove this pin on my yugo to get the barrel out

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
There is nothing holding the stock to the frame of an SKS except the trigger guard. Once it is removed, turn the rifle upside down and give it a couple of good whacks with a rubber or plastic mallet, something that will not scratch or scar the metal. It will come apart. The cosmo has probably dried them together and is acting like a glue.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I would add that a brass drift or wood dowel can be inserted in the area that the trigger cam out of and whacked as well and sometimes that will help bust her loose!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
when dealing with yugo sks's, you'll learn that a hammer is your best friend
Isn't that the truth... I have had to help three diff friends with theirs in the last month! :D :D

·
Long Arm of the Law
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input. It is time to play the rubber faced hammer game I guess.

G

·
I would add that a brass drift or wood dowel can be inserted in the area that the trigger cam out of and whacked as well and sometimes that will help bust her loose!
I am lent to this as well: have you gotten the trigger group AND magazine element out of it before you do that? (you never mademention about the cleaning rod at this point)
If you dont, you should do that.
That little pin behind the triger guard, that depending on where the safety switch is is key: make sure it allows full movement of that when you depress it. Once Trigger group is out, magazine element will drop out as well. THEN, you are only "Barrel"(and reciever) still in the stock....sometimes a good smack between the two separates them.

They are all pretty much universal, but Krippp is the man as far as I know as SKSs' go...

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
Once apart, make sure you clean inside and out of EVERYTHING including the bolt, gas tube, gas valve, trigger group and clean the chamber very good as well.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
To chime in on the (hopefully) obvious....

Make sure the safety is ON when removing the trigger, otherwise it won't allow you to remove it.

How far have you got on your take down? It shouldn't take you more than 2 minutes to take it down. I have several SKSs, and depending on my mood, I change the stock before I go shooting. I can usually do it start-to-finish in less than 5 min, depending on the pistol grip and how big of a PITA the trigger is that day.

·
Registered
735 Posts
um... i think you have a bad sks , they made a few that are bad and will not come apart or is unable to clean, but i will help you by taking it off your hands for a few bucks.....cough... cough...maybe i could mount it on the wall or something....cough....cough.... :devilsidesmile:

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
um... i think you have a bad sks , they made a few that are bad and will not come apart or is unable to clean, but i will help you by taking it off your hands for a few bucks.....cough... cough...maybe i could mount it on the wall or something....cough....cough.... :devilsidesmile:
I smell something........ is that BS?? :D

·
Long Arm of the Law
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
HS or BS, either way I ain't buying. Nope all is gone cleaning rod, mag ,trigger group, all gas components etc...Will try tomorrow to apply the hammer trick on it. Thanks for all the input.

G

·
I had to pry a little between the stock and the back of the spring cover it was glued in with cosmoline.
If you had a kerosene heater,you could set it in front of it (without burning it of course) to heat it up and melt some of the cosmoline (melts around 150 degrees).
Was the whole gun covered in it? If so,how do you plan to get it out of the stock?
I'll be using an oven soon to sweat it out. I've been using auto parts cleaner(mineral spirits) to clean the rest of the parts. I took the firing pin out last night and cleaned it.Boy good thing cause it was covered in goo and it would have never come out.
What have you guys used to clean the barrel? I mean what did you use to put parts cleaner in?its so long i think in a bucket you'd only be able to do the ends and you would not be able to soak it. I got some carb cleaner also .
Good luck getting it off.
Rich

·
Long Arm of the Law
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The stock and all you can see when looking at it was cleaned. It was when I started removing the parts the cosmoline reared its ugly head. Wife had to work last night((some body has to support me))so no hammer trick today. She will be back at the Hosp tonight again so I will bang away(refering to the SKS stock of course) after she goes to work.

·
Long Arm of the Law
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Stock is free!! Hammer did the trick.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I figured that would do it! I had some of my students make me a plastic head soft face hammer just for this type of problem... It's nice having a machine shop next door!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts