help with my c9

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by HP-Texan, Jun 19, 2015.

1. HP-Texan

HP-Texan Member

I recently purchased a hi point c9 for a deal i couldn't pass up. The problem I'm having is I cannot get the pin out to take the slide off... I can tell it is a older model 9mm, I'm no expert not even close but the frame is not polymer (I don't think). The trigger had no holes and a bit different shape. It doesn't stay cocked back when reloading as my 380 and 40 s&w HP's do. With every gun I purchase I usually field strip the firearm and give it a thorough cleaning but when attempting to remove the pin it just wouldn't budge not at all.... I'm just looking for some insight on the older model HP's and some tips to help me out.

Thanks guys and gals!
    -Texan

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  2. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Post some pictures for a better look see.

3. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    If it an alloy frame it's most likely a "Model C - 9mm" and not a "C-9". Most likely it hasn't been apart in quite some time and the pin has crusted in place. Soak it with some penetrating oil and don't be afraid to whack it with authority. Show it who's boss. Also be sure the pin's not catching on the edge of the slide.

4. HP-Texan

HP-Texan Member

Will post a few pics sometime this weekend when i get a little bit of free time.

Yea i was hitting it pretty hard but i was a bit scared to hit it really hard but i will try it again after i let the oil soak in.
    I checked the pin multiple times just to make sure it wasnt hitting the slide.s hell with all i did hit it with, it didnt budge at all.
    Do you know the year they changed it from the model c to the c9? and why? is there any differences other then the trigger and the alloy frame?

I will admit tho i really do like that alloy frame, i am seriously considering doing a complete makeover on it and getting rid of the black and just letting the whole gun shine with the exception of a few spots i may leave factory black.

5. cicpup

Vermont
    Firing pin, FP spring, and possibly the dolls head are the old style. You can call Hi-Point and ask for replacements. Ask for a new retaining pin while your at it. Might not have a mag safety either. Not sure exactly when they made them but they didn't make this style in alloy for very long. It's one of the rarer ones.

Chances are the dolls head will be crusted in place too so it might be a challenge to lift the slide. Remember that you need to pull the slide about half way back to find the lift point and work at it. While apart check for any other crustyness. Firing pin channel and sear tend to do it too. Also check for any rusty parts, especially under the right grip. You can lightly sand the rust off. When you reassemble it be sure all parts move freely, especially the firing pin if you replace it. Don't be afraid to roll up a piece of fine sandpaper and run it down the firing pin channel if need be.

I've brought a few old HPs back from the dead. It's fun and satisfying. They're like a hot actress in a coming of age film. They clean up real nice in the end.

6. HP-Texan

HP-Texan Member

Thanks for the advice, will HP charge me for the parts?

7. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

NOPE , Absolutely FREE!

8. cicpup

Vermont
    Parts are free. Rip it apart, make a list and call when they first open in the morning. I'll start your list for you.

Firing Pin
    Firing Pin Springs
    Sear Spring
    Dolls Head (slide retainer)
    Slide Retainer Pin
    Recoil Spring

If you really like it definitely try and avoid sending it in. You run the risk of losing it and gaining a new poly C-9.

9. HP-Texan

HP-Texan Member

Yea I really do like it, I am planning a real nice polish job on it, I think it would be a real stand out HP. That's awesome parts are free! Will call first thing Monday morning I'm assuming they are not open Sunday.

10. MachoMelvin

11. HP-Texan

HP-Texan Member

Well I finally got it disassembled and I see the differences in old and new. The hardest part was lining the dollhead up correctly it gave me hell. Going to call HP tomorrow for my replacement parts. So far this is the list in going to use

Firing Pin
    Firing Pin Springs
    Sear Spring
    Dolls Head (slide retainer)
    Slide Retainer Pin
    Recoil Spring

Looking forward to getting this gun shooting like I know it could, in planning a range trip tomorrow to shoot as is and see how it goes. I have yet to shoot it and so far all I have done is clean it real good and polish the feed ramp.
    Here is a picture of it taken apart and all the parts that were inside.. Quite different then the new models.

Attached Files:

12. MachoMelvin

Looks like a polymer frame model "C", with fixed sights?