Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Racking my brains out trying to decide on a Turret or a single stage. And then I can't decide if I want the single stage with the safe prime unit or get one with the auto prime. :-[

·
Registered
581 Posts
I have the single stage and the 3 hole turret, both work great. but then I use my turret more like a single stage anyway lol. the turret saves time on the dies and I like that. I hand prime my brass, so cant help you on that part. just me I dont trust the presses to do that, again just me.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Your so right it is torture to decide. I finally went with the Lee 4 hole turret press because:

It can be used as a semi-progressive or single stage, and a single stage is always a single stage. Has the advantage of extra turrets if you shoot multiple calibers then you only need to set the dies once and after that just swap out turrets. The 4 hole turret allows the use of a 4 die set including the factory crimp die. Cost much less than other companies presses. 2 year no questions asked warranty. Lifetime 1/2 cost for replacement warranty. Faster than a single stage but not as complicated and tempermental as a full progressive. I've been 100% happy with my turret press for about 6K rounds.

I hand prime with the auto prime because I was never happy with the speed or results of the safety prime on my press. Hand priming is much faster, easier and accurate for me.

I also highly suggest getting the auto disc riser and swivel adaptor if you decide on the turret press. They should come with it but don't. Cost is minimal for the 2 items and it will make life much easier if you go with the turret press. Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
I have to agree with 2tn on this one, When I first ordered my equipment it consisted of (among other things a Lee breech lock anniversary kit, and a Lee hand press. I actually never used the breech lock challenger press except for a few occasions where I decided to just give it one try. It was nothing against the press it was just that my little hand press worked just as good for a little single stage.

I bought the 4 hole turret press and love it. It gives you the option of using it in single stage mode if you are just starting out and want to take it slow. Or you can put the indexing rod in and it will automatically change stations every downstroke of the ram. When you are using it in Auto-index mode you are able to load a high volume and keep a tight check on the Safety issues. For me its the best of both worlds but if I had to do it all over again the turret press would be my first pick.

I also would recommend getting the hand actuated auto prime its pretty fast I mean you prime 50 cases in like 2 minutes or less if you get a good rythym. I really do not like the lee lever prime that comes with the single stage presses, I guess I'm just not used to priming on the downstroke but its a real PITA to me.

I would recommend the Lee Turret press 4 hole (the cheaper of their 2 turret press will do just fine)
I would recommend getting a couple extra turrets if you are going to reload multiple calibers
An auto prime hand unit with the shellholder set
If you go with the turret I would recommend the auto disk pro powder measure and the adjustable charge bar
in my experience the riser for charging the cases isn't necessary unless you get their safety prime system
and IIRC the auto disk pro comes with a swivel adapter
Also I recommend the lee hand press its relatively cheap and its ever so useful for depriming/sizing cases while watching a movie or whatever on the couch.

Lastly, I would like to Recommend Natchez as a source for all of that. www.natchezss.com Midway is good too www.midwayusa.com

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
How much ammo do you shoot? Do you want the best ammo you can get, or do you want more ammo quicker?? A turret you can crank out 1 complete round with 4 pulls of the press, you can also go single stage. the auto disk powder measure withe the lee pistol dies allow you to charge and expand in one step in a split second. i like to prime off the press. You do not have to deprime, remove case from shell holder, reprime. i do not clean my primer pockets, so i just deprime and reprime in 1 step. go with the saftey prime. It goes alot smoother and you dont have to worry about how many primers you put in it. You know the whole lee and winchester large pistol thing.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
If you start reloading .45ACP make sure when you separate your brass, remove all of the Speer .45 brass out of the rest of it. The reason is because the Speer .45ACP uses a small pistol primer whereas everything else uses a large pistol primer. That will save you a lot of headache and crushed primers if you're trying to prime off your press.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you start reloading .45ACP make sure when you separate your brass, remove all of the Speer .45 brass out of the rest of it. The reason is because the Speer .45ACP uses a small pistol primer whereas everything else uses a large pistol primer. That will save you a lot of headache and crushed primers if you're trying to prime off your press.
OK. This got me thinking of another question I was going to ask later. Should I be separating the brass into groups anyway? Was at the range last night and stuck around to help clean up. Picked up all the 9mm brass I could find. So now I have a bag full of 9mm brass from different makers. Winchester, Remingtion, Federal, etc. Is it OK to reload the different brass all together or should I group Winchester with Winchester, and so on?

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
If you are going for match grade stuff, yes sort it out, if not then no.
Plus, I would think that if you were going for that, you should pick one brand and stick to that brand for all your match grade loading. Which ever brand you have the most of, should work.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
It's not just Speer brand 45acp brass. I also have quite a few Federal brass that have small pistol primer pockets and have been told there others.

What I do is check all the primer pockets on any "new" to me brass with my pocket cleaner for size. After that check and sorting, as to pocket size, I never check pocket size again. I reload and shoot mixed brass because I'm not doing match shooting. After you get into it you'll develop your own style and do what is comfortable to you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.