Help with scope rings

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by tallbump, Jul 14, 2014.

1. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Ok, I am going to be mounting a scope on my Mossberg 500A.

I will be using the Weaver No-Gunsmith Converta Shotgun Mount

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00162QKT6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2IM1D7FMH353W&coliid=I47T0BTALWWFR

Weaver Shotgun "No Gunsmithing Converta Mount
    Multi slot base allows you to mount a variety of optics including scopes, red dots, lasers while obtaining the optimum eye relief

I am looking at a nice Centerfire scope, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004IKYKOA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2IM1D7FMH353W&coliid=I1SLL548EPPWAB

but it comes with dovetail rings. I have figured out I need weaver rings. Trying to find some that will hold up to a shotgun without spending a ton. Hopefully under $20. Preferably on Amazon.

2. tallbump

Might go with a red dot scope instead, still haven't decided. I don't plan on shooting more than 50 yards.

Any suggestions on a red dot that will hold up to a 12 gauge?

3. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

i 've seen on youtube plus seen people at the range using a Vortex Strikefire red dot on a shot gun and having hundreds of rounds thru it with no issues with the red dot . I've also seen higher end optics such as Eotech on shotties with no problems

4. tallbump

That Strikefire looks nice, but over my budget.

I am doing this project to save the $ over buying a hunting rifle. I can make my shotgun a good deer hunter fo less than the cost of buying a dedicated rifle.

Yes, I won't get the same range, but where I hunt that's not really a concern. Plus, I am looking at possibly also hunting in NY and in the area I will be hunting, you can't use a rifle.

I am just wondering if I really need an actual scope (magnifying) if I am only going to be shooting about 50 yards?

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Nope. Irons, red dot, or very low magnification. You throw a 9X up there, you'll see nothing but fur.;)

A 4X could work. 2-7x gives you versatility. I bought a "shotgun" scope at Kmart for $15 when they were selling out all their gun stuff, it's on my Saiga.:p

ETA, a lot of shotgun scopes have a longer eye relief, like 5-6 inches, because the scope mounts forward on many shotguns, and because you really don't want to be two inches from a scope when the shotgun kicks back.;)

ETA again. No one seems to have any stories about destroying a red dot on a shotgun, but lots of stories about cheap ones working fine. They are pretty light, not much mass to stress anything. I like the reflex style, but for hunting, a tube might be better, just because it's protected from stuff you might bang into.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  6. tallbump

Thanks Al. I do worry about a longer tube scope crashing into my fact at recoil as the way it will be mounted is right at the receiver.

[​IMG]

The more I think about it, I like the red dot idea. Just not sure if my eyes are good enough for an unmagnified shot at 50 yards.

I might hit the range this Saturday. They have a 50 yard target. Maybe I'll try it out without anything just to see if I can be reasonably accurate unassisted. If so, then I will probably go red dot

7. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Sounds like a plan. Have fun!:)