Help!!!!!

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by drummerboy_365, Feb 23, 2014.

1. drummerboy_365

drummerboy_365 Member

I have an 995ts I got two years ago and have put 1500-2000 Rnds through it with no FTF or FTE and now i started having trouble. It shoots amazing until the last round. After the last round it locks open after it ejects(like it"s suppose to), however the slide doesn't like to go down without some motivation. I break it down and clean it every 200 Rnds. I love this gun but this is kind of annoying and it hurts to have to use motivation to get it to work.

I know that HP has a lifetime warranty however i have painted the stock so i am unsure if that voids the warranty.

2. bluebone

bluebone Duke of Sarcasm Member

painting the stock wont void anything however breaking it down every 200 rounds is pretty excessive. did you perhaps miss something while putting it back together the last time you broke it down?

3. DeeJayh

DeeJayh Tenderfoot Member

PA
    I know for my JHP45 it's something like clean the bore every 300-400 and a breakdown every 1500-2000, so I'm pretty sure you break down your carbine way too often. It's ok though, I can't throw the book at you, because I would be the pot and you would be the kettle my friend. I rip each gun apart after every practice. I think bluebone is probably on to something, check and see if you have any little parts laying around your dis-assembly area. I recommend, if you don't already, laying out your parts in a "visually representative" way of how they'll go back together either in a tupperware container or (my favorite) on a towel/rag. This will help prevent the loss of small components. Good luck!

4. SteveC

SteveC Member

WV
    This seems to be a problem with some of the carbines. They lock up after the last round. I can't quite remember what the specific part was, but something that is supposed to stop the bolt gets ridden over and the bolt locks back further than it's supposed to. I wish I could remember the thing better, but I suggest you look around in the Carbine threads. The "motivation" required to get the bolt to close is probably not a good thing for it.

5. The LRBHO gets caught behind the catch. It can be fixed as outlined in one of my OLD threads or send it off to mom for warranty rebuild .

6. drummerboy_365

drummerboy_365 Member

Thank you guys for helping me out here! Last night i took it apart and laid out everything, and took an exploded view of it and checked every piece. Every part was there, and i put it all back together taking my time and carefully setting every piece where it is meant to go. i took it out today and sadly its still having the same problem.

The reason for cleaning it so much is i am also really big into BP shooting and it's a must to clean those asap. so i figure while everything is out might as well clean the others i shoot also be fore putting them away.

7. drummerboy_365

drummerboy_365 Member

Do you happen to remember the name of the thread?

8. DeeJayh

DeeJayh Tenderfoot Member

PA
    Black powder can be messy

9. drummerboy_365

drummerboy_365 Member

Yeah very. Its extremely addicting though.

10. Could be a number of things, but if the problem persists, and since you've already put so many rounds through it, might as well send it back to Mom for an overhaul and some TLC.

11. I don't, and after searching I think I deleted the pictures out of my photobucket to clean it out a bit.

http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/forum/f274/problem-995-a-288643/#post1886678 Shows a picture of the part (BHO) that can get stuck behind the BHO CATCH on the inside of the Breech Bolt. The "fix" is to bend the little leg out a couple mm and put a flat face on the leading edge of it with a file or dremel.

Only do this if you are confident in your skills and have some mechanical ability.

The issue was much more common in guns produced prior to 2011, but still shows up once in awhile. It was attributed to parts not being heat treated properly.

12. drummerboy_365

drummerboy_365 Member

Sorry it took so long to get back on. however i did manage to take it apart and do some work to the LRHO. It appeared that the hook that holds the spring was bent down and grinding into the frame and it was really tough to slide up and down, so i bent it back up flat and put a new spring on it because the other one seamed to be stretched out pretty good.

After a break in the snow and rain i made it to the range today and it seamed to function better. It still has the problem if i shoot the last round then load the mag and reinsert it, but at least now i can do it by hand (barely). however if i take the mag out i can drop it down smoothly, so I'm kind of leaning towards it being a mag problem, because before it wouldn't drop down even with the mag out.

P.S. When i put the mag in, I sometimes have to rack the slide twice to pick up the first round. Would that just be the spring in the mag wearing out? (it has been happening the last two times i have been shooting.)

13. drummerboy_365

drummerboy_365 Member

Here are the pics after i bent it back up and put a tighter spring on.

Attached Files: