Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone familiar with these AR's. Most reviews are poor or worse. Early attempt at a polymer lower AR. Shot one today and my friend wants to buy it, for the right price.

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
Considering you can build an AR for about $550 or less.. depending on the parts you use.... I wouldn't be inclined to buy something like this... If the parts are all Mil-Spec then you could use the barreled upper, charging handle and BCG and get a new lower.. If you can pick it up for $300 or less it might be worth it.... From what I have read its the lowers that are the main issue with these older guns... The newer polymer lowers are a great deal better then the older ones were.

·
Premium Member
3,848 Posts
Robert Hesse has one of the worst reps in the gun making industry, and it is well deserved. Run, don't walk, run away from anything with his name on it. Their QC is non-existant, what any other maker would throw in the scrap bin he puts an extra coat of paint on and sells as the "upgraded finish" model! They even dumpster dive in the scrap bbls of other companies for their parts! (see link) Customer Dis-Service is their specialty. Their attitude is you were stupid enough to buy it, it's your problem not ours! Like Todd Bailey, he has renamed his busness a few times to escape the bad rep. They were/are now Vulcan arms and Blackthorne.

http://bananafufu.blogspot.com/2010/02/blackthorne-products-sucks-and-they-lie.html

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
I Stand corrected....

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The price was later set at $300. I told him to skip and get Hi Point carbine in .40 since that would be a common round for him. He just had a chance to run my 995 with great success.

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
The price was later set at $300. I told him to skip and get Hi Point carbine in .40 since that would be a common round for him. He just had a chance to run my 995 with great success.
A much better choice

·
Premium Member
4,995 Posts
I've bought 2 Blackthrones. Out of the box the 1st one is a sub MOA, but the 2nd one wasn't(2.5 MOA). Both work fine, but currently a STAG kit is only about $35 more so I'd get one of them instead.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He want with Bushmaster's polymer AR from Dicks. Hesse is gonna be someone elses problem.

·
Premium Member
3,848 Posts
Bushmaster is now made by Remington, QC on those appears to be lacking also. A buddy bought one, the rear takedown pin won't come out far enough to clear the lug on the upper. Had to literally beat the thing apart and cut a groove in the plastic. Good news is Remington/Bushmaster does have a better customer service rep....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had a Hesse since 1999 and never had a problem with mine. Shoots accurate, doesnt jam Several people got some crappy ones and told a thousand people online. How many posting complaints owned one or go by their buddies word. Funny thing is hesse supplied parts to armalite and bushmaster also.

·
Premium Member
4,995 Posts
The biggest complaint I ever heard about Hesse is that they didn't doing the staking the way that Colt does. I guess they didn't read the US military manuals, because Colt doesn't stake them the way the military wants them. I would have to believe that the US military knows something about how it should be done.

·
Premium Member
3,848 Posts
Hesse is quite capable of providing quality parts and workmanship, and on occasion do so. The problem arises when they should reject a part or even a whole gun and instead sell it just like their first quality stuff. Normally, one would expect a manufacturer to make it right and fix or replace the bad item. They simply refuse, as many have posted. HiPoint has a small number of common problems with their guns if posts here are any indication, as any maker will have. The difference is HP will immediately fix the problem or send out a new part, and even sends you a new mag to compensate you for your inconvenience. No questions asked, no denial there is a problem, etc. HP has an excellent customer service rep. Hesse is the Cousin your parents use as an example of how not to act.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Hesse AR15 that I bought in 2002, and I have not had any trouble out of it. However, I never liked the idea of a plastic reciever, so 12 years later and thousands of rounds thru it, I decided to replace the upper and lower reciever. I installed a Colt upper reciever, and I built a Allstar Tactical reciever, and I installed a yankee hill BCG. I guess you could say it is no longer a Hesse since the only thing that is left of it is the butt stock, barrel, and forearm.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rise from the grave!
Glad yours work out well for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Glad the reference didn't go un-recognized. I pumped plenty of quarters into that game at the Gold Mine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts