Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the forums and have a basic question. I just bought the 995 9mm and a c9 . On the 995 I replaced the stock with the ati stock. The rifle looks great with the exception of the two shroud hex bolts. Has anybody tried replacing them with anything to get away from the True Value Hardware store look?

Thanks Randyaf

·
Registered
75 Posts
I hate the look as well. I've been to the Harware Store and looked at some round head bolts, but they're a little short. I can't remember the name for them, but they attach just like the hex heads.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Honestly, you'll probably be chasing your tail trying to find cool hardware at a True-Value-like place. Look for a specialty fastener company in your area. In Syracuse, I use Rumetco for anything I need. Everything from stainless hex-heads to nuclear-grade bolts. And if you like the polished look, stainless DOES shine up as good or better than chrome ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am going to paint the bolts black over this weekend, I'll drop a piture, I am sure it will make a big difference in the look

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
mom and pop hardware strores often have a better selection of oddball fasteners like those bolts than any big name hardware chain.

SW
I wasn't really talking about a big hardware chain...I was referring to specialty stores/companies that only deal with fasteners.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found my answer. I went to lowes yesterday into the hardware section. They have cabinets with the hard to find odd stuff. In one of the drawers they have black plastic covers for hex bolt heads. I used the ones with the 1/4 holes in them. the bolt slides through them and the cover snaps shut. Improved the looks
100 % plus they hide wrench any rings on shroud. two in a pack @ .68 per pack. Best 1.36 I have spent on carbine so far.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I found my answer. I went to lowes yesterday into the hardware section. They have cabinets with the hard to find odd stuff. In one of the drawers they have black plastic covers for hex bolt heads. I used the ones with the 1/4 holes in them. the bolt slides through them and the cover snaps shut. Improved the looks
100 % plus they hide wrench any rings on shroud. two in a pack @ .68 per pack. Best 1.36 I have spent on carbine so far.
Got any pics?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I really don't like the idea of a cover. I was thinking of something with a small oval head, because I hate the rough feel of the large head. I am in Industrial Sales and occasionally run into a fastenall Rep at a few of my customers. Next time I see him, I am going to talk with him about this and see what he can come up with.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That looks really good, I ay go that route instead of paint, it smooths out the look which goes well with the ati stock, nice job!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
TOday I painted my hex bolts, charger handle bolt, and installed bushman trigger after painting that also. How does she look?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm surprised HP hasn't found a replacement for these by now in light of everyone's comments about them. I guess function over appearance wins the day on this one.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I dont get it wont you still have a nut and a the threads of the bolt sticking out the other side?

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
#1 I've never seen anyone leave the factory heat shield on with the ATI stock, it actually looks OK

#2 As far as the receiver bolts, I just made a run to Handyman and there are two options that would work, one is a universal SS pin and the other is a phillips head deal. Both of these are 1/4" which is slightly larger than the holes in the receiver, therefore to make them work you would have to drill out the receiver holes and shroud holes to 1/4", the length of both of these combos is spot on (I mean both are exact lengths as the stock bolts on the inside where the contact points would meat the shroud, the universal pin set on the last hole is right on the money using the cotter pins), I don't want to do that YET to mine as I can't see that there is much advantage to this, at least for me. Here are pics of the pins I found.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts