42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new to HPFF don't own a HP yet.thinking about the 45acp
also wanting to start reloading. if the purse strings get let out a bit

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah I know I just need to find a great deal on a complete used setup.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
:welcome: from Ohio

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Welcome to the forum from TN. You'll love the JHP45.

I started reloading for the 45 because ammo was har to find and expensive. You don't have to get everything at 1 time. Just decide what you want and get an item or 2 every month and before long you'll have everything you need. I paid for all my reloading with the savings after just 17 boxes.

·
Premium Member
10,385 Posts
:welcome: Take a look around and enjoy.

·
Registered
476 Posts
:welcome: Elkhart IN here .. Visit the Fort about every 5 weeks or so .. :welcome:

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
:welcome: from Bama. Made lots of business trips to Ft. Wayne. At one time I thought I would have to move there.

·
Banned
4,876 Posts
Welcome from a fellow Fort Wayne resident...just moved here myself in August. This is a great bunch of people here, lots to learn.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am new here also, but seen the post and wanted to chime in. I got my HP 45 about 3 weeks ago and even got a laser sight for it ($45) before I ever shot it. I did get to shoot it this weekend and the gun was flawless. Sights were even dead on right out of the box. As far as the bullets, I picked up 1 box of "target" shells (50 rounds) and 1 box of hollow point (100 rounds) and it was $97 otd. Seemed expensive and I would have only bought the "target" rounds but 1 box is all they had. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for the warm welcome so who wants to sell me a 45 for cheap to break my HP cherry :angel:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Welcome to the forum from TN. You'll love the JHP45.

I started reloading for the 45 because ammo was har to find and expensive. You don't have to get everything at 1 time. Just decide what you want and get an item or 2 every month and before long you'll have everything you need. I paid for all my reloading with the savings after just 17 boxes.
How much would it cost to get setup for reloading, and what would the cost per round be for a reload?

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Quinn,

Sort of difficult to answer that. A lot of variables to consider but I'll ballpark it to get the discussion going. I'll start with the least expensive quality kit that has everything you need to start.

Lee Breech Lock Challenger Press Kit $87.00
Lee Deluxe 4 Die Pistol Set in 45ACP $28.00
Digital Caliper $25.00
Total for Hardware = $140.00

Then the consumables powder $22.00/LB, primers $35/1000, bullets $123/1000. Total = $180.00 This will do 1000 rounds or 20, 50 round boxes with a little powder left over.

I'm going to guess you have your brass or can pick up range brass so not going to figure that in the cost. And you can reload it 10-12 times. So brass cost is difficult to estimate.

Total cost $140+$180=$320/20 boxes = $16/box or $ 032cents/round. Last time I checked locally basic plinking 45acp ammo was about $25-35/box.

The above figures are just estimates because component prices vary widely. Shop around and you can beat these prices. The more you reload the more your cost per round goes down. I ignore the setup cost if you plan on reloading thousands of rounds over a lifetime and the cost is just components. Then $180/20 boxes = $9.00 box or $ 0.18 cents/round. IMHO reloading is the only way to go for 45ACP.

Over time you might want to add a tumbler, cartridge gage, etc. These are nice to have but not have to have items.

Here is the link to an easy cost calculator: http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

1 - 20 of 25 Posts