Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Banned
19,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, lets create a difinative Hi cap thread so we can avoid the weekly "what about hi cap mags" threads that seem to pop up time after time.

1. Pro mag 15 rounders are sketchy at best. some members have made them work by modifying the feed lips. ive had zero luck with them. buy at your own risk.

2. the 30 round drum mag that rumors persist about doesnt exist. period. its just rumors.

3. The suomi drum modification has yet to be built and function properly with a HP. Several memebrs have built them (myself included) with no success. there are too many obstacles to overcome in this conersion.

4. double stack mags would require a mojor stock redesign and beemailler has already stated thats not on the table.

5. if you can create a working, reliable magazine of 30 rounds or more, and it is proven by a mod or admin of this board, you will be declared a demi-god and money will fall into your hands in mass quantities (mostly from members here).

SW

· Banned
19,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MOD NOTE- I deleted/edited several posts. This is NOT the topic to discuss the merits of hicaps in HPs vs any other gun. This topic is to convey to new members what works, what doesnt and the current state of mag offerings over 10 rounds. Any further posts not on those subjects will be deleted.

SW

· Banned
19,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The issues me and others ran into with the suomi drum conversion were these:

the spring pressure in a suomi drum is so high (to keep the rounds feeding around the snail type magazine innards) that a HP mag feedlips wont hold them in. they warp outward and allow the rounds to ratle out or they constantly jam because they arent feeding at the right angle. We discussed using a different magzine from another handgun such as a SIG P6 or single stack 1911 9mm design to overcome this but cost was too great for experimentation.

materials. specifically, getting them to stay together. everyone thats done this has had issues with the mag breaking away from the drum body. the material of a HP mag is so thin its almost imposible to weld properly without overheating and making it brittle, and thus prone to breakage. i had the best luck with MIG welding the mag body on after using a die grinder to cut slots in the suomi feedlips and using a grinder ball to rough up the work area. that attempt never did break but after that last round of testing cracks were beginning to appear (about 500 rounds or so). The weght issue may have something to do with this as well.

mag release. a loaded sumoi drum with 72 rounds in it weighs enough it sags lower in the magwell then a regular mag and causes feeding issues. i solved this in my prototype (for testing) by looping a 3" neoprene O-ring from the carry loop of the drum, to a hook i put under one of the reciver cover bolts. this allowed the drum assy to "float" up and down as needed for proper feeding.

stock. the stock must be cut away a small amount to allow clearance of the drum if it is built with 10 round mags. if you used a 15 round promag you could alleviate this.

I did get 40-50 shot stings without a jam when i was in the "middle" of the magazine but it always jammed at the start and finish of a full drum.

Overall i spent over 200$ in testing for drums, mags and other parts and 350$ for tesing ammo and ended up with nada. im sold my prototypes and parts to a user on the old forum to recoup some of my costs and i havent seen him around the new forum.

As for 40 cal hi caps, the only gun i know of that used a magazine over 16 rounds was the MP5-40 and they were 30 round stick mags. Beretta made a prototype series 12 SMG in 40 but it naver made it past the prototype stage.

ETA HK also makes the UMP in 40 S&W. being as the mags are polymer this may be a viable source for a hi cap 40. My searches turned up no sources past HK for mags though.

SW

· Banned
19,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually, Hi-Point has contracted different R&D companies to fabricate the largest capacity round magazine that they can get to reliably work. If they can get 15 rounds to work, that's what they'll go with. If all they can get to reliably work is 12 rounds, then 12 it is. This is for all the pistols and carbines. Hi-Point mags are getting a complete overhaul. Alot of this has to do with our voice on the forum requesting higher capacity mags. You guys may not realize it, but employees at MKS and Beemiller cruise this forum for suggestions and ideas on how to make their weapons better.

This information is straight from Charlie and Kelly who both work for MKS Supply. I was given this information when Elguapo and I were at the Shot Show.

-posted by Primal in another thread. thought id post it here for reference.

SW

· Banned
19,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The reason started with the suomi mags is they are seel and thus alot easier for the home guys to work on. the bersa mags are polymer and thus harder for the DIY crowd to play with.

I know about annealing thin sheetmetal welds, i jst never got that far in the project. i wanted to confirm functionality before i wasted a pile of time with long term reliability. had i come up with a workable, funcitoning deisgn, id have gone back and done that.

http://www.hkparts.net/510.htm
these were only 40 magaines i could find. at 65$ each they aint cheap.

SW

· Banned
19,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
on the subject of welding mags together, i did a few steel CETME mags back during the ban (yes it was legal) to make 40 round 308 mags. its not easy, but its doable-given the material is thick enough. the thin sheet steel of HP mags would be very dificult. if you could find steel tubing the correct size, (i have yet to) you could build one as long as you could make a spring for.

In "expediant homemade firearms" by P.A. Luty, the author talks about making a single stack 9mm magzine from 35x16mm ERW steel tubing and making a mag spring from 20-gauge piano wire. This is theoretically possible but extremly difficult to produce a working finished product. Anyone with a modicum of metal skills can make a mandrel and bend and weld sheet steel better.

SW

· Banned
19,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
a note on the bersa drum mags. they DO NOT fit the hi point and no one has modded any to fit (yet). being the mag itself is plastic it would be very difficult if not impossible to attach a HP magazine to it without destroying it in the process.

SW

· Banned
19,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
i have spoken with pro-mag as have others on here. the drum naver made it out of R&D phase. it was listed on an avialbility sheet some time ago and has spread. IT DOES NOT EXIST! PERIOD! some experimental examples may exist but pro-mag denies they have any. Any listing of out of stock or taking backorders is BS at this point in time. PM said they may continue R&D at a later date but as of now the project is shelved.

SW

· Banned
19,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Regarding ProMag 15 round mags. I ordered 2 a week ago. Got them and they didn't fit (wouldn't lock into weapon). Complained to the seller. Told to call ProMag. Did and they said the latest were recalled due to problems. Said new ones out in 2-3 weeks. Just fyi.
they said teh same thing three months ago and we havent seen squat from them.

SW

· Banned
19,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
well it seems to me that Hi-Point would do a lawsuite against pro-mag for sellinga product that is inferiour and especially under their name. as for Hi point doing a r&d on a hi cap mag dont think we will see it. it has been well over a year since the thread started and they last time I called said they were NOT repeat NOT doing any HI cap mags over the standard 9 since they sell in states that 10 or more are illegal. would be nice if they would.
why would hi point sue promag? they have no legal standing to do so. just because promag makes a crappy product doesnt mean hi point has the right to sue them.

SW

· Banned
19,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
The Kel-Tec Sub 2000 is designed to accept the hi cap glock mags why can't hp do something like that? Kel-Tec Sub 2000 is in the same price range.
Small companies make easy targets. By limiting mags to >10, they don't run any risk of coming up on the wrong agency's radar for hi-cap mags. Some states, like mine, have tricky regulations on mags over a capacity of 10.

I don't know for sure if this is Hi-Point's exact reasoning, but I have a strong feeling it is.
I understand that, even the Kel-Tec Sub 2000 comes with a 10rd mag, but the option is there for those who want a hi cap. mag that works...slap a 33rd glock mag into the gun , just sayin'.
and the kel tec was deswgined POST-ban so there were no limitations. the HP was desgined DURING the ban, wherin even R&D of hi cap mags could land you in federal prison.

SW

· Banned
19,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
I wonder why they don't develop other models then? Making a carbine like the SUB-2000 which uses other brand mags would be an option. They sell 10-rounders with it and the aftermarket sells the hi-caps. At this point it would seem designing a new grip with a larger mag well would be easier.
and it all comes back to development cost. the market already has several competitors in that vien, and HP would be paddling upstream to try and enter it.

SW

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.