Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
21 - 40 of 99 Posts

· Banned
19,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
a note on the bersa drum mags. they DO NOT fit the hi point and no one has modded any to fit (yet). being the mag itself is plastic it would be very difficult if not impossible to attach a HP magazine to it without destroying it in the process.

SW

G

·
I understand the cool fator of having a million bullets in a single clip, and i understand the want/need to mod a toy you love (i am a paintballer with modded pb guns) but I personally think the best way to have a higher capacity is to just buy more 10-round mags and practice quick switching them. :)

· Registered
17,727 Posts
I understand the cool fator of having a million bullets in a single clip, and i understand the want/need to mod a toy you love (i am a paintballer with modded pb guns) but I personally think the best way to have a higher capacity is to just buy more 10-round mags and practice quick switching them. :)
Finally someone who understands. We've been saying this all along. You are only limited to the number of mags you carry with you and how fast you can change them.

G

·
Glad to be an understanding kind of guy :)
My other thought on how many bullets are in a gun at any time is none really matter beyond the first round if u know how to shoot...

G

·
if i could get my hands on some spring material to mess with i bet i could get a working drumm mag.does anyone have some spring material they could donate to the cause i have the sheet metal i might beable to make the spings ,self just for s proto type and then maybe send it off the a spring maker and have a professional pring made.what i would need is a mag follower in .9mm/49s&w and some sping material atleast 18"long and a few mags to chop up to make some of the pieces but i know i could probably make a drum or banna clip a banna clip for sure.
i donno if my suggestion will help but i know at some of my local gun store have buckets of crappy old mags they sell for way cheap. i h=got some bersa mags to dink with but to no avail.

· Premium Member
957 Posts
on the subject of welding mags together, i did a few steel CETME mags back during the ban (yes it was legal) to make 40 round 308 mags. its not easy, but its doable-given the material is thick enough. the thin sheet steel of HP mags would be very dificult. if you could find steel tubing the correct size, (i have yet to) you could build one as long as you could make a spring for.

In "expediant homemade firearms" by P.A. Luty, the author talks about making a single stack 9mm magzine from 35x16mm ERW steel tubing and making a mag spring from 20-gauge piano wire. This is theoretically possible but extremly difficult to produce a working finished product. Anyone with a modicum of metal skills can make a mandrel and bend and weld sheet steel better.

SW
SW, I can tell you that if you use a MIG welder and small 1/16th wire a good welder should be able to get this done. I work in a wheel factory and I use submerged arc welding on these. You would be surprised at what materials can be welded successfully.

· Premium Member
957 Posts
This is an edit:
I mentioned in the previous post using 1/16 wire. Scratch that. What I meant to say was that you can use either .052, or .045 wire. For something that thin I would suggest .045. It won't run as hot, use a low wire feed setting this will reduce the heat you produce in the metal. You will hear some people talk about reducing the volts, that is incorrect, volts create the pressure on the weld, wire speed is the same as amperes this is where you create the heat. I've never tried it, but with a little trial and error I think it could be done.

· Premium Member
10,279 Posts
SW: Maybe I missed something here, but I don't see that my question about the Promag drum was covered here extensively. I made another post about a 30 rd drum because I came across various forsale in web pages. It was a Pro Mag drum 30 rd. No picture was available and it was backordered. I was only wondering if they ever did infact exist because of the listings. Here is one example.

http://www.rugerlcp.com/category/161-Hi-Point_Magazines.aspx

Promag High Capacity Magazine
PROMAG HI POINT 995 30RD DRUM POLY
Promag High Capacity Magazine PROMAG HI POINT 995 30RD ...
Our Price: 43.99
Item # 166125

· Banned
19,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
i have spoken with pro-mag as have others on here. the drum naver made it out of R&D phase. it was listed on an avialbility sheet some time ago and has spread. IT DOES NOT EXIST! PERIOD! some experimental examples may exist but pro-mag denies they have any. Any listing of out of stock or taking backorders is BS at this point in time. PM said they may continue R&D at a later date but as of now the project is shelved.

SW

· Registered
8 Posts
I too am going to try the suomi drum conversion. My buddy sucsessfully converted one for use in his ar-15 in 9mm. So I have a working prototype to copy. and yes you would have to use the 15rnd mag cause its taller..... will let you know if it works....

· Registered
224 Posts
I'm keeping close watch on this thread. I'm hoping the Execs at Hi-Point are too.

I don't know if it has ever been mentioned before, but a lot of times when I insert my 995 magazines, I think I have pushed them in all the way but I have not. You really have to push up with your finger in the center of the bottom of the magazine to make it clicks into place. A Longer magazine that extends past the hand-grip would make it easier to load magazines and get them more effortlessly into position.

· Registered
1 Posts
If only artillery luger snail drums were as common as suomi drums.

http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_info.php?products_id=4143

Unfortunately, if anyone were to buy a $1700 magazine for a $200 rifle I think I'd have call the nuthouse to see if anyone recently escaped... :yes:

I've only ever owned one drum mag that worked reliably... a 50rd mag for my 10/22 that had a rubber belt inside that fed each round and kept them separated to keep them from jamming together. I think it was made by MGW or something?

21 - 40 of 99 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.