Hi capacity mags from MOM

Discussion in 'General Hi-Point Discussion' started by Back2School, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Back2School

Back2School Member

Hi-Point Firearms :eek:
    6 hrs ·

High capacity magazine.
    We know you want them, and we have been listening.
    But it is not something we can just crank out.
    There is quite a bit of research and development in making a higher capacity magazine. It is not a simple as making a longer magazine body and longer spring. It is something that we are looking into. If we do a high capacity magazine it needs to be right.
    Currently there are no details on if it would be 15 rounds, 20 rounds or both.
    It may not be the answer that you wanted but it is the answer for now.

Saw it on Facebook tonight!

2. panoz77

panoz77 Member

This is not new, I have heard this before. Notice no real details. It is called a canned answer to make "you" STFU.

3. Not2ManyGuns

Not2ManyGuns Member

They forgot to add, "We will have them available for purchase as soon as the Cleveland Indians win a World Series.":D

4. cktvt

cktvt Member

It's not as simple as making a longer magazine body and longer spring? Shizzle!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. They haven't gotten the 8/10 rounders right yet.

6. james45

james45 Member

Theres a lot of room in that mag well,we know its possible but I thought hipoint stayed away from hi-cap because of the clinton gun ban...guess it doesn't matter because I know the carbine has made the gun ban list lately in a few states.

7. lsi1

lsi1 Member

ihe reason that hipoint doesn't make a larger magazine is simple economics. we buy twice as many magazines to make up for their low round count. it keeps their product development costs down they don't have to design a standard capacity and then a larger capacity. their shipping departments don't have to be away of which magazines can be shipped where.Also it probably keeps their repair costs minimal as well. loading the mags is a pain in the ass if we had high capacity magazines we'd be loading /shooting more meaning more repair work on their end.

stop working on the hi cap mags and just get the standard capacity magazines right so their reliable right out of the bubble wrap mailer.

8. cktvt

cktvt Member

I don't see why a defunct ban from 20 years ago prevents them from building hi-cap mags now. Even if a ban was reinstated (good luck getting that passed) Hipoint could discontinue production of the hi-caps and just stick with the 10-rounders. Maybe their reluctance (at least until now) is because they want to stay under any legislative radar. :confused:

9. Not2ManyGuns

Not2ManyGuns Member

Well I'm not too sure about that. I currently have eight magazines for my carbine. I'm not going to buy anymore 10 round magazines; but, if they start selling 15 round single stack, or 20 round dual stack-to-single stack magazines, I'm sure I would be interested in getting about 10 of them. I think there is potential money in it for Hi-Point from both current and future carbine owners if they marketed optional larger capacity magazines. I also think others would be interested too, which would add to Hi-Point profits. I'm not sure, but I suspect the net profit over cost ratio to manufacture magazines would actually be higher than for the carbines plus one 10 round magazine itself.

10. cktvt

cktvt Member

I agree - giving the customer what he wants is likely to increase HP's success, not hinder it.

11. Not2ManyGuns

Not2ManyGuns Member

It would be a win-win situation for both Hi-Point and their customers. There are probably potential customers that after considering a Hi-Point carbine go on to purchase a different brand only because the Hi-Point carbines can normally only be used with 10 round magazines. If Hi-Point offered higher capacity magazines there would probably be a larger pool of Hi-Point carbine buyers.

12. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

This comes up every once in a while but the here's a tidbit of info:

Fact: HiPoint carbines where used during the Columbine shooting.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbine_High_School_massacre

Semi fact / Internet rumor:
    Thomas Deeb, President of HP considered shutting down production
    after being severely distraught about Columbine.
    Pretty much swore they would never make a hicap mag.

The above info is cobbled together from info from this forum and from and interview with Deep that I read a year ago so I'm paraphrasing here but that's pretty much what it boils down to.

http://extras.denverpost.com/news/shot0801a.htm

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  13. cktvt

cktvt Member

Wow, never knew that. Good links - thanks.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  14. slade601

slade601 Member

I've been thinking of replacing the 995 I parted with. If they actually will release "high" capacity mags then I just wouldn't be able to come up with a reason to not get a new one.

15. bluharley

bluharley Member

I lived in Colorado Springs at the time, about 15-20 miles south, very sad day. I didn't know what guns they used, thanks for the links.

16. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

Very sad day. But those two had enough weopons and explosives on them, that whether or not the Hi Point had a hi cap mag or not would not have made a difference. If one of the teachers or a guard would have had a gun, that may have made a difference. Again, guns don't kill people, with or without hi cap magazines. People kill people. We may never understand, but we must never forget.

17. panoz77

panoz77 Member

Hi capacity factory Hipoint mags are not going to happen. This is like 9mm vs. .45, it never fails that someone brings it up like it has never been discussed. An angel looses its' wings every time the question is asked.

18. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I have an old college friend who went to Columbine. She graduated just a little before the events.

My mom went to HS with a woman who was on the Pentagon plane; knew her but they weren't friends.

Sometimes things get weird.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

19. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

• I love you.
    • The check is in the mail.
    • I'll respect you in the morning.
    • Hi Point is working on factory hi-cap mags.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

20. Back2School

Back2School Member

ok ok. I wasn't asking for them but when I saw the way they responded on Facebook to someone else, I thought it was cool.

I apparently missed all of the other posts where people have quoted them in the past. :confused:

Edit- an Kirk:
    1. I love you too
    2. thanks for the money
    3. will you respect me now
    4. cool I would love a hi capacity mag.